Local is Lekker in Stormers country

March 12, 2013

The clash between the DHL Stormers and the Chiefs at DHL Newlands on Saturday 9th March saw the DHL Dancers run onto the rugby pitch in their new ensembles, as the winner of the DHL Design a Dancer contest was revealed.

Aimed at promoting local, up-and-coming talent in the fashion design field, the contest saw DHL team up with Western Province Rugby and FEDISA, South Africa’s Leading Institute for a BA Degree in Fashion Design to find a new outfit for the rugby team’s dedicated dance team. The winning design was also manufactured in the Western Cape, by a small CMT, to ensure it was proudly Capetonian.

The winning designer, Jode Venter, received a R10 000 cash prize, in addition to having her design showcased not only on the rugby pitch, but in all the associated media around the city’s favourite rugby team, the DHL Stormers.  Jode’s original design was adapted with input from both DHL, Western Province Rugby and the dancers themselves, to create the final ensemble.

The outfit also borrows from the designs of runners-up Alana Dynowski and Alison Schwabe. Dynowski’s design ‘The Super Stormer Woman’ was themed around superheroes and the judging panel loved her cape. Similarly, Schwabe’s submission had a detachable hood, which has also been integrated into the final design.

“We were overwhelmed by the number and quality of the entries,” comments Sumesh Rahavendra, Head of Marketing for DHL Express Sub-Saharan Africa. “It was incredibly difficult to choose a winner but Jode’s definitely stood out for us. Her use of the DHL stripes, her presentation and the design theme that was used across all her elements – from the shoes, the socks, skirt and finishing – immediately caught our attention.”

Jode, a third year student at FEDISA hails from the Strand. She will complete her studies at the end of this year. “I got my ideas and inspiration from swimwear. I am very happy to have won and I am still in shock. I will be using the prize money for a new computer to use for my designs and further my career,” she concludes.

For more information on the contest and to see the seven finalist designs, please visit www.iamastormer.com

Visit FEDISA’s website at www.fedisa.co.za

Stormers Babes

Tags: ,

1. avatar The Year of the Cheetah says:
    March 12th, 2013 at 10:36 am

what was the brief?

“take the perfect female figure and make it look as kak as possible?”

March 12th, 2013 at 10:49 am

Reply to The Year of the Cheetah @ 10:36 am:

Oh yes, the chicks on Harley’s are sooo much better…

3. avatar The Year of the Cheetah says:
    March 12th, 2013 at 11:23 am

Reply to Morné @ 10:49 am:

I mean the colors. Puke glossy 1980′s yellow?

March 12th, 2013 at 11:27 am

Stormers girls’ dress and appearance sucks.

Compared to the Guppies they don’t even
    warrant a mention, neither a look.

March 12th, 2013 at 12:30 pm

I thought CT was the fashinistas capital of RSA and I don’t mean just the sista’s?

March 12th, 2013 at 12:30 pm

Reply to Morné @ 10:49 am:

Those are chicks?????

7. avatar Blokkies says:
    March 12th, 2013 at 6:42 pm

Baaaarf – my 8 year old could design a better looking outfit than that….. not joking.

You need to be in 3rd year of a Fashion Design degree to come up with that crud?

On a side note: WP rugby should either renegotiate their agreement with DHL or find a sponsor that has the same colours as Stormers / WP.

How doff is it when a teams colours are blue and white and the cheerleaders wear red and Ozzie kots yellow? WTF!!!??

March 12th, 2013 at 6:54 pm

Reply to Blokkies @ 6:42 pm:

Like the Blue Bulls with Vodacom Red or the black and white Sharks with Mr. Price red?

It pays the bills lads. Simple as that.

And you missed the most important part of this all. It was a local Cape Town designer that did this, with a local manufacturing company making the outfits.

9. avatar Blokkies says:
    March 12th, 2013 at 7:18 pm

Hi Morné

Sorry, of course, the whole local design, manufacture etc is great, yes, and a super initiative. My bad concerning that.

However, the Bulls and Sharks never, and I mean NEVER let the colour of their sponsors logo overshadow their own brand.

Both Bulls and Sharks sponsors blend subtly with their own brand on their jerseys, and their cheerleaders wear the home teams colours, not that of the sponsors.

It is a dilution of both Stormers and DHL’s brands when you have Blue and White clashing so horribly with yellow and red. I mean in what parallel universe do cheerleader wear a different colour to the team they are supporting? Someone dropped the ball there.

I just think it has been done in very bad taste, and does nothing to merge the 2 brands.

March 12th, 2013 at 7:23 pm

Reply to Blokkies @ 7:18 pm:

Newlands is yellow as shit buddy. So I hear you, but I think we don’t realise how much money they are pumping into Stormers/WP rugby (recently extended their sponsorship too).

It is the nature of pro-sport, it pays the bills.

11. avatar Blokkies says:
    March 12th, 2013 at 7:28 pm

I know Newlands is yellow as shit, that exactly what I am moaning about!!!

I understand the whole sponsorship thing – but WP Rugby shouldn’t be such prostitutes re letting them steamroll them with regards to the colour of Newlands….

I get why it is like that, but doesn’t mean I have to like it ;-)

March 12th, 2013 at 10:10 pm

Reply to Blokkies @ 7:18 pm:

—–
    :yeahright:
    :agree:
    :brownie:

March 13th, 2013 at 2:42 am

I hope the computer she buys with her prize money was also locally manufactured, right there in Cape Town. Also the sewing machines that made it, the cotton was grown locally, the petrochemicals used to manufacture, the synthetics, pumped out locally, using a locally developed process, the trucks, the cars, the desks, the pens and the paperweights! All local shit.

Hopefully when they dispose of all that shit, hopefully very soon, they also make sure that it stays local.

March 13th, 2013 at 2:22 pm

Reply to Timeo @ 2:42 am:

Like half of America is manufactured in China these days….

And why due to internal manufacturing laws the EU can protect themselves against the crap China “manufactures” and ships worldwide.

Supporting local economy creates local jobs for local people and one does this in places where you can.

You may import oil but the refining happens locally because you cannot source oil locally, but gold you cannot refine locally so you export it to be made elsewhere.

What one wants to avoid is the way our local clothing retailers intentionally used cheap Chinese rubbish to kill the local textiles industry swapping quality for a lower bottom line at the cost of people locally being able to work and afford any textiles.

Sorry but I do not agree with your line of argumentation.