Kankowski called up to Boks

August 23, 2010

Flanker Juan Smith is the only injury concern in the Springbok camp following the weekend’s last-gasp 22-29 loss to the All Blacks at the FNB Stadium.

SA Rugby

Team doctor Craig Roberts reported at a press conference at Loftus Versfeld today that Smith has an abdominal muscle strain sustained in the first half of the Vodacom Tri-Nations match. Smith did not take part in the training session on Monday morning and is receiving treatment for the injury.

Roberts added that he was confident that Smith would recover in time to be considered for selection for this weekend’s clash with the Wallabies. The team will be announced tomorrow.

“There are a few guys with a bumps and bruises but that was expected after such a physical Test. We are fortunate that we have only one injury concern,” Roberts said. “There were reports that JP Pietersen had an injury but these are completely incorrect and he took part in the full session this morning,” he added.

Meanwhile, Sharks loose forward Ryan Kankowski joined the squad this morning as a precaution. Kankowski was released to his Province after the training camp two weeks ago and put in a solid performance at the weekend as the Sharks downed Western Province in the Absa Currie Cup.

Tags: , , , ,

1. avatar Bokhoring T says:
    August 23rd, 2010 at 2:16 pm

If JPP did not have an injury, what was he doing jogging after Daggs?

No Bismarck – Smit is going to be played into the ground. Are they going to have to guts to bring Chilly on at 50 minutes?

Kanko to replace Juan – Kanko is not a blindside flank?

2. avatar asteroth says:
    August 23rd, 2010 at 2:20 pm

nothing revelational then.

3. avatar Bekke says:
    August 23rd, 2010 at 2:26 pm

same o – same o. Yes, JP as slow as a forward, but he can probably still outrun Banana. Kanko had a good game vs WP, but he did not impress me @ Boks last few games (but then, ANYBODY will be better than Stomp Spies).

August 23rd, 2010 at 2:27 pm

Reply to asteroth @ 2:20 pm:

How disappointing…

Some more tit-bits from Voldy:

On Vic and Pierre’s indifferent form - ‘There’s definitely something wrong with Victor. I have to speak to him. The same with Pierre. He’s not right.’

On the match – ‘What stood between us and an easy victory was one kick,’ he said. ‘If it had gone out 5m from their try line we would have set the lineout drive up and it would have been all over. That [error] had a ripple effect.

‘From where I was sitting looking through my binoculars I could see the fear in their [the All Blacks'] eyes. We thought we had [the victory] in the bag.’

On Frans Steyn who is now with the Boks - ‘I had planned to go to France to speak to Frans, but I just haven’t had the time. I will go and talk to his coach as well as the owner of his club about his availability. I will do the same with the coaches of BJ Botha [Ulster] and Butch James [Bath].

‘There can’t be any miscommunication. We can’t have what happened before the Wales Test [in June, where James was withheld by Bath] happen again. We’ve learned from the disruptions of the past. I need to get my ducks in a row.’

‘This whole storm around Frans is about miscommunication. I’ve had a nice chat to him since he’s arrived in South Africa and he understands his role in the next two Tests.

‘It’s a good thing you can’t see people’s hearts. You can’t see what’s inside, you can only see what’s on the surface. It’s like some people [the media] who smile in press conferences but then you see what’s really in their hearts when you read the paper.

‘Frans is interacting well with the others, but I think it’s a bit premature to say he’s happy.’

5. avatar Bokhoring T says:
    August 23rd, 2010 at 2:40 pm

WTF?

6. avatar Bokhoring T says:
    August 23rd, 2010 at 2:41 pm

Reply to Bekke @ 2:26 pm: In the first half JP chased the kickoffs like a freaken Scud missile – his hit on the nonchalant Cowan was priceless

7. avatar Fromthebottomoftheruck says:
    August 23rd, 2010 at 2:58 pm

I didn’t see too many AB’s catching the high balls – they all seemed to spot a friend in the crowd just as the ball came down.

8. avatar Bekke says:
    August 23rd, 2010 at 3:05 pm

Bokhoring, I only saw “highlights” – Pivvie has cured me from Bok rugby. I have not seen any 3N live and will also not for the rest of the tournament. And my Saturday was great!

9. avatar farjan says:
    August 23rd, 2010 at 3:10 pm

Probably means Flouw will get the 7 jersey.

Hopefully Butch gets more game time. Morne not looking his best

Same with Chilli and John

All else the same. Should take Aus

August 23rd, 2010 at 3:16 pm

====
    So no excuses why he was so shit?

Reply to Bokhoring T @ 2:16 pm:

Kanko to replace Juan – Kanko is not a blindside flank?
    ====
    Oh yes he is – in Snor’s books. Sub 7 v Wales,
    starting 7 v OZmob.
    Are Potgieter and Stegman both
    inured?

I need to get my ducks in a row.’
    =====
    You don’t even have the ducks.
    More like turkeys.

11. avatar Namboer says:
    August 23rd, 2010 at 3:28 pm

Reply to Morné @ 2:27 pm: Is daai nou veronderstel om woorde uit die spreekwoordelike perd se bek te wees?!!? 8O

Grote Griet (minding the pun), ek dag dis van Voldy se muppits se komments!

:oogle: :jester: :oogle:

12. avatar Bokhoring T says:
    August 23rd, 2010 at 3:42 pm

Definitely some turkeys running loose today

13. avatar farjan says:
    August 23rd, 2010 at 3:52 pm

Don’t think it would be wise to make major changes at this point. Keep changes to minimum – should have enough to take Aus.

Look at the Currie Cup for new faces and start introducing from EOYT. Bit early to start throwing around CC names. Lets wait for the business end of Currie Cup (its not the greatest indicator of test potential)

Same with additional coaching expertise. Need work in the attacking department: making more effective use of ball in hand and little bits of added input in the tactical department. Time to find Judas Jones Version 2011.

World Cup still a fair while away. Still a good core in place.

Feels like 2006 repeating itself with hopefully fewer overall losses. Additional coaching input, some tactical refinement, some brave calls and we back in the game.

14. avatar Bokhoring T says:
    August 23rd, 2010 at 4:20 pm

Bismarck was the incumbent Bok hooker (granted that he started one game in the EOYT) before his injury. Personally thinks he add much more to the bench than Chilliboy

Similarly Beast is fresh, his illegibility issues sorted, and raring to go

Both players were outstanding against a highly rated WP front row – same front row as the S14 team

Imagine bringing on a fresh Bismarck / Beast at 50 minutes

August 23rd, 2010 at 4:20 pm

Reply to Bokhoring T @ 2:40 pm:

WTF is an understatement!

I’ll no longer be supporting the Boks with this ignorant, egomaniac and walking contradiction of a buffoon at the helm…

Boks will not make it past the first play-offs in the RWC with this tool attempting to pull the strings.

August 23rd, 2010 at 4:23 pm

Ok so there was nothing wrong with Hougaardt?? WTF ???

Did not know PDV have the ability to read peoples heart and minds….just great to have such a perosn with so much ability to coach our national team….rather freaking concern you with getting the team to play rugby than treat peoples hearts or minds…idiot.

17. avatar Namboer says:
    August 23rd, 2010 at 4:47 pm

Reply to Bokhoring T @ 4:20 pm: Can’t fault that at all, those 2 definitely stood out for me too during the weekend’s game. Good idea to use them as subs, maybe Spies too – imagine the last 20 with those 3 on the rampage on the park!!!
    {Snorrie, ek fkn hoop jy fkn lees hierdie!!!!!}

But do I understand correctly that they were not called up, only Kanko? Bismarck was mos invited to the group, maybe that counts for something?

August 23rd, 2010 at 8:33 pm

Reply to Morné @ 2:27 pm:

Those tidbits from Voldy makes
    me wonder how in hell did Snor
    pass the psychometric tests to
    become the coach?

19. avatar Fromthebottomoftheruck says:
    August 23rd, 2010 at 8:43 pm

Reply to Boertjie @ 3:16 pm: JP was pretty good chased the high ball well. We don’t have wings in SA to run with the ball, their job is to congratulate Morne when he puts up another bomb.

August 24th, 2010 at 9:22 am

Reply to Fromthebottomoftheruck @ 2:58 pm:

Yup

100% correct

Mils Muliaina in particular was piss poor in this respect and it shows that the Bok tactic of hoisting on their back three is spot on 100%correct. Jane similarly poor and Rockokokokokok was just nowehere to be seen where there was a hoisted ball in the air and suggesting it may come down in the quarter of the field he was standing in. Several unforced errors came off AB’s not being able to take high stuff.

And yes

by the time JP Pietersen turned to chase Dagg had about seven metres on him inside the 22 … what exactly was he supposed to do? Turn and break into a sprint and chase down a guy at full tilt over fifteen metres…

Anyone who criticizes him for “jogging” does not deserve to have a television to watch rugby with. Usain Boltt at full fitness with an Olympic medal at stake would have given up.

Pietersen was the second best backkline player on the field along with Francois Hougaard as the best…. we no longer need to worry about FDP’s successor…

ps.

I listen to a black youth radio station because I cannot stand the white ones. YFM… and they had a call in yesterday about “Die Bokke”*

The general consensus was that the coach is a moron and the second thing they LOUDLY complained about was why RickieJanuarie was played… GLRU and YFM had a comp last week where they gave away five sets of double tickets to the game to contestants who had to prove their loyalty by various songs… one a rap, one R&B one Kwaito etc… very hotly contested and clever ply by GLRU.

However the eventual result, which will not please SARU and especially not Butthole Kompompela is that black youth don’t really give a damn about the Boks being transformed… they care about the Boks winning.

PUNT KLAAR FULLSTAOP NO FURTHER DISCUSSION END OF STORY

21. avatar Namboer says:
    August 24th, 2010 at 10:23 am

For some weird reason this is on SuperRugby’s frontpage. Gremblin maybe, but check out the date and team at the time:

02/11/2005, 18:15
    Springbok team: Percy Montgomery, Conrad Jantjes, Jaques Fourie, Jean de Villiers, Bryan Habana, Andre Pretorius, Bolla Conradie, Jacques Cronje, Juan Smith, Solly Tyibilika, Victor Matfield, Bakkies Botha, CJ van der Linde, John Smit (capt), Os du Randt.

Replacements: Eddie Andrews, Hanyani Shimange, Albert van den Berg, Schalk Burger, Michael Claassens, De Wet Barry, Brent Russell.

22. avatar Bokhoring T says:
    August 24th, 2010 at 10:46 am

Davids – I had another look at the replay of the last try. JP was less than a metre behind Daggs when he receives the ball from Nonu. Daggs pulls away slightly and ends up about 2 metres ahead at the goal line

In JP’s defense, the man must have been exhausted by then based on all his good chasing, and Daggs was fresh. And I think he has only played one match for the Sharks (against the Lions) before being called back

23. avatar Brendon Shields says:
    August 24th, 2010 at 11:31 am

Reply to DavidS @ 9:22 am:

welcome to the dark side my friend. YFM is a great station and so not Malema-esque. Gives you hope.

But its the same. No one on RSG will be able to nbame 2 players in Bafana and no one cares, as long as they win (or play with gusto), they will have the support of Oom Jaap from Heilbron.

Do yourself a favour. Ask 10 girls aged 5 to 7 which rugby team they think is cool. I bet 6 out of 10 will say the Bulls. Kids, Blacks, Tannies, Morons Barefoot Skiers, Ballroom dancers – everyone is inspired by a WINNER!

24. avatar JT says:
    August 24th, 2010 at 11:32 am

Reply to Brendon Shields @ 11:31 am:

like the reds :soek: :twisted:

25. avatar Brendon Shields says:
    August 24th, 2010 at 11:37 am

yes like the reds.

who made both super 14 finalists make a million tackles en route to comfortable wins.

26. avatar Brendon Shields says:
    August 24th, 2010 at 11:42 am

but its ok JT I know in your opinion the Boks game plan is just rock solid and that jerseys 11/13/14/15 is just there to chase kicks from 10 and support 12 when he goes to ground after another straight run where he does not even attempt to pass.

As long as we get the opposition to make mistakes so we can earn the golden 3-pointer….

27. avatar Brendon Shields says:
    August 24th, 2010 at 11:43 am

but this a Kanko thread so tell me when last did we see any 12 in this land (apart from De Jong) run the angle and step like kanko did on Saturday?

when last?

fok this annoys me :realangry:

28. avatar JT says:
    August 24th, 2010 at 11:45 am

Reply to Brendon Shields @ 11:42 am:

Never – tell me what I think and believe! I am for a open minded game-plan! Adapt to what is happening and play to the weaknes of the opposition!

: bigfinger:

29. avatar Bokhoring T says:
    August 24th, 2010 at 11:46 am

Reply to Brendon Shields @ 11:43 am: Granted all he had to beat was a few fatties and Conrad Jantjes.

Still he displayed some good skills in both tries – the perfectly timed pass to Daniel to break the line, and then dancing with the fatties for his own try

August 24th, 2010 at 11:49 am

Reply to Brendon Shields @ 11:43 am:
    :Bakkies:

Reply to JT @ 11:45 am:
    :Bakkies:

:whistling:

31. avatar Brendon Shields says:
    August 24th, 2010 at 12:00 pm

Reply to JT @ 11:45 am:

yet you say our game plan is steady?

Reply to Bokhoring T @ 11:46 am:

Yes in that channel you mostly find fatties, yet no 12 in this land can do this? They always make contact with the first defender? Kanko avoided contact.

Simple concept really.

32. avatar JT says:
    August 24th, 2010 at 12:06 pm

Reply to Brendon Shields @ 12:00 pm:

Jy weet fokkol van my en will vir my vertel wat ek dink!?
    :realangry:
    I have my problems with the Bokke gameplan but I am not going to through something out the window that works for a high risk pass/run from everywhere gameplan made for players we do not have!
    What I have been saying is that play what is in front of you! Come to my training sessions to get an idea of my game philosophy! You may not agree but then you at least know what I am talking about. Run if the opportunity presents itself, kick if the circumstances present itself.
    One thing I HATE is taking it through the phases! Waste of f%&$&ing time!

33. avatar Bokhoring T says:
    August 24th, 2010 at 12:07 pm

Reply to JT @ 12:06 pm: Unless it is wasting the other team and winding down the clock

34. avatar JT says:
    August 24th, 2010 at 12:11 pm

Reply to Bokhoring T @ 12:07 pm:

I am not going to build up an attacking platform from putting phases together. 3 phases is my max before we try something else. I have a few moves that require 3 phases which is the worst case scenario – my plan is to score from 1st phase.
    What is a phase? IMO a SLOW ruck ball! Quick “moving rucks” is the idea I am working on.
    Rucks are IMO only good for turn-overs so I hope the opposition play a multiphase game against my team.

35. avatar Brendon Shields says:
    August 24th, 2010 at 12:17 pm

Reply to JT @ 12:06 pm:

chill boetie we have had this argument many times I am not against you just your opinion.

I also do not like phases.

I also do not like a free for all plan where the fat forwards hang around in the backline.

All I ask is that we respect the individual attributes of the players we select and formulate a game plan where all our collective attributes are utilised.

Why select Aplon and De Jong and Habana if all you want to do is kick and chase and defend?

Why do we not have set piece moves where the aim is to get the 15 on an overlap with space on the outside?

It seems all our good ball then goes to either 8 or 7 who has to take it up and make the yards.

Why not trust our backs to conjure up space?

Again liek I have said to you 100 times, its a MINDSET issue. We are not in the minset where we run onto the field with the mission to score tries.

Instead we

1) dont want to lose so our defence is solid.
    2) we dont want to risk anything so we keep it tight and among the pack.
    3) our main reward is a 3 pointer gained from the opposition making mistakes in a punishable part of the field

36. avatar Brendon Shields says:
    August 24th, 2010 at 12:20 pm

So now see what Genia does for Reds.

They have players running at speed from deep and around the fringes of the loose and its simply Genias job to ‘play it as he sees it’ and pass to the player he feels has the least resistance.

No phase bullocks. No pods set up to attack. Just everyone running at pace with one general deciding who gets the pill.

Its a very simple gameplan which seeks one thing and one thing only:

a line break.

37. avatar JT says:
    August 24th, 2010 at 12:26 pm

Reply to Brendon Shields @ 12:20 pm:

My gameplan is basically similar but we call the channel we want to attack and get strike runners running off the shoulder of the ball carrier attacking that channel.
    The forwards are split into 2 pods + 2 (props) and they need to get to the breakdown to clear quickly to get fast ball. The 2nd pod runs an attacking angle to take up the ball at pace.

Pods not always bad.
    Running and passing not always on.
    Defense is 50% of the game so :applause: if you are solid here!

Rugby is not right or wrong but a mix of ideas who all have merit.

38. avatar Bokhoring T says:
    August 24th, 2010 at 12:35 pm

Still think South Africans generally lacking in support play. If you want to be an attacking force, you need support players to be aware of what the guy with the ball is doing, and similarly the attacker need to be aware of where the support is

39. avatar Brendon Shields says:
    August 24th, 2010 at 12:38 pm

problem with pods are they only consist of big players.

imagine a game where a steppinbg 12 like de jong gets to take on opposing 3′s and 5′s next to the ruck? Or Habanas coming in at pace.

See Danies try VS oz where Jean Divs came in on angle next to line-out. It works – so we never did it again?

40. avatar Bokhoring T says:
    August 24th, 2010 at 12:39 pm

Personally think one Jacques Botes is the best supporting flank in the country – the guy just has the uncanny ability to be in the right place.

41. avatar Bokhoring T says:
    August 24th, 2010 at 12:41 pm

Reply to Brendon Shields @ 12:38 pm: and they inevitably start from standstill 2 meters from the defense

August 24th, 2010 at 1:06 pm