It’s Sharks all the way

October 25, 2012

It is Currie Cup Final time, and early indications are only one team has a real chance of winning the famous Cup.

Finals of course, are finals and anything can happen, but I cannot remember off-hand when last a final was this much in favour of one team.  That team of course is the Sharks who has been in sublime form in 2012.

The Sharks started their run of form towards the end of the Super Rugby season where they finished very strongly after struggling a bit in the opening rounds.  They reached the tournament final after dismissing the very same Cape side (in a different jersey) they will meet in the Currie Cup final this weekend.  This time around however, it’s in their own backyard in Durban where they have been unbeaten this year.

The Sharks comfortably ended top of the log in the Currie Cup with no real problems on the way.  They clubbed the Blue Bulls last weekend in the semi-final with the type of authority that almost makes it impossible to bet against them going all the way.

Last week I was asked to name a form Currie Cup XV of 2012 and after some deliberation I finally put 15 names down.  Upon reflection I was actually quite surprised how few Sharks players I had in this team given their dominance – but it then dawned on me that the Sharks strength in 2012 is not so much because of individual brilliance, but a total team effort.

Their combinations simply work, the team environment is a happy, settled one, and their approach the most balanced of all SA teams.  The team is not dependent on individual brilliance to pull them through matches even though they have a number of really classy players.  In short, they are one helluva tough team to beat.

Western Province on the other hand had an up-and-down season.  Initially they started like a house on fire with a bunch of youngsters with little to no experience at this level.  Somewhere in the middle they suffered a string of losses but through sheer guts managed to secure a semi-final (away from home) and sneak it in the dying seconds of that match to book their final.

I know supporters always expect nothing less than ultimate success meaning that they have to produce trophies, but if you consider that 6 players from the match-day 22 for Western Province still qualify to play U/21 then their fans should be pretty pleased where their team is heading – especially since their U/21 team who are missing these players (Scarra Ntubeni, Steven Kitshoff, Frans Malherbe, Eben Etzebeth, Wilhelm van der Sluys, Damian de Allende, Nizaam Carr and Siya Kolisi) have still managed to make the final of the U/21 competition!

In his selections it is clear Allister Coetzee is expecting a direct assault from the Sharks team who will look to win the collisions.  With an almost complete Springbok front-row, and a Springbok capped back-row the Sharks should have no problems in the first phase areas of the game, but if their momentum is disrupted as I suspect is Allister’s plan, WP might be able to cause an upset.

With conditions set to be wet and miserable, I believe WP is expecting and preparing to live of scraps and with dangerous players like Habana, Aplon and De Jongh in open, broken play, it might just work.

For the Sharks their job is simple, the forwards must lay down the platform for Pat Lambie to dictate matters from flyhalf.  They will no doubt target WP’s first phase possession at scrums and line out’s and with a young WP front row and a hooker who throws 90% of the time to his number 2 jumper, matters might get very ugly very quickly for WP.

When all is said and done we are set for a fascinating contest with two teams who will approach the game very differently.  Where WP will look to disrupt the Sharks momentum and I believe specifically target young Cobus Reinach, as well as shift contact points as quickly and as often as possible.  The Sharks will simply look to bully their inexperienced opponents with a direct game and not allow them any ball.

We have seen stranger things happen in rugby and in finals, but I don’t think it will happen this weekend – the Sharks will lift the Cup and for my money win quite comfortably by 10 or more points.

Tags: ,

1. avatar Craven says:
    October 25th, 2012 at 2:23 pm

Sorry Morne, but last week you harped on about Province’s weakness in the lineouts and they dominated the Lions.

On the other hand the Sharks were poor against the Bulls in their semi.

Now again you are on about the Sharks dominating Province in lineouts. What is on with that?

2. avatar Craven says:
    October 25th, 2012 at 2:24 pm

Agreed with the general sentiment that the Sharks must be favourites though.

3. avatar Pokkel says:
    October 25th, 2012 at 2:24 pm

So I see you are also joining the ‘Sharks can’t lose’ bandwagon??

And this after you picked a Bulls win last weekend? :Dawie:

I must tell you that as a Sharks supporter I’m very nervous about this game mostly because of all the media advocating a definite Sharks win.

The Sharks tend to lose to lesser opposition when they are favourites. Refer to losses to the Lions in recent years. :Boertjie GOM:

October 25th, 2012 at 2:50 pm

Reply to Craven @ 2:23 pm:

Dominated the Lions in the line outs?

I missed that part.

I recall the Lions losing one line out, WP throwing the ball on the #2 jumper 90% of the time.

The Sharks were up against two Bok locks and a vastly experienced hooker in the start, and a Bok hooker at the end while they played youngster Marais & Bresler and their 3rd choice hooker Cooper.

October 25th, 2012 at 3:00 pm

Reply to Pokkel @ 2:24 pm:

I did pick the Bulls, unfortunately they thought it wasn’t a good day to play rugby – but thats how predictions goes.

6. avatar biltongbek says:
    October 25th, 2012 at 3:04 pm

Reply to Morné @ 3:00 pm: Can’t beleive you picked the Bulls.

You seriously believed they would win last weekend?

October 25th, 2012 at 3:18 pm

Reply to biltongbek @ 3:04 pm:

Could win, not would win. The previous meeting at the Tank was a 1 point game, they beat them at Loftus.

I did, I said I went against the form book for that game as the Bulls would want to prove something but the only thing they managed to prove is why they were last on the log going into the last week.

Bulls was just no-where.

October 25th, 2012 at 4:45 pm

And WP will also be nowhere.

9. avatar Mug Punters Organisation of South Africa says:
    October 25th, 2012 at 11:23 pm

I hope good running rugby wins and Bambie shows why he should be Bok flyhalf.

Its finals time so temperament and team effort is everything as well as a good coach. I do think the Sharks coaching setup is better than province’s as testament to the diverse game plan and wins.
    This going to be rough as both teams are going to throw everything at it. Games like this are made with a moment of brilliance.

I think the Sharks will score from Habadonna going out of the line as the Kiwis did this in their win.

Province did well to beat such a good Lions side although I think the little shirt flyhalf choked.

At least that dick Mark is not reffing.

10. avatar Craven says:
    October 26th, 2012 at 10:15 am

Reply to Morné @ 2:50 pm:

“WP throwing the ball on the #2 jumper 90% of the time”

And how did that work out for them?

October 26th, 2012 at 10:31 am

Reply to Craven @ 10:15 am:

Pretty well, but if I could pick it up and tweet about it during the game imagine what Plum would have noticed and prepared for this weekend?

12. avatar Craven says:
    October 26th, 2012 at 11:24 am

I think Plum was too worried about his own lineout?

Reports suggested he was considering playing du Toit to bolster his lineout. They really did take a pounding in the lineouts, Bok locks or not.

13. avatar Craven says:
    October 26th, 2012 at 11:27 am

Anyway, not to make excuses, but this very young Province did very well to make it to the final. With the injury horrors the STormers and WP experienced this year, as a supporter I am proud of what the team had accomplished.

Would I like them to win something for a change? Naturally, but even if they lose tomorrow, these youngsters make me excited about the future.

14. avatar Jacques(Bunny)Morne Steyn is Baas says:
    October 26th, 2012 at 11:57 am

Reply to Craven @ 11:27 am: Yip and even AC said in the beginning of the CC that this is just to get players ready for Supershit. Like or not but that is what the CC has become.

A final is a Final so anything can happen on the day but SHarks should take this with no real problems.

Hope WP is hunger and shows it tommorrow, would also like to have some kind of reward for the team to put with Vodacom Cup.

October 27th, 2012 at 8:33 am

Seuntjie aan sy oa:’ Pappa, ek dink my meisie is te oud vir my.’. Pa:’ Hoekom?’. Seuntjie:’ Sy se dat sy al gesien het hoe die WP die Currie Beker wen!’

October 27th, 2012 at 8:35 am

As for the game, I believe the Sharks must be firm favourites, they have consistantly beaten the capetonians in crunch games over the last few years. But I have a small niggling feeling that Province is going to pull this off, and the Sharks are going to choke. I’d hate for that to happen, cos then I cant tell the joke again next year.

October 27th, 2012 at 10:48 am

Reply to Aldo @ 8:35 am:

Last time WP won the Currie Cup petrol was R2.78 a litre…

October 27th, 2012 at 12:01 pm

Haha, maybe Province should win then, might see a dramatic drop in the price of petrol

19. avatar Duiwel says:
    October 27th, 2012 at 12:04 pm

Go Sh

20. avatar Duiwel says:
    October 27th, 2012 at 12:04 pm

Sharks!!

21. avatar Pokkel says:
    October 29th, 2012 at 9:29 am

Reply to Pokkel @ 2:24 pm: Reply to Morné @ 3:00 pm:

So unfortunately I was right. The favourites tag weighed too heavily on the Sharks.

I really excited about next year’s S15. The Sharks should have a great squad.

Well done WP!! Congrats!