Habana confirms Toulon move

January 11, 2013

After news broke earlier in the week that Springbok and Stormers wing, Bryan Habana is negotiating with French club Toulon, the winger confirmed that he has signed a pre-contract agreement.

The deal is said to be a 3-year stint for the French club which will start and the end of the 2013 Super Rugby season.

Speaking on the Stormers official website, Bryan said that it was a tough decision to make but one he could not turn down.

“It’s a wrench to leave my home, even if only for a short while, but the chance to test myself against different opposition in a new environment was difficult to turn down,” he said.

“I’ve had three great seasons in the Cape thus far and I am looking forward to finishing off on a high before taking on a new challenge overseas. Hopefully we can build on the success we experienced last year – this young team has the opportunity to dominate for years to come and I’m proud to be sharing my experience with the next generation of star players.”

WP Rugby CEO also confirmed the move saying Bryan will be sorely missed by the Cape team.

“As sad as it is knowing that Bryan will be leaving us after this year’s Vodacom Super Rugby season, he does so with our blessing and we would like to thank him for his contribution to the DHL Western Province and DHL Stormers teams over the past three years.

“We would like to wish Bryan and his wife everything of the best for their new chapter abroad, but we also look forward to him giving his all for the DHL Stormers during the 2013 Super Rugby season.”

Capped 83 times at Test level for the Springboks – and their all-time leading try-scorer – Habana has made it clear that he is available to continue represent his country, should he be selected. “Playing for the Boks is a huge part of my life and I would never turn my back on my country,” he said. “I’ll never stop giving 100% on the field for any team I play for and if the Springbok coach picks me, I’ll be there.”

Tags: , , , ,

1. avatar Pokkel says:
    January 11th, 2013 at 12:43 pm

I wonder how much Toulon paid the Stormers to release Habana from his contract?

2. avatar Vetgesmeerde Blits says:
    January 11th, 2013 at 3:15 pm

Good for him. With Habana turning 30 this year it is a good time for him to take thing easier and earn some euros.

One of the best Boks of all time.

January 11th, 2013 at 5:13 pm

All these players want is a chance to play…..
    …..
    ….for lots of money. :wink:

January 11th, 2013 at 10:01 pm

Reply to Timeo @ 5:13 pm:

Nice

Well he was useless anyway… could never run in a pod…

5. avatar Mug Punters Organisation of South Africa says:
    January 14th, 2013 at 5:43 am

Reply to Timeo @ 5:13 pm: yep but we always hear about the country, play for your country blah blah.

I wont miss Bryan, the big screen watching one trick show pony will find the non superstardom humbling and he might return more grounded. Then his rugby will improve.

6. avatar Ollie says:
    January 14th, 2013 at 12:38 pm

Eish, Toulon are lucky they have an owner with very deep pockets.

Good luck Habanero, and good luck learning French :-)

January 15th, 2013 at 8:57 am

Reply to Mug Punters Organisation of South Africa @ 5:43 am:

What crap… he single-handedly (sic) carried the Boks last season averaging an individual try a game during the 4N… only injury stopped him from arguably being the IRB player of the year after snatching all the RSA awards not too mention IRB try of the year…

January 15th, 2013 at 9:26 am

Reply to bryce_in_oz @ 8:57 am:

& one of the hardest working wingers in the game.

January 15th, 2013 at 5:36 pm

Reply to JT_BOKBEFOK! @ 9:26 am:

Exactly… he was one of the better Bok ‘loosies’ last season not to mention right up there with the best cover-tacklers in the game…

10. avatar Mug Punters Organisation of South Africa says:
    January 16th, 2013 at 5:08 am

Reply to bryce_in_oz @ 5:36 pm: Sorry for dissing your pet donkey but cover tackles that are made when missing the tackle in the first place by coming off your line dont count.

he single-handedly (sic) carried the Boks last season wahahahahahahaha sorry bwahahahahahahahahaha

only injury stopped him from arguably being the IRB player of the year sorry here we go again whahahahhahahahahhahahaha thanks I needed the laugh.

Well I cannot argue for his work ethic, which is about the same as all players, he really really needs a bit more than the startled baby bokkie jink.

I suppose he is like what you said about Lance Armstrong not guilty. :fishing:

January 16th, 2013 at 8:17 am

Reply to Mug Punters Organisation of South Africa @ 5:08 am:

I have a bit of time… and you clearly need a load of educating…

a> Habana only came off his line once in the test season when he was faced with a 3-on-1 attack and nobody assisting… as he SHOULD in that circumstance.

b> A cover-tackle particularly where Brian’s gifted reading of the game and pure pace… is when a player ie right-wing, sprints over to the left wing and saves numerous certain tries and his fellow defenders… and that extends to dropping back at pace to cover the full-back… there are less than a handful in the history of the modern game as good as he is.

c> Your winger is there to score tries… and that he did leading the 4N stats and that with zero ball from his centres.

d> If you think his work ethic is the same as other players… keep laughing… or head over to any of the stats sites to see how much ground he covers, tackles he makes, high-balls he takes, turnovers he makes and then compare that with any of the top wingers in world rugby, let alone all of the Bok team.

Need I continue?