Springbok luggage ransacked

The Springbok rugby team walked into double trouble when they arrived here on Thursday to prepare for next week’s Tri-Nations Test against Australia.

After a chilly reception from an army of journalists at the airport, coach Jake White and captain Bob Skinstad discovered they had been crime victims.

Skinstad’s laptop computer, camera and cellphone had been removed from his bag and White’s bag had been cut open. It was not immediately known whether he had lost anything.

“My bag was not cut but I’ve lost several items,” Skinstad said.

The Springboks were not completely prepared for the welcome they received from the Australian news media.

The storm over the “weakened” team chosen for the tour of Australia and New Zealand had not died down.

Even though no news conference had been scheduled media representatives were waiting for the Springboks.

There was no chance of slipping into the country unseen because the Australian Rugby Union had provided details of the team’s arrival to the reporters.

Nowhere to run

After the long flight across nine time zones White and Skinstad could also not grab their overloaded luggage trolleys and try to sprint away from the flashing cameras and unfriendly faces at the Kingston Smith Airport.

White had to explain, again, his decision to leave 20 of his leading players at home.

“I say again, this is our best team if you take into account exhaustion and injuries,” White replied when he was asked whether his selection had discredited the game.

“I am sure the players will acquit themselves well,” White said, referring to next week’s match at the Telstra Stadium. “I think it will still be an even battle.”

Skinstad was asked whether the selection of the team was an insult to Australian rugby. “No comment,: he said.

The team’s media manager, Vusi Kama, brought the “interview” to an end. In at least one television news bulletin it was later reported that White had been gagged.

Meanwhile Australian Rugby Union Ceo John O’Neill threatened that he would consider claiming compensation should the union make a loss because of poor ticket sales.

Source: www.news24.com

18 comments for “Springbok luggage ransacked

1. avatar
    Charley
    June 29, 2007 at 7:33 am

Video don’t lie ??? :(

2. avatar
    welshbok
    June 29, 2007 at 8:03 am

I hoped that some all blacks had been cited for spear tackles!!

…video’s don’t lie

3. avatar
    wpw
    June 29, 2007 at 8:09 am

I hope we can beat these overconfident Aussies.

Surely we have good enough players to whipp their asses!!!

4. avatar
    Donner
    June 29, 2007 at 8:27 am

Well I guess someone at ORT has “purchased” a slightly used laptop, camera and cellphone. :grin:

5. avatar
    molly
    June 29, 2007 at 8:39 am

I don’t know why Bob kept that stuff in his bag… obviously he doesn’t travel enough.

6. avatar
    Ollie
    June 29, 2007 at 8:40 am

Charley,
    I’m also wondering where the “Videos don’t lie” comes into it.

Donner, is that the News24 headline,

7. avatar
    Donner
    June 29, 2007 at 8:43 am

Donner, is that the News24 headline,

Comment by Ollie — June 29, 2007 @ 8:40 am

Ollie,

It is based on a mail I received. :grin:

Still want to change it. It was late last night.

8. avatar
    Charley
    June 29, 2007 at 9:03 am

Donner,

Sex, Lies & Videotape…Late last night… :D

9. avatar
    June 29, 2007 at 9:08 am

Geez I thought we had a player cited or sumfink with that title?

10. avatar
    June 29, 2007 at 9:16 am

Is rather an obscure title

11. avatar
    Ollie
    June 29, 2007 at 9:17 am

Maybe Vinnie had a point about the media

***stir***
    ***stir***
    ***stir***

12. avatar
    Charley
    June 29, 2007 at 9:28 am

Wonder where it happened, in South Africa or Australia, most probably (Ouch !!! World Cup 2010)… :D

13. avatar
    Quinnyshark
    June 29, 2007 at 12:24 pm

Non-rugby related, BUT:

Why am I not surprised?

EVERY TIME I travel through OR Tambo, my bag has been opened – locks broken, you name it – & ransacked. I learnt my lesson after the first time & now NEVER carry anything remotely valuable in my luggage. And SAA / OR TAmbo ‘s attitude towards this is so blase & appalling, I try to avoid that airport as much as possible!

14. avatar
    Stan
    June 29, 2007 at 12:37 pm

QS,
    Thats why it is called OR Tambo and not Jan Smuts anymore. It fits with the culture.

15. avatar
    June 29, 2007 at 12:45 pm

I’ve never had anything stolen or opened there

But I know from someone I know in their IR dept at ACSA that it’s a major problem at ORT

16. avatar
    jimc
    June 29, 2007 at 12:54 pm

They even stole my spare pipe, the kind you smoke, nothing else. Its a mad world we live in.

17. avatar
    Ollie
    June 29, 2007 at 12:57 pm

Me neither DavidS

Lucky I guess

18. avatar
    Stan
    June 29, 2007 at 1:08 pm

Kadawer, iets vir jou…

Rhodesian Military Tactics – THE SNAKE THEORY

Selous Scouts

Pretend to be snakes and kill them for a while then give up and go elephant poaching

RLI

Jump in and kill the snakes in country but not interested in going externally or having to sleep out overnight

RAR

If it wasnt for white officers they wouldnt find any snakes unless the snakes bit them in the arse

Independant Companies

Tramp over the country making sure they make so much noise that the snakes know they coming

Guard Force

Sit in their fortified villages and pray the snakes dont attack them

Grey Scouts

Gallop all over the country until eventually have to get get told where the snakes really are

Engineers

Build a huge minefield only to find out snakes can crawl through with ease and the mines kill elephants instead

Artillery

Sometimes bombard snake camps but screw up the fuzes so the snakes escape

Armoured Cars

Drive around looking for snakes until their vehicles get stuck and have to be rescued

Military Intelligence

Have no idea where the snakes are but when the snakes are found by others claim it was from their good intelligence

Special Branch

Torture snakes for information then keep it to themselves until its too late to be of any use

Army HQ

Design new uniforms for themselves and get caught shagging secretaries. Sometimes award medals to themselves for reading sitreps but never make a decision about snakes in case the war end before they promoted.

BSAP

Decide that snakes are criminals and must be tried by rule of law

Military Police

Realise snakes are dangerous so stay in camp and arrest the real snake fighters

Air Force

Fly around and kill some snakes but prefer posing in bars and chatting up women.

SAS

Mean machine motherfuckers who do their best to keep the war going by finding the snake nests and killing them and their families.