Juan to captain Boks on EOYT?

August 31, 2010

With the Tri-Nations about to be wrapped up from a South African perspective shifted has already started to shift to the End of Year Tour.

Hendrik Cronje – Sport24

Peter de Villiers wants to give Springbok supporters value for their money and that is why he won’t rest any of his heavyweights for Saturday’s Tri-Nations Test against the Wallabies.

“I had to weigh up what people want and what they pay for,” said the Springbok coach.

“These are their heroes and they deserve to see them. The important issue is how the players are managed during the week so that they can play for 60 minutes or make an impact.

“It’s not just about picking a team because I also have to consider the role-players. I consider the supporters important role-players.”

With the Bok coach unlikely to rest overplayed senior players this week unless injury strikes, there is a good chance that flank Juan Smith will captain the Springboks on their end-of-season tour.

Smith can then take over the captaincy from John Smit. The hooker is likely to be rested alongside other senior players such as Bryan Habana, Victor Matfield and Schalk Burger with a view to having them fresh at the 2011 World Cup in New Zealand.

Smith missed a number of games in this year’s Super 14 and Tri-Nations due to personal reasons and that will make it possible for him to be picked as captain should the Bok coach decide to rest players.

The Cheetahs skipper also did not play during the away leg of the Tri-Nations and looks hungry for rugby – compared to Smit, who has played too much rugby according to his coach.

No final decision has been taken regarding the matter as Smith is a key player in the Springbok team with a view to 2011 and De Villiers indicated earlier that the tour to Europe would be a dress rehearsal for the World Cup.

However, the vast amount of rugby played may convince De Villiers to rest the senior players and entrust Smith with the captaincy duty.

Meanwhile, De Villiers said he was delighted with the impact of his substitutes bench against the Wallabies at Loftus Versfeld. He did not want to single out hooker Chiliboy Ralepelle for the huge impact he made.

Tags: , ,

August 31st, 2010 at 8:53 am

But it’s a G-Slam tour…

2. avatar Brendon Shields says:
    August 31st, 2010 at 10:45 am

I would go for Bekker if he is fit.

many senior players to support.

Bismarck/Brussouw/Beast/JPP/Juan/F Steyn/Bakkies/FdP

Thats already a strong enough core.

Player who can possibly impress before WC2011 in my opinion is:

Daniller (back up 15 specialist 15)
    Mvovo (starting 14)
    Basson (starting 14)
    Lambie (back up various)
    Alberts (starting 8)

Thats about it. Apart from this I cannot think of any players not in the mix who should be given a shot at this stage.

3. avatar Brendon Shields says:
    August 31st, 2010 at 10:47 am

Players to rest and condition:

Burger
    Morne
    Spies
    Smit
    Habana
    Matfield
    Jean Divs
    J.Fourie
    Jannie Dup

Thats not too many.

4. avatar Brendon Shields says:
    August 31st, 2010 at 10:52 am

Then again I dont trust an afrikaans captian. They sound studpid to the press who then eats them up in Europe.

And Bekker slept around so he is not the best role model.

Feck who else?

Yes Juan inspires but he is not a strategically sound captain. Ask me I back the Cheetahs, where I much prefer Strauss’ leadership.

In my perfect dream world I would have Habana my 13 and my captain.

August 31st, 2010 at 11:11 am

NEWS ITEM:

Caster Semenya has already given thought to what she might do after running – such as becoming a boxer.
    =========
    It takes balls to be a boxer.
    Oh well, she’s got something
    going for her.
    :evil:

6. avatar Fromthebottomoftheruck says:
    August 31st, 2010 at 6:52 pm

Reply to Brendon Shields @ 10:47 am: 9 is quite a lot of players to rest, but wouldn’t argue they all need a break. They could use a few overseas Boks like Ruan to add some experience.

August 31st, 2010 at 7:31 pm

Reply to Fromthebottomoftheruck @ 6:52 pm:

Good time to expose our much
    vaunted pool of talent and see
    if there’s any truth in it.

8. avatar Fromthebottomoftheruck says:
    August 31st, 2010 at 9:50 pm

Reply to Boertjie @ 7:31 pm: I just hope they surprise us in a good way with good players and a new game plan, not like the mid week teams last year.That was a disaster.

9. avatar mawm says:
    September 1st, 2010 at 12:13 am

Brendon 10:47 – J Fourie doesn’t need a rest. He has only recently come back from an injury and a suspension. I’d take him a long and use him to test Fransie, de Jong, Butch in combination with him. De Jong can also play 13 and be matched with Fransie and Butch.

I agree with the rest staying behind.

10. avatar out wide says:
    September 1st, 2010 at 2:29 am

Hendrik Cronje’s article makes a lot of sense but PdV doesn’t.

I wouldn’t even wait for the EOYT, let the well-rested and on fire Juan Smith captain the side in Bloem on Saturday and rest John Smit who like the other over-worked players mentioned above, deserve a break. Nobody in Bloem is going to stay away from the match because John Smit is not there, in fact they will stream in if one of their own is the Bok captain.

PdV needs to be told that his first responsibility is to his players and not the supporters – the last coach who got involved worrying about short-changed supporters was Nick Mallet and we all know what happened to him after that :lol:

11. avatar UFO says:
    September 1st, 2010 at 8:29 am

pposted this on the other thread…

yep… juan is the first name on my team sheet… every time… if he’s fit and available for selection he’s number one for me… have been saying this since he first played for the States… and will say it till Juan decides time is up…

i believe there hasn’t been a more consistent bok… ever…