Varsity Cup – Semi’s

March 25, 2013

It is an old saying but so true; ”It does not matter how you got here, but what you make of this opportunity.” It is Varsity Cup semi-final time!

by Jacques

The Unbeaten FNB Maties will welcome the surprise package of the year, NMMU to Stellenbosch in the first semi-final and Tuks will take on UJ in Pretoria and if the pool matches this year between these sides is anything to go by, we will be in for two memorable matches.

Madibaz coach Brent Janse van Rensburg has called on his team to give absolutely everything in their quest to upset Maties in front of their home crowd and progress to their first final. In a semi-final anything can happen but I am sure that Maties will be too strong for the NMMU side tonight.

Tuks will have their work cut out against UJ who lost narrowly when they met in their pool match earlier this year. Home turf should give Tuks an advantage but one cannot ignore what has gone on behind the scenes in the last two weeks and wonder if this will influence Tuks’ performance.  I will give this one to Tuks to see a Maties versus Tuks Final in Stellenbosch, but would it not be nice to see a UJ versus NMMU final?

The FNB Varsity Young Guns and Steinhoff Koshuisrugby Championships also enter the semifinal stage, making Monday a feast of knock-out student rugby.

Both Young Guns semifinals will be curtain-raiser to the Varsity Cup semifinals, with defending champions UP-Tuks taking on UCT at the Tuks Rugby Stadium in Pretoria and Steinhoff Maties squaring off with UFS-Shimlas at the Danie Craven Stadium in Stellenbosch.

In the Koshuisrugby semifinals defending champions Steinhoff Vishuis will face Maties side Steinhoff Medies in Bloemfontein and both teams will be looking to bounce back from narrow losses last week.

Steinhoff Villagers from NWU-Pukke are the only unbeaten team in the competition, and they will be keen to continue that streak when they welcome UJ outfit Steinhoff Bastion to Potchefstroom.

The Varsity Shield enters the final round, and while the unbeaten FNB CUT Ixias have already ensured that they will host the final in Bloemfontein next week, their opposition will be decided in the clash between FNB UWC and Fort Hare in Bellville.

Peter de Villiers’ UWC side currently lead the Fort Hare Blues by two log points heading into their do-or-die encounter, with both teams eyeing their first-ever final.

UWC can qualify for the final with two bonus points, while for Fort Hare it will be about going all-out for a victory by more than seven points which would see them leapfrog both FNB UKZN and UWC.

The Ixias will be keen to make it eight wins out of eight games and take some valuable momentum into the final when they take on FNB TUT who is set to claim the wooden spoon in their first season of Varsity Shield no matter the result.

FNB Varsity Cup semifinal fixtures and team line-ups – Monday, March 25:

FNB UP-Tuks v FNB UJ, Tuks Rugby Stadium – 4.30pm (Live on Supersport One)

UP-Tuks: 15 Clayton Blommetjies, 14 Vainon Willis, 13 Piet Lindeque, 12 Handre Pollard, 11 Courtnall Skosan, 10 Willie du Plessis, 9 Danie Faasen, 8 Jono Ross (captain), 7 Jacques Verwey, 6 Shaun Adendorff, 5 Marvin Orie, 4 Mike Williams, 3 Basil Short, 2 Mbongeni Mbonambi, 1 Juan Schoeman.
Replacements: 16 Jaco Visagie, 17 Sabelo Nhlapo, 18 Schalk Van Heerden, 19 JP Mostert, 20 Emile Temperman, 21 Christopher Bosch, 22 Riaan Britz, 23 Christoff Gouws.

UJ: 15 Kobus De Kock, 14 JR Esterhuizen, 13 Bradley Moolman, 12 Luan Steenkamp, 11 Chrysander Botha, 10 Divan van Zyl (captainj), 9 Jacques Pretorius, 8 RJ Liebenberg, 7 Johan van der Hoogt, 6 Thilip Marole, 5 David Antonites, 4 Shane Kirkwood, 3 Ewald Van Der Westhuizen, 2 Malcolm Marx, 1 Wessel Du Randt .
Replacements: 16 AJ le Roux, 17 Wiseman Kamanga, 18 Fabian Booysen, 19 Kobus Porter, 20 Vian van der Watt, 21 Guy Cronje, 22 Andries Oosthuizen, 23 Njabulo Mkize.

Referee: Tiaan Jonker
Assistant referees: Jaco Kotze, Lihan Pretorius
TMO: Johan Greeff

FNB Maties v FNB NMMU, Danie Craven Stadium – 7pm  (Live on Supersport One)

Maties: 15 Craig Barry, 14 Clearance Khumalo, 13 Mark Hodgkiss, 12 Ryan Nell, 11 Dean Hammond, 10 JH Potgieter, 9 James Alexander, 8 Reniel Hugo, 7 Lungelo Chonco, 6 Helmut Lehmann (captain), 5 Wilhelm van der Sluys, 4 Jan de Klerk, 3 Os Hamman, 2 Charl de Villiers, 1 Alister Vermaak.
Replacements: 16 Frederik Kirsten, 17 Hein van der Merwe, 18 Jurie van Vuuren, 19 Beyers de Villiers, 20 Jean Nel, 21 Dean Grant, 22 JP Lewis, 23 Brendan Pitzer.

NMMU: 15 Jarred Buys, 14 Mayibuye Ndwandwe, 13 Devon Lailvaux, 12 Xolani Mnisi, 11 Gerhardus Smith, 10 Justin Van Staden, 9 Dwayne Kelly, 8 Timothy Agaba, 7 Stefan Willemse, 6 Albertus de Swardt, 5 Mzwanale Zito, 4 Schalk Oelofse, 3 Gareth Hartley, 2 Martin Ferreira, 1 Roy Godfrey (captain).
Replacements: 16 Francois Coetzer, 17 Dexter Fahey, 18 Louis Fourie, 19 Ulrich Pretorius, 20 Simphiwe Shabangu, 21 Lesley-Dean Luiters, 22 Logan Basson, 23 Lizo Gqoboka.

Referee: Ben Crouse
Assistant referees: Lusanda Jam, Daniel Fortuin
TMO: Shaun Veldsman

FNB Varsity Shield fixtures – Monday, March 25:

FNB CUT v FNB TUT, CUT Rugby Stadium – 7pm
FNB UWC v UFH, UWC Sport Stadium – 7pm

Steinhoff Koshuisrugby Championship  fixtures – Monday, March 25:

Steinhoff Vishuis (UFS-Shimlas) v Steinhoff Medies(Maties), Xerox Shimla Park – 5pm
Steinhoff Villagers (NWU-Pukke) v Steinhoff  Bastion (UJ), Fanie Du Toit Sports Grounds – 7pm

Varsity Young Guns fixtures – Monday, March 25:

FNB UP Tuks v FNB UCT, Tuks Rugby Stadium -  2pm
Steinhoff Maties v FNB UFS-Shimlas , Danie Craven Stadium – 4.30pm

You can follow the scores on www.ruggaworld.com and twitter #ruggaworld

**additional information from www.varsitycup.co.za and Sports Media365.

Tags:

1. avatar Jacques(Bunny)Die wat nie hier is nie is elders!! says:
    March 25th, 2013 at 5:37 pm

I have suspected Tuks to win but what a surprise to see a 53-16 Score after 52 min

2. avatar Jacques(Bunny)Die wat nie hier is nie is elders!! says:
    March 25th, 2013 at 5:37 pm

Steinhoff Vishuis score right after the strategy break and level the scores up at 13-13 against Steinhoff Medies

3. avatar Jacques(Bunny)Die wat nie hier is nie is elders!! says:
    March 25th, 2013 at 5:38 pm

Steinhoff Maties Young Guns wing Lihleli Tini goes over for the try which gives his side a 13-10 lead against UFS-Shimlas Young Guns.

4. avatar Jacques(Bunny)Die wat nie hier is nie is elders!! says:
    March 25th, 2013 at 5:39 pm

Tuks looking like a Senior team playing a school side

5. avatar Jacques(Bunny)Die wat nie hier is nie is elders!! says:

Tuks lead 61-24 60 min gone

9. avatar Jacques(Bunny)Die wat nie hier is nie is elders!! says:
    March 25th, 2013 at 5:46 pm

Try converted by Kobus De Kock for UJ

10. avatar Jacques(Bunny)Die wat nie hier is nie is elders!! says:
    March 25th, 2013 at 5:50 pm

Steinhoff Maties Young Guns are leading UFS-Shimlas 18-15 with 10 minutes left in their tense semifinal.

11. avatar Jacques(Bunny)Die wat nie hier is nie is elders!! says:
    March 25th, 2013 at 5:54 pm

UP (TUKS) 61 vs UJ 24 after 65 min.

12. avatar Jacques(Bunny)Die wat nie hier is nie is elders!! says:
    March 25th, 2013 at 5:54 pm

Steinhoff Maties Young Guns flank Pieter de Wet gets his second try to give them a 26-15 lead over UFS-Shimlas

13. avatar Jacques(Bunny)Somtimes I sits and thinks and sometimes I just sits says:
    March 25th, 2013 at 5:59 pm

Steinhoff Medies score the first points of the second-half through a try by Duncan Havenga. Steinhoff Vishuis lead 26-21.

14. avatar Jacques(Bunny)Somtimes I sits and thinks and sometimes I just sits says:
    March 25th, 2013 at 5:59 pm

61-24 Tukkies, 70min

15. avatar Jacques(Bunny)Somtimes I sits and thinks and sometimes I just sits says:
    March 25th, 2013 at 5:59 pm

Shitty camera work

16. avatar Jacques(Bunny)Somtimes I sits and thinks and sometimes I just sits says:
    March 25th, 2013 at 6:02 pm

cheaters in final against either Maties or NMMU

17. avatar Jacques(Bunny)Somtimes I sits and thinks and sometimes I just sits says:
    March 25th, 2013 at 6:02 pm

A Steinhoff Vishuis try opens up some breathing space as they lead 31-21 against Steinhoff Medies after 55 minutes.

18. avatar Jacques(Bunny)Somtimes I sits and thinks and sometimes I just sits says:
    March 25th, 2013 at 6:06 pm

UP (TUKS) 61 vs UJ 24 after 75 min.

19. avatar Jacques(Bunny)Somtimes I sits and thinks and sometimes I just sits says:
    March 25th, 2013 at 6:09 pm

Final score cheaters 61 UJ 24

20. avatar Jacques(Bunny)Somtimes I sits and thinks and sometimes I just sits says:
    March 25th, 2013 at 6:10 pm

Steinhoff Maties Young Guns will play UP-Tuks in the Young Guns final after beating UFS-Shimlas 26-15 in Stellenbosch.

21. avatar Jacques(Bunny)Somtimes I sits and thinks and sometimes I just sits says:
    March 25th, 2013 at 6:14 pm

HOËRSKOOL JAN VILJOEN 66 vs HOËRSKOOL BARBERTON 0 Full-time

22. avatar Jacques(Bunny)Somtimes I sits and thinks and sometimes I just sits says:
    March 25th, 2013 at 6:14 pm

HOËRSKOOL FICHARDTPARK 47 vs HOËRSKOOL VOORTREKKER (PIETERMARITZBURG) 12 Full-time

23. avatar Jacques(Bunny)Somtimes I sits and thinks and sometimes I just sits says:
    March 25th, 2013 at 6:26 pm

LINKSIDE HIGH SCHOOL 14 vs ZWIDE XV 12 Full-time

24. avatar Jacques(Bunny)Somtimes I sits and thinks and sometimes I just sits says:
    March 25th, 2013 at 6:29 pm

Steinhoff Vishuis beat Steinhoff Medies 31-26 to book their place in the Steinhoff Koshuisrugby Final!

25. avatar Jacques(Bunny)Somtimes I sits and thinks and sometimes I just sits says:
    March 25th, 2013 at 7:00 pm

Full maties stadium again

26. avatar Jacques(Bunny)Somtimes I sits and thinks and sometimes I just sits says:
    March 25th, 2013 at 7:01 pm

Wind is going in Stellenbosch

27. avatar Jacques(Bunny)Somtimes I sits and thinks and sometimes I just sits says:
    March 25th, 2013 at 7:13 pm

No score in Stellenbosch after 12 min

28. avatar Jacques(Bunny)Somtimes I sits and thinks and sometimes I just sits says:
    March 25th, 2013 at 7:14 pm

FNB Fort Hare score through wing Lithabile Mgwadleka and the conversion is good from Oliver Zono. They lead FNB UWC 8-0

29. avatar Jacques(Bunny)Somtimes I sits and thinks and sometimes I just sits says:
    March 25th, 2013 at 7:15 pm

FNB UWC hit straight back through fullback Warrick Rhoda. Muller converts and we tied up at 8-8

30. avatar Jacques(Bunny)Somtimes I sits and thinks and sometimes I just sits says:
    March 25th, 2013 at 7:17 pm

FNB CUT take an early lead against FNB TUT as centre Johan Van Shalkwyk scores and Van Tonder converts 8-0.

31. avatar Jacques(Bunny)Somtimes I sits and thinks and sometimes I just sits says:
    March 25th, 2013 at 7:20 pm

Maties defending well

32. avatar Jacques(Bunny)Somtimes I sits and thinks and sometimes I just sits says:
    March 25th, 2013 at 7:21 pm

Steinhogg villagers centre Adriaan Oosthuizen is over for their second try and they lead Steinhoff Bastion 16-0 in Potchefstroom.

33. avatar Jacques(Bunny)Somtimes I sits and thinks and sometimes I just sits says:
    March 25th, 2013 at 7:22 pm

A yellow-card each for FNB UWC and FNB Fort Hare 10 minutes into the game.

34. avatar Jacques(Bunny)Somtimes I sits and thinks and sometimes I just sits says:
    March 25th, 2013 at 7:28 pm

Madibas must put atleast a 20 point lead here

35. avatar Jacques(Bunny)Somtimes I sits and thinks and sometimes I just sits says:
    March 25th, 2013 at 7:28 pm

Maties will take advantage of this wind in the second half

36. avatar Jacques(Bunny)Somtimes I sits and thinks and sometimes I just sits says:
    March 25th, 2013 at 7:32 pm

Maties win the little battles

March 25th, 2013 at 7:32 pm

Maties had a few unconvincing wins
    so far.
    Miskien val hulle vanaand uit die bus?

38. avatar Jacques(Bunny)Somtimes I sits and thinks and sometimes I just sits says:
    March 25th, 2013 at 7:42 pm

Maties penalty try and two yellow try

39. avatar Jacques(Bunny)Somtimes I sits and thinks and sometimes I just sits says:
    March 25th, 2013 at 7:43 pm

Maties 8-0

40. avatar Jacques(Bunny)Somtimes I sits and thinks and sometimes I just sits says:
    March 25th, 2013 at 7:43 pm

NMMU two yellows and penalty try shame

41. avatar Jacques(Bunny)Somtimes I sits and thinks and sometimes I just sits says:
    March 25th, 2013 at 7:45 pm

vSteinhoff Villagers take a 16-0 lead into half-time of their Koshuisrugby Championship semifinal against Steinhoff Bastion in Potchefstroom.

42. avatar Jacques(Bunny)Somtimes I sits and thinks and sometimes I just sits says:
    March 25th, 2013 at 7:49 pm

Half time 8-0 for Maties now Maties have the wind be hide them will they use it better than MNNU

43. avatar Jacques(Bunny)Somtimes I sits and thinks and sometimes I just sits says:
    March 25th, 2013 at 7:55 pm

HALF-TIME in Bloemfontein and FNB CUT lead 21-10 over FNB TUT

44. avatar Jacques(Bunny)Somtimes I sits and thinks and sometimes I just sits says:
    March 25th, 2013 at 7:56 pm

Here we go with the 2de

45. avatar Jacques(Bunny)Somtimes I sits and thinks and sometimes I just sits says:
    March 25th, 2013 at 7:57 pm

Reply to Boertjie @ 7:32 pm: Hul verdedig goed Oom

46. avatar Jacques(Bunny)Somtimes I sits and thinks and sometimes I just sits says:
    March 25th, 2013 at 7:58 pm

FNB Fort Hare kick two quick penalties to lead 12-8 at the half-time break against FNB UWC

47. avatar Jacques(Bunny)Somtimes I sits and thinks and sometimes I just sits says:
    March 25th, 2013 at 7:58 pm

Steinhoff Villagers captain Russouw Wheeler scores to give his side a 24-2 lead over Steinhoff Bastion in their Koshuisrugby semifinal.

48. avatar Jacques(Bunny)Somtimes I sits and thinks and sometimes I just sits says:
    March 25th, 2013 at 8:03 pm

Like the way Maties is slowing down game in the rucks almost NZ type of playing

49. avatar Jacques(Bunny)Somtimes I sits and thinks and sometimes I just sits says:
    March 25th, 2013 at 8:06 pm

Steinhoff Villagers wing Jacques Smith scores to extend his team’s lead over Steinhoff Bastion to 29-2.

50. avatar Jacques(Bunny)Somtimes I sits and thinks and sometimes I just sits says:
    March 25th, 2013 at 8:09 pm

Los getjommel

51. avatar Jacques(Bunny)Somtimes I sits and thinks and sometimes I just sits says:
    March 25th, 2013 at 8:10 pm

US (MATIES) 8 vs NMMU (MADIBAZ) 0 after 50 minutes.

52. avatar Jacques(Bunny)Somtimes I sits and thinks and sometimes I just sits says:
    March 25th, 2013 at 8:12 pm

Penalty from FNB TUT and the gap is narrowed to 21-12 in favour of FNB CUT

53. avatar Jacques(Bunny)Somtimes I sits and thinks and sometimes I just sits says:
    March 25th, 2013 at 8:18 pm

MAdibas score

54. avatar Jacques(Bunny)Somtimes I sits and thinks and sometimes I just sits says:
    March 25th, 2013 at 8:19 pm

Two quick tries from Steinhoff Villagers lock Divan Steenekamp sees them lead Steinhoff Bastion 39-2

55. avatar Jacques(Bunny)Somtimes I sits and thinks and sometimes I just sits says:
    March 25th, 2013 at 8:19 pm

FNB UWC have scored the first points of the second half and they now lead FNB Fort Hare 16-12

56. avatar Jacques(Bunny)Somtimes I sits and thinks and sometimes I just sits says:
    March 25th, 2013 at 8:20 pm

Maties 8-5 20 min to go

57. avatar Jacques(Bunny)Somtimes I sits and thinks and sometimes I just sits says:
    March 25th, 2013 at 8:24 pm

Maties score

58. avatar Jacques(Bunny)Somtimes I sits and thinks and sometimes I just sits says:
    March 25th, 2013 at 8:25 pm

Maties 16 NMMU 5

59. avatar Jacques(Bunny)Somtimes I sits and thinks and sometimes I just sits says:
    March 25th, 2013 at 8:26 pm

Maties start to use the ball and hands much better

60. avatar Jacques(Bunny)Somtimes I sits and thinks and sometimes I just sits says:
    March 25th, 2013 at 8:34 pm

NMMU score Maties 16-10

61. avatar Jacques(Bunny)Somtimes I sits and thinks and sometimes I just sits says:
    March 25th, 2013 at 8:47 pm

Great game from NMMU Maties lucky

62. avatar Jacques(Bunny)Somtimes I sits and thinks and sometimes I just sits says:
    March 25th, 2013 at 8:48 pm

US (MATIES) 16 vs NMMU (MADIBAZ) 15 Full-time

63. avatar Jacques(Bunny)Somtimes I sits and thinks and sometimes I just sits says:
    March 25th, 2013 at 8:48 pm

Same teams as last year different twon

64. avatar Jacques(Bunny)Somtimes I sits and thinks and sometimes I just sits says:
    March 25th, 2013 at 8:54 pm

FNB CUT maintained their 100% record in the FNB Varsity Shield as they beat FNB TUT 42-20 on Monday

March 25th, 2013 at 9:52 pm

So Maties scrape through again.
    When will their luck run out?

66. avatar Jacques(Bunny)Somtimes I sits and thinks and sometimes I just sits says:
    March 25th, 2013 at 11:20 pm

Reply to Boertjie @ 9:52 pm: I think against the cheaters they played well tonight

67. avatar Jacques(Bunny)Somtimes I sits and thinks and sometimes I just sits says:
    April 8th, 2013 at 7:50 pm

Tuks score again 3 try

68. avatar Jacques(Bunny)Somtimes I sits and thinks and sometimes I just sits says:
    April 8th, 2013 at 7:55 pm

Tuks 24-0 almost half time

69. avatar Jacques(Bunny)Somtimes I sits and thinks and sometimes I just sits says:
    April 8th, 2013 at 7:57 pm

Tuks lead 24-0 half time

70. avatar Jacques(Bunny)Somtimes I sits and thinks and sometimes I just sits says:
    April 8th, 2013 at 7:58 pm

Maties have everything to do they were shit in 1ste half

71. avatar Jacques(Bunny)Somtimes I sits and thinks and sometimes I just sits says:
    April 8th, 2013 at 8:01 pm

Reply to Boertjie @ 9:52 pm: I think so Tuks miles better team and playing like a team, Maties looks like playing man for man rather as a team

72. avatar Jacques(Bunny)Somtimes I sits and thinks and sometimes I just sits says:
    April 8th, 2013 at 8:19 pm

Try Tuks kak TV Ref he lost the ball but it given

73. avatar Jacques(Bunny)Somtimes I sits and thinks and sometimes I just sits says:
    April 8th, 2013 at 8:29 pm

Maties score try

74. avatar Jacques(Bunny)Somtimes I sits and thinks and sometimes I just sits says:
    April 8th, 2013 at 8:34 pm

Tuks lead Maties 32-5

75. avatar Jacques(Bunny)Somtimes I sits and thinks and sometimes I just sits says:
    April 8th, 2013 at 8:38 pm

Tuks just in another class tonight

76. avatar Jacques(Bunny)Somtimes I sits and thinks and sometimes I just sits says:
    April 8th, 2013 at 8:48 pm

Nothing goes for Maties but if you play that kak you can not expect to have luck on your side, winning teams makes their own luck

77. avatar Jacques(Bunny)Somtimes I sits and thinks and sometimes I just sits says:
    April 8th, 2013 at 8:51 pm

Drop by Blommetjies Tuks 36-5

78. avatar Jacques(Bunny)Somtimes I sits and thinks and sometimes I just sits says:
    April 8th, 2013 at 8:55 pm

Actually sad to see Maties this bad, knew they gonna loose the game but they show no commitment heads down

79. avatar Jacques(Bunny)Somtimes I sits and thinks and sometimes I just sits says:
    April 8th, 2013 at 8:57 pm

Going to a good win for the cheaters sure their will be a few words said about the whole rules bending by the team who won the VC for 2013

80. avatar Jacques(Bunny)Somtimes I sits and thinks and sometimes I just sits says:
    April 8th, 2013 at 8:58 pm

Tuks score one more just to rub it in, humiliating Maties

81. avatar Jacques(Bunny)Somtimes I sits and thinks and sometimes I just sits says:
    April 8th, 2013 at 8:59 pm

Tuks 2013 Champions making it two in a row

82. avatar Jacques(Bunny)Somtimes I sits and thinks and sometimes I just sits says:
    April 8th, 2013 at 9:02 pm

Cheaters win VC, good game from them outclassed Maties in all aspects

83. avatar Jacques(Bunny)Somtimes I sits and thinks and sometimes I just sits says:
    April 8th, 2013 at 9:05 pm

Was one of the best VC in 2013 but final was all Tuks and got boring after just 30 min.

Well done Tuks two in a row