Kings 22, Force 10

It is a funny thing to think that a teams first game could define their whole campaign, but this is more or less what the Kings face when they host the Force.

Teams:

Southern Kings: 15 SP Marais, 14 Sergeal Petersen, 13 Ronnie Cooke, 12 Andries Strauss, 11 Marcello Sampson, 10 Demetri Catrakilis, 9 Shaun Venter, 8 Luke Watson (captain), 7 Wimpie van der Walt, 6 Cornell du Preez, 5 Steven Sykes, 4 David Bulbring, 3 Kevin Buys, 2 Bandise Maku, 1 Schalk Ferreira.
Replacements: 16 Edgar Marutlulle, 17 Jaco Engels, 18 Daniel Adongo, 19 Jacques Engelbrecht, 20 Johan Herbst, 21 George Whitehead, 22 Hadleigh Parkes.

Western Force: 15 Will Tupou, 14 Nick Cummins, 13 Winston Stanley, 12 Kyle Godwin, 11 Alfie Mafi, 10 Sam Christie, 9 Alby Mathewson, 8 Ben McCalman, 7 Matt Hodgson (captain), 6 Angus Cottrell, 5 Hugh McMeniman, 4 Sam Wykes, 3 Tetera Faulkner, 2 Nathan Charles, 1 Pek Cowan.
Replacements: 16 Heath Tessmann, 17 Kieran Longbottom, 18 Toby Lynn, 19 Richard Brown, 20 Chris Alcock, 21 Mick Snowden, 22 Junior Rasolea.

Referee: Lourens van der Merwe (South Africa)
Assistant referees: Stuart Berry (South Africa), Christie du Preez (South Africa)
TMO: Johann Meuwessen (South Africa)

104 thoughts on “Kings 22, Force 10

Vetgesmeerde Blits

on

Ag nee wat, hierdie is soos n loslootjie vir die Kings. :soek:

Americano

on

No clue what you said Blits – but hope it was something negative about Force’s creepy coach Michael Foley.

• GOOOO FOOORCE!!!!!!!

Come rip me a new one, me dont care. I hate the Kings.

biltongbek

on

Good luck to the Kings, this is your best chance for a win.

• Go Force!

ReplyReply
  • Kings having a decent showing so far – at least we don’t have to watch the useless Lions :soek:

ReplyReply
  • Ps: i like the look of this Marais (Kings 15)

biltongbek

on

Reply to JT_BOKBEFOK! @ 7:48 pm: i will wait a little while before I declare the lions the only uselss SA team. :whistling:

biltongbek

on

Dit lyk of Puke eina het.

• Reply to biltongbek @ 7:50 pm:

Hehehe i hope the kings can hold their shape but i fear the floodgates could open in the 2nd half

Vetgesmeerde Blits

on

Reply to JT_BOKBEFOK! @ 7:49 pm: yes, Marais is a very good fullback, has been a standout the last few seasons.

• Kings still staying in it :respek:

ReplyReply
  • Must be a YC – and is! Upset on the cards???

This must bring davids to :tpuke:
    :twisted: :mrgreen:

Vetgesmeerde Blits

on

Schalk Feireira has been brutal in defence and solid in the scrums. Pleased for him to be playing top rugby again after that serious neck injury.

And the ork hands of and scores!

Boertjie

Pukes leading 16-10.

ReplyReply
  • Go Kings – guys like Marais, Katrakilis etc getting a run and prooving themselves :wave:

ReplyReply
  • Flip, how poor must the Force be to lose to this team?

ReplyReply
  • But Im guessing that I owe them a cingrats, good showing even if they go on and loose this. I still hate them though.

ReplyReply
  • Bulls are going to murder these ozzies next week :twisted:

• My My and that is how you shut people up….. :whistling:

ReplyReply
  • Must say this was the best game of the weekend from a SA team…congrats

• Reply to Jacques(Bunny)Die wat nie hier is nie is elders!! @ 8:51 pm:

Great effort by the Kings and a lekker SHUT THE F UP for the haters :support:

ReplyReply
  • Reply to JT_BOKBEFOK! @ 8:54 pm: Jip and a think a few teams will know that these guys will always come ith the passion.

• This will give the Kings a lot of confidence :applause:

Well done for fiing up my rat race :respek:

ReplyReply
  • Can someone pls give me the final score?

Vetgesmeerde Blits

on

The passionate PE crowd carried the Kings tonight. Pleased for them more than anything else. How many years has it been since the old EP played in proper competitions.
    32 000 fans turning up hungry for supperrugby proves that there is something in this Kings concept even if the implementation was done poorly.

This is only one win and it will be a very tough season for the Kings no doubt, but tonight the Kings and their passionate supporters won over a lot of friends.

• Kings 22
    Force 10?

Vetgesmeerde Blits

on

Reply to JT_BOKBEFOK! @ 9:02 pm: I backed the Kings on Ratrace!

• Whooooohooooo! Hahaha GO KINGS. Thx

ReplyReply
  • Lovely stuff by the Kings.

Well I wonder if some are enjoying their humble pie with a good dollop of STFU sauce on top.?
    :wave: :respek:

Loving it

• Reply to Vetgesmeerde Blits @ 9:14 pm:

Well done, probably the only one!

Vetgesmeerde Blits

on

Well done to the ork Sergael Petersen with his 2 tries and man of the match award.

• Reply to Vetgesmeerde Blits @ 9:14 pm:

Lucky bugger, I followed my head on that one.. Bet you didn’t get that margin though.

biltongbek

on

Wel slaan my met n’ nat vis.

Ek het voor die game gese dit is die Kings se beste kans vir n’ wen en na halftyd gedink die Force het te veel in die tenk, maar kudos vir Puke en sy manne, moet nog leer om as n’ span te speel maar die Force moet darem baie poef voel om teen die rookies te verloor het.

Shame.

• Reply to JT_BOKBEFOK! @ 9:02 pm:

I well and truly put a big spanner in the works of my superbru this weekend

• Reply to biltongbek @ 9:18 pm:

Shame see moer man.. :twisted:

• Reply to Ollie @ 9:19 pm:

I dropped 41 places this weekend :bangheadt:

Boertjie

As Naas said afterwards:
    The OZmob just don’t have enough
    players for 5 franchises.

To that I will add: Neither have
    we, and unlike OZ it has nothing
    to do with numbers.

Anyway, Pukes must enjoy their victory –
    they may never again have that feeling.

• No comment. :Morne: :cuckoo:

biltongbek

on

Reply to Ollie @ 9:20 pm: 8)
    :cheers:

ReplyReply
  • Surely the Bulls will beat the Force… Right?
    :whistling:

• laugh & :Ollie:
    :cheers:

KingPaul

on

Om te dink die arme lions kon in 5 jaar nie een keer die Force wen nie, en die Queens doen dit sommer met hulle eerste probeer slag! :pot:

• Reply to KingPaul @ 9:39 pm:

Paul, gaan staan in die hoek, want jy gaan nou net ‘n klomp manne af-pis.

• Reply to KingPaul @ 9:39 pm:

Muahahaha :wave:

• Reply to KingPaul @ 9:39 pm:
    Shame :whistling:

• Reply to Morné @ 9:41 pm:

I wonder what legal trick he will use as a come back/diversion/side step on this topic :twisted:

• Reply to Ollie @ 9:51 pm:

Sometimes, you just know it’s best to keep quiet. In this instance, not banking on it.

ReplyReply
  • Congrats to the Kings. You won a game.

Honestly I did not expect you to win a game. It does NOT change the way I feel about the Kings. It does not make me believe you deserve a S15 spot. One swallow does not make a summer. Enjoy the win.

Now seriously to those Kings fans, dont get carried away. I read in the comments that this was the best performance of any Saffa team this weekend. All Im gonna do is laugh, cos that is a puke worthy comment. I will still be supporting whoever plays against the Kings, no matter how many times they win, it does not change how they got their spot. Might be narrow minded of me, and that is ok, in this instance I am not going to be open minded.

Americano

on

Aldo – getting carried away is more than half of the fun. I encourage Kings fans to let it rip, even dance a jig.
    I’ve gotten away from the more fanciful hopes of some of the sports teams I watch – and I’m lesser for it.
    Hopefully I’ll break out of the funk soon.

Till then its back to my reality-based observations regarding Messerschmitt-Willie LeRoux & his Cheetah team.
    :wave:

• Reply to Aldo @ 5:45 am:

My opinion: we have gone through this multiple times and I doubt that there is anyone who thinks the way the Kings got into S15 rugby was the correct way -however that has nothing to do with the players busting a gut out there last night. I am so happy for them because they did not deserve the shit they get.
    The Lions also did not make a proper claim to deserve their S15 spot over the last few years either, they have been an embarrisment to SA rugby for too long to be ignored. Maybe this will give the Lions a kick up the butt to come back at Super rugby level with a bang and in the meantime the Kings will get a taste of Superrugby and will want more… Competition will strengthen both regions and that is good for sa rugby.
    :respek: to the players, even if that was your one win for the season!

• Reply to Aldo @ 5:45 am:

FFS ou suurgat, with a granite block on you shoulder!

Have you read one comment on RW from a Kings supporter who is happy about the way they got into the S15, or is happy that it was at the expense of the Lions?

For me it is simple, 2 S15 franchises within 60km of each other when there is a region full of rugby players that doesn’t have a franchise within 600km is stupid.

Grow up and take the blinkers off mate, a lot has changed in the last 20 years.

In the meantime I encourage the Kings supporters to revel in little bit of sunshine, with all the shit and vitriol we have had to listen from the anti brigade they need it. It probably won’t last for long, so make hay while the sun shines.

:finger:
    laugh & :Ollie: boys

ReplyReply
  • And how great was it to see a decent crowd enjoying a win (compared to the handfull of fans every Saturday at Ellispark, dreaming up excuses for yet another loss)?

• Great game Kings.

When last did we see a 8th man like that Engelbrecht. Damnit his contribution alone was worth watching.

I think th eForce under estimated the Kings. The rest of the Aus teams will not do this from now on. I read an article on the Reds season preview and they were very upset that they wont get the easy points against the Kings as they are not playing them.

Well done guys. You are busting yourselves on the field nevermind the politics off the field.

Great try by Peterson. Step, power, ooooooooooooover!!!

:applause: :applause: :applause: :applause:

• Reply to KingPaul @ 9:39 pm:

Groot :soek: daai met die :Oos Rander:

:twisted:

ReplyReply
  • Die Lions het ook met hulle eerste probeerslag die Force gewen Koning Pielietjie… wonder wie noem hulleself Koning… iemand met TEKORTkominge? Gesien aan jou Twitter rekening avi duidelik nie aan aptyt nie… moet iets anders wees…

O en dit was in Perth nogal.

Die Lions het laas jaar ook die finaliste Sharks gewen… so eintlik moes hu8lle teen die Chiefs gespeel het in die finaal… ek bedoel ons kyk mos een game reg?

Dis natuurlik die “usual gang of idiots” met groot bekke…

Shame..

Natuurlik weens julle spannetjie op Loftus verkrag is… soos gewoonlik…

Ek aanvaar julle het ook Cheetahs geskree gister…

Maar nou ja… as een swaeltjie ‘n somer maak… goed vir julle.

Ek sal maar Ollie se ou triekie op julle doen

:Ollie:

• Reply to DavidS @ 10:04 am:

Hehehe

Typical, not reading what we said again. Summer and swallow. Bwahahaha. What a lame come back considering the Kings supporters are the first to say something similar.

And then followed up with the usual wait until we see you behind the bicycle shed, errrrr, I mean Loftus. The usual bully tactic. :dead horse:

Btw, you forgot the laugh part of the laugh & :Ollie:
    Just saying…

Vetgesmeerde Blits

Reply to DavidS @ 10:04 am:

‘Natuurlik weens julle spannetjie op Loftus verkrag is… soos gewoonlik…’

Het jy nie die afgelope paar maande enige iets hier gelees nie? Dieselfde mense wat die Kings nou ondersteun en verdedig doen dit al vir maande. Net soos baie van ons die Lions deur hulle maer jare ondersteun het en saam met julle bly was met die 2O12 Curriebeker trofee. ‘n Powere poging selfs volgens die standaarde wat jy die afgelope paar maande hier gestel het.

‘wonder wie noem hulleself Koning… iemand met TEKORTkominge? Gesien aan jou Twitter rekening avi duidelik nie aan aptyt nie… moet iets anders wees…’

Kyk, as ek die Weighless voorbladnooi was sou ek liewers stilgebly het oor ander se gewig.

ReplyReply
  • I am actually just enjoying sitting back and reading all this.

• Reply to Morné @ 12:09 pm:

I’m enjoying taking part. I know the granite block boys will be throwing all they have at us from the first loss of the Kings, so l’ll enjoy this while I can. :twisted:

Weighless comment is priceless :lol:

ReplyReply
  • I’m just wondering how this situation is going to be matched to something the Nazi’s did :pot:

• Reply to DavidS @ 10:04 am:

The Lions beat the Force on their 1st try?? How the f do you get that?? The lions have been playing superrugby long before the force existed!!

Pull another one :soek:

ReplyReply
  • What happens if the Kings end 2nd last on the Sa conference and lets say the Stormers end last… Do the Lions play the Stormers in the relegation play-off?

:whistling:

• Reply to JT_BOKBEFOK! @ 1:10 pm:

I read yesterday JC Janse van Rensburg is on his way to France – things are going to be tough for the Lions.

Reply to Ollie @ 12:50 pm:

Good on you (and all sober minded folks) – I am just really proud of the Kings players. Every team, even the Force, looked at them as a gift 5-pointer team – they showed true South African guts and resolve.

They did not play the best rugby by any means, but they believed in themselves and each other which is something you can always judge a team on given how they defend.

This campaign is going to be very tough for them, this for me was their best chance of a win and I am glad they got at least this one.

They might upset one or two more teams like the Rebels and Forced showed in the past when they just started – 3 wins in their first season will be close to a miracle for them, they now got one.

• Reply to Morné @ 1:20 pm:

Most of the GBB’s (Granite Block Brigade) didn’t they they would win a single game. So even 1 win sits sideways in their throats.

ReplyReply
  • Having 2 S15 Franschises within 60km’s is so unfair, having so many olatinum mines in Rustenburg and the North West is just rediculous, think we should get government to move some of the platinum to the Eastern Cape. What is even worse is all the Gold in JHB. That is just ridiculous, cant we move some of it to Cape Town?

Saying that we support the players because they are just the players, is just plain stupid. It is the same as saying, hell that guy stole because of the fact that he has no education, so let’s not send him to jail. Let him go on. If we want SARU to start taking responsibility for their actions, it is time we start holding them responsible. By supporting the team they forced down on us, we are saying it is okay for them to rape us the way they are.

No way boet, I cannot care less about the players, they are victims of SARU’S inabilities to think before making promises. Good Luck to them, but do not expect me to cheer at a win, or cry at a loss.

• GBB :support: :twisted:

• Reply to Ollie @ 2:13 pm:

Yup, no doubt. And given some of the comments many made in the past it is in some way enjoyable reading some of the above – they deserve what is now coming to them.

But, as far as I am concerned, only rugby arguments for or against the Kings is whatever counted. The Kings answered their critics where they should – through rugby, and between the 4 lines. That for me far exceeds anything else.

Vetgesmeerde Blits

on

Reply to Morné @ 2:17 pm: I agree, the Kings didn’t answered their critics with the way they played and the guts they showed. They are not a bunch of ‘huursoldate’ looking for an easy paycheck.

They will probably loose 90 of their games this year, but that is to expected from a team that started from scratch 5 months ago. The Force and the Rebels went through the same thing.

I think a lot of people try and turn it into a Lions vs Kings argument. You have to choose one or the other and try and discredit. the other one. I doesn’t have to and shouldn’t be that way.

The Lions and the Kings both deserve the support of the SA rugby public.

Vetgesmeerde Blits

Did answer

• Reply to Vetgesmeerde Blits @ 2:46 pm:

As someone told me, the Kings inclusion was/is shameful.

My response – the only shameful thing is how SA fans treat their own.

You might have heard me say this before, because I say it quite often – SA fans deserve what they are getting (and this is with reference to mainly our circus administration).

• Reply to Aldo @ 2:13 pm:

Eish, your analogy is just so misplaced and not realistic it doesn’t really warrant an answer but I’ll amuse myself regardless.

Question 1 Aldo: how much platinum and gold is there in the EC?
    Question 2 Aldo: if there was any in the EC you think there wouldn’t be a mine already?
    Question 3 Aldo: How many rugby players are there in the EC?

The Kings ARE the Jhb gold mine of your analogy, old chap. Freshly discovered a couple of years ago.

I really expected better input from you than that.

KingPaul

on

Reply to DavidS @ 10:04 am: hahahaha maar julle lions is fyngevoelig en tipies om sommer persoonlik te raak sodra julle niks positiefs het om by te dra nie!
    Pateet!

Boertjie

What year was it when the Bulls lost ALL
    their games in the SS?

However, history will still show that
    SARU has thrown the Pukes into a lions
    den.
    Gonna be a v-e-e-e-r-y long season for them.

• Reply to Boertjie @ 5:16 pm:

Not as long as it would have been if they lost everything, which is now not possible laugh

ReplyReply
  • Lol wait let me come clean, i’ve been laughing myself to death for the last couple of hours. I have no real hatred towards the Kings. Lol I feel anout them the same way I feel about any other saffa team than the Bulls.

Sorry I just saw a golden oppertunity to piss people off and took it. Shees thought you guys know me better by now, must be cos I dont post her as much the last few years. I can remember after about 5 months of not posting a lot anymore, I was still second after rasputin with most comments. Hehe, promise I’ll behave in future.

• Nice onesmile

• Ollie,Europeans need SA like
    a third tit.
    They can exploit it like any
    backwater african 3rd world country

• HELLLOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!

I am happy with the way the Kings were promoted into SupeRugby. I’ve been saying so since February last year.

Congrat’s to SARU.
    It was the right thing to do and it was the only way to do it.

AND

It safe-guards the Bulls from having to merge with the Jo’burg clowns. :mrgreen:

To Mr Solomons, Watson et al: You’ve got your win gentlemen, now save your energies for that all important P/R game in July. :applause:

• Reply to Boertjie @ 5:16 pm:

2002 bulls played 11 lost 11
    1999 bulls played 11 lost 10
    2000 bulls played 11 lost 10
    2002 sharkishits played 11 lost 10
    2005 sharkishits played 11 lost 10
    2002 lions played 11 lost 10
    2004 lions played 11 lost 10
    2006 lions played 11 lost 10
    2010 lions played 13 lost 13

• Reply to Morné @ 5:53 pm:

Sorry that was posted from another site.

• Reply to Duiwel @ 5:52 pm:
    Europe has their hands full of their own problems now, so that couldn’t give a rats about SA

• Reply to Ollie @ 7:32 pm:

Horses for courses? Main course, desert etc…

• Reply to JT_BOKBEFOK! @ 7:44 pm:

Bwahahaha

Actually it is main course some nights in this house

Boertjie

Reply to Timeo @ 5:53 pm:

Just in case your are serious:
    Watch this site. I will give you
    the solution once I’ve typed it.

• Reply to Boertjie @ 8:48 pm:

Goody.
    I am serious. Can’t wait to see :Boertjie normaal: . We’ll have a vigorous debate about it.

• Ollie,
    Lived here 13 years
    If this is problems
    Please give me more!

bryce_in_oz

on

Great win… the young Peterson showed great turn of pace… and that Engelbrecht was awesome…

The Year of the Cheetah

on

I support any team who has a go. Well done Kings. Keep playing and you will have fans.

ReplyReply

WELL DONE BOYS. KEEP YOUR FEET ON THE GROUND. THERE IS STILL MORE TO COME. SOME TOUGHER…..OTHERS NOT SO TOUGH.

• Reply to Ollie @ 7:32 pm:

It’s just the strain that the EU is going through at the moment, the anti-EU brigade are pushing quite hard at the moment (Cameron and the gang). Then there is some majot cost cutting on the go internally, so the focus is mostly internal at the moment.

Nothing to really worry about in the long run for now.

ReplyReply
  • This Kings naysayers remind of a Bjork song at the moment – It’s oh so quiet :twisted:

• Reply to Ollie @ 4:18 pm:

Ag shame hey, and what makes it worse is that they will have to wait at least another week before they can hate on the Kings ;-)
    Imagine the Farce beating the Bulls this weekend – how quiet will it get then? :pot:

• Reply to JT_BOKBEFOK! @ 5:07 pm:

Hehehehehehe

JT, quick question, what is the site that has links to downloads of the weekends rugby matches? I thought I had friended them on Facebook, but the link is gone.

ReplyReply
  • Fun fact: planet rugby has 2 Kings players in it Super team of the week, both local to the region 8)

ReplyReply
  • Reply to Vetgesmeerde Blits @ 10:47 am: Ek het darem Weighless gedoen… en deesdae lyk ek effe maerder so mja ek mag maar praat VETgesmeer…

Reply to KingPaul @ 3:19 pm:

As ek jy is sal ek maar eerder my bek hou… laas jaar het jy maar ewe lekker te kere gegaan…

And Ollie

I’ll have to gloat when the reality comes and your socio political experiment in transformation hits its reality check…

ReplyReply
  • Enjoy your little gloat because I am going to enjoy my big one…

• Reply to DavidS @ 6:59 pm:

Oh, I am and will. Never fear.

I just know the vitriol that will come spilling forth at the first loss of the Kings, so I aim on reminding you of every single success they have in the meantime.

Don’t think of it as gloating, but more a case of getting my good news pendulum as high as possible before the GBB start throwing around their crap

laugh

• Reply to DavidS @ 6:58 pm:

BTW, some reality for you 43 -07

Only difference between my reality and yours is that I didn’t want an opposition team to lose and I don’t feel any particular happiness that the Lions did.

But on the bright side, think of the muscles you’ll have from carry those granite blocks around on your shoulders.

• Reply to Ollie @ 5:51 pm:

Best option is now http://youtu.be/KRn7o3LNk6c
    Lelostream on youtube

• Reply to JT_BOKBEFOK! @ 9:46 pm:

Thanks mate

KingPaul

on

Reply to DavidS @ 6:58 pm: Ai ou David, jy is nes al my ander Leeu vriende! Moerse fyngevoelig. En julle almal het geval vir die selfde ou joke.
    Ek voel ‘n f@k vir die Kings, en sal jou kis bier wed hulle gaan nie een game verder wen die jaar nie.
    Nes die Lions ook nie een S15 game gaan wen die jaar nie… :twisted:

• Tell you what

I’ll only comment if they win…

• Reply to KingPaul @ 10:45 pm:

Vir ‘n doos wie se klakelose aanmerking die hele laaste seisoen was “Leeus gaan had kak” het jy ewe skielik ‘n groot bek vol woordjies…