A SANZAR Appeals Committee has dismissed an appeal by Australian first five-eighth Quade Cooper against his two-week suspension imposed after the Australia v South Africa Tri Nations Test match in Brisbane on Saturday 24 July 2010.
Cooper had been suspended following a citing for a dangerous tip tackle in the 54th minute of the Test which was won by Australia 30 – 13.
The Appeals Committee was comprised of Peter Hobbs (New Zealand), Terry Willis (Australia) and Peter Ingwersen (South Africa).
The player’s appeal was based on interpretations of rugby laws, their application in this case, and whether the subsequent penalty imposed was appropriate.
Appeals Committee Chairman Peter Hobbs said the committee considered the judicial officer’s original decision, all the evidence put before him including the video footage, and the appeal submissions made on Cooper’s behalf.
Mr Hobbs said the arguments on Cooper’s behalf were comprehensive and complex and required careful and thorough consideration of IRB Regulation 17, the laws of the game, and Cooper’s grounds for appeal.
After a lengthy teleconference hearing, and deliberations, the committee dismissed the appeal.
Quade Cooper’s original suspension imposed by the judicial officer stands and he remains ineligible for selection for two weeks up to including Sunday 8 August 2010.