Proudly Rugby

April 1, 2013

Round about this time of the week you will read my review of Super Rugby matches over the weekend…

But apart from congratulating the Cheetahs on a now, 4-match streak equalling their best ever Super Rugby winning streak, I don’t really have much to say about Super Rugby games this week.

There is something I want to vent though, and that is my feeling on some folks in this country fascination with the so-called Cape Crusaders –  and the message is simple; “Get over yourself, your so-called Proudly South African attitude and your hypocrisy!”

For those who are currently cringing, don’t worry, I have no doubt I am about to piss a number of people off today, including friends and even family – but I am just sick and tired of the hypocrisy I am reading every single bloody year on all new media formats.

Really folks, who gives a shit what team any individual supports, and why should anyone support the team you support when they visit your home ground?  Is there some unwritten rule that you deserve more respect from supporters of the opposition team when they visit your home ground I am yet to read about?  Are supporters from other teams also only allowed out to games on their own team’s home ground even if they are hundreds, if not thousands of miles away from it?

Here is the clincher though – has anyone actually tried to strike up a conversation with these so-called Cape Crusaders?  I have, most of it turned out to be great rugby banter and (wait for it) rugby insight!  Yes I did also come across the assholes too but no more when I visited Loftus for many years while staying in Pretoria as a WP supporter.  Assholes you get everywhere, for every team, ignore them, write them off as a joke and move on.

I grew up in a small Eastern Transvaal town called Ermelo until I was 13 years old, I had no right to be a Western Province supporter, but I was (still is), and a massive one at that.  I remember crying my eyes out when we lost the final in 1987 by a single point against our arch-enemies, Northern Transvaal.  And that as an 11-year old laaitie.

But back to the hypocrisy which is what really pisses me off.

So they support a New Zealand team which makes them un-Proudly South African.  Ninja, spare me please.

You want un-Proudly South African create yourself a social media account on Twitter, or just spend some time on blogs or News24 and read the comments from your fellow South Africans. Then give me 10 cents (we still get those coins) for every un-Proudly South African comment you get daily and I will retire in 3 months a billionaire.

Better yet, take note of your fellow South Africans who supports ANY team that plays against the Southern Kings and spin me that line about Proudly South African again please.

Yes this is a gross generalization of the South African rugby public and if you feel offended and pissed off at my comments above, this is aimed at you – if you don’t, then you are probably as sick and tired as I am of this bloody hypocrisy.

Time to end this off.  I love my country, I spent years outside its borders and missed it enough to want to come back to no job, no house, and only 4 suitcases and I did.  I love my team(s), WP and the Springboks, enough for me to cry when they lift a World Cup but also criticise them badly when they are up to shit.  Most of all, I love rugby, and respect the game itself more than any badge, flag, jersey, administrator, hypocrite or asshole with an agenda.

What is clear to me is that I am not Proudly South African – and given its context or meaning as I see it, thank god for that.

Tags: , ,

1. avatar The Year of the Cheetah says:
    April 1st, 2013 at 6:43 pm

With you 100%. I Bethlehem for example I’d say about 40% support WP with about 20% supporting the Sharks and 10% for the Bulls leaving about 30% of the town supporting the Cheetahs.

But I have learnt a long time ago that rugby is a form of entertainment and I certainly am not expected to like Celine Dion even if she is from my town.

We have to learn to become more tolerant of other peoples views and not be so alarmist over everything.

Hell I have for a large part even given up on Boks because I cannot see why I must support wholeheartedly something that I no longer associate with?

I will take your point even further and argue that national pride in itself will at some stage become null and void.

Sport is entertainment, and I like what I like.

2. avatar The Year of the Cheetah says:
    April 1st, 2013 at 6:48 pm

so if I criticize the Kings I cannot be accused of not being proudly south african because I dont give a shite about being proudly south african. Its a narrow concept – for sheep.

At the same time giving energy to (thank ludeke) ones dislike of anything (say in this case the kings) is also whack.

I like the reds and the chiefs more because of how they play.

April 1st, 2013 at 6:51 pm

Reply to The Year of the Cheetah @ 6:48 pm:

Sport does not define patriotism. That above all else I have written above is most important.

4. avatar The Year of the Cheetah says:
    April 1st, 2013 at 7:00 pm

Reply to Morné @ 6:51 pm:

sure. i dont think many things do. If you are a good person then you are good person, not a good south african.

Patriotism is concept dying a rapid death and good riddance to that. Yes a bit of ‘us and them’ makes life fun and thats why sport is cool, but anything above this is a bit daft.

April 1st, 2013 at 7:48 pm

Reply to The Year of the Cheetah @ 7:00 pm:

Not really hey.

The Shumela Venda and “I’m a Zulu Boy” movement, together with Sudan breakup, Czechoslovakia breakup, Balka split up, Tibetan independence, Tamil separatism movements all prove you’re talking kak and the movement of ethnic breakup and identity is growing stronger and stronger. In 2010 an online Beeld poll had 3000 voters and 70% said they’d live in an Afrikaner Volkstaat if given the chance. The poll is ten times more than is actuarially needed to make accurate deductions (300 is the magic number).

Belgium is contemplating splitsville between Flanders and Wallonia.

Scotland is having a referendum to decide whether it wants to stay part of Britain.

Maybe you haven’t been watching Indian and Chinese and Russian and Brazilian displays of power and development of late… pretty frigging patriotic.

Only in the dumbass fantasies of Western liberalism is patriotism dying…

In truth it is exploding worldwide.

April 1st, 2013 at 7:59 pm

But as for attaching patriotism to sport… yes that is stupid BUT it is still happening.

China and Australia invest massive amounts in sports excellence, as does the USA. It is a matter of national pride.

As for being South African, I agree with Brendon on that… that term refers to a geographical location. I am as South African as the rats living in my ceiling.

The problem with this whole concept Morne is that you are just expressing an opinion of what you belief… and opinions have as much value as assholes… considering all living things have one you can work that out so your OPINION is not more or less valid that people who claim that South Africans supporting New Zealand are unpatriotic.

I just think they have more value than yours.

Simply

If a minister supports New Zealand is that okay? No
    If a soldier wears a Kiwi rugby shirt is that okay? No
    If a New Zealander supports the Boks they’s be okay? No they’d be ostracized in New Zealand because, in contrast to what Johnnyking told you on twitter, rugby is a local religion in New Zealand and being anti New Zealand is literally blasphemy.
    If an American soldier wore a teeshirt that supported the Afghani cricket team he’d be in trouble.

That’s just the corollary, but as I said your opinion has as much value as those of people who don’t agree with you, except there may be some merit in what the opposing opinion says.

ps. Geopolitically I agree with you. I don’t see myself as being a proud citizen of something that is a geographic location. I am an Afrikaner.

April 1st, 2013 at 8:01 pm

As for folk telling the Cape Crusaders to go f**k themselves…

My message is

Keep up the good work

You and I both know the Cape Crusaders are not Crusaders for the reason of their sterling rugby skills but about some political chip on their shoulder so by value the argument against the Cape Crusaders can just as easily be

“Uhum… NO… YOU GET OVER YOURSELVES.”

April 1st, 2013 at 8:09 pm

Reply to DavidS @ 7:59 pm:

Is David saying he will support any team that plays against the Kings okay?

Reply to DavidS @ 8:01 pm:

I have chatted to these Crusaders, have you?

But yes, it is just an opinion. But also, do count the frequency I mentioned hypocrisy in the post.

April 1st, 2013 at 8:11 pm

Reply to DavidS @ 7:59 pm:

That would be ‘believe’ – sorry, couldn’t help myself :)

10. avatar The Year of the Cheetah says:
    April 1st, 2013 at 8:44 pm

David all leaders play the patriotism card when they run into shit. Its a good way to divert sheep. But just as I cannot fault afrikaners for wanting to live by themselves I cannot fault blokes who support the Crusaders for whatever reason.

11. avatar The Year of the Cheetah says:
    April 1st, 2013 at 8:48 pm

sport promotes healthy competition to the point where Chiefs and Pirates or Celtic and Rangers can put 80 000 opposing fans in a stadium without any violence. Thats the goal of sport.

The goal of governments and organisations who promote patriotism is very often not as noble.

12. avatar out wide says:
    April 2nd, 2013 at 1:33 am

Good points you make Morne. Every time I go to Newlands and see the Cape Crusaders I remember what makes Newlands different. The fact that you can dare to be different there and most people couldn’t give a monkey’s. During the 2011 semifinal game won by the Crusaders at Newlands, I dared to wear my Crusaders jersey to rev up my Stormers friends I was with (yes I own one because I live in Christchurch). Nobody at the ground gave me grief, just friendly banter and I had a couple of Cape Crusaders coming up to me.

This is how it should be and is pretty much what happens when us Saffers wear a Sharks or Stormers jersey and wave our Seffrican flags to support our sides playing away games in NZ. The locals know we are not tourists but live here amongst them but they accept us. I guess that is what your article is about – respect and accept people who dare to be different. The world would be a better place if people could.

13. avatar Craven says:
    April 2nd, 2013 at 7:43 am

“I remember crying my eyes out when we lost the final in 1987 by a single point against our arch-enemies, Northern Transvaal.”

Which final was this?

I remember the Currie Cup final (Tvl vs N-Tvl).

April 2nd, 2013 at 8:23 am

How can one NOT support or the very least RESPECT the Crusaders after that performance on Saturday? :Dawie:

April 2nd, 2013 at 8:35 am

Reply to Morné @ 8:09 pm:

But read what I wrote…

Oh don’t

I’ll explain it to you monosyllabically

1. Me agree you
    2. You just say what think
    3. People what think difrent can
    4. People what think difrent more backup than you

There

April 2nd, 2013 at 8:42 am

Anyway hipocrisy has nothing to do with it. Again you’re being hipocritic by saying we live in a free country and people can say what they think and freely express their ideas… as long as their ideas are the same as mine.

ps. Craven is right

1987 was me crying my eyes out because that f***king Naas Botha kicked Northern Transvaal to a win in the hail… the game you’re thinking of was 1988

And as I said…

I AGREE WITH YOU

As an example our prez feels f***kall to send our soldiers to run out of ammunition fighting rebels in one of the most unstable countries in South Africa and then slithers out of accountability… you want unproudly South African… look at the corrupt, self aggradising twat that was elected to run our country.

April 2nd, 2013 at 8:45 am

The hypocrisy runs both ways though. If you’re a 19 year old BMW driving Stellies med student son of one of the top Cape advocates supporting the All Blacks and Crusaders because of apartheid oppression of you and your family… welll… that n1993r please remark is as applicable…

April 2nd, 2013 at 9:04 am

Reply to Craven @ 7:43 am:

Quite correct, 1986 rather.

April 2nd, 2013 at 9:08 am

Reply to Morné @ 9:04 am:

Jisis Morne…

You need to stop drinking and smoking bud… :P

It was 1988 and it was at Loftus and WP lost 19-18 in the final…

1986 WP won with ease. Think it was against the Lions and it was because of a brace of tries by some no name replacement who came on with 20 minutes to play.

April 2nd, 2013 at 9:08 am

Reply to DavidS @ 8:35 am:

Ai David, at this point I will ask you to read my post again which deals with people having the right to support who they want to support for whatever reason and that it does not make them all assholes, although there are some as every team has their asshole supporters and that my problem here is the hypocrisy of the so-called ‘proudly South Africans’ screaming patriotism – but you are not going to, so don’t worry.

April 2nd, 2013 at 9:08 am

I’m more pissed off with Brendon because he is talking utter kak

April 2nd, 2013 at 9:11 am

Reply to DavidS @ 9:08 am:

Oops, ’88 – clearly I tried to erase this memory and it almost worked.

23. avatar Craven says:
    April 2nd, 2013 at 10:01 am

As for the topic being discussed here, what really pissed me off was when I heard reports that Stormers players were booed when getting off the bus at Newlands by some other supporters.

At which other stadium will you be booed off the team bus at your home stadium? Bit sad this.

April 2nd, 2013 at 10:26 am

Reply to Morné @ 9:11 am:

Sorry

1987 was pretty traumatic for me too, so you just recalled it and I had to repay the compliment.

April 2nd, 2013 at 10:26 am

Reply to Craven @ 10:01 am:

Joe Pietersen was resoundingly booed every time he lined up a kick too.

26. avatar Ollie says:
    April 2nd, 2013 at 10:59 am

Reply to DavidS @ 10:26 am:

Pals in comparison to the death of a fan in Durban 2 weeks ago.

has any more news come to light as to what the cause was and who the murders are?

27. avatar Craven says:
    April 2nd, 2013 at 11:02 am

Reply to DavidS @ 10:26 am:

Jip, I heard that.

28. avatar Craven says:
    April 2nd, 2013 at 11:03 am

Reply to Ollie @ 10:59 am:

Apparently one of the guys involved had handed himself in and will testify against the other guys.

April 2nd, 2013 at 11:10 am

Reply to Craven @ 10:01 am:

Booing is a cowardly act no matter what the situation. Newlands, Cape Crusaders or not, is one of the worst in this regard.

I find it funny that WP Rugby wants to act now – fans have been calling on them to act years ago about the booing.

April 2nd, 2013 at 11:14 am

Reply to Morné @ 11:10 am:

no respect for the opposition or opposition fans…
    This season in S15 seems to be especially hard hit by this -Fans fighting in the stands in a Kings game, guy gets killed at a Sharks game etc. What next?

April 2nd, 2013 at 11:17 am

Reply to JT_BOKBEFOK! @ 11:14 am:

There were fighting in the stands at Newlands too apparently. Recent events in our stadiums shocking.

April 2nd, 2013 at 11:54 am

The Cape Crusaders are different: there is
    a lot of apartheid hatred in their “support.”
    You can gather it from their SMS’s in the Argus.
    And their criticism whenever a white player is
    selected ahead of one of their wunderkinds.

They also support the All Blacks for the same
    reasons.

Ironically it was the ABs that caused the African
    boycott of the 1976 Olympics.
    And who allowed the Boks in in 1981, and toured
    here in 1986.

Stupid is as stupid does.

April 2nd, 2013 at 11:55 am

Reply to Morné @ 11:17 am:

Fighting at Newlands and EP stadium.
    Murder at Kings Park.
    What next? Some killer going berserk
    like in the USA?

April 2nd, 2013 at 12:44 pm

Reply to Boertjie @ 11:55 am:

Crazy fucking times Oom.

35. avatar Craven says:
    April 2nd, 2013 at 2:23 pm

Reply to Morné @ 11:17 am:

I believe it is just a symptom of what happens in the general population now manifesting in our stadiums as well. The levels of aggression and the violence as a first resort in SOuth Africa is shocking.

As a staunch WP and Stormer supporter, I cringe everytime the boos start ringing out when an opposition player takes a kick.

36. avatar Ollie says:
    April 2nd, 2013 at 2:57 pm

Reply to Craven @ 2:23 pm:

Sad thing is that I wouldn’t even consider taking my kids to a big game nowadays, just not worth the risk and disappointment

April 2nd, 2013 at 3:12 pm

Reply to Ollie @ 2:57 pm:

take them to Twikkers or Murrayfield to watch the Bokke on Tour – safe and nice atmosphere :whistling:

38. avatar biltongbek says:
    April 2nd, 2013 at 5:14 pm

The question is always why do you support a specific team.

The reasoning behind that will tell you all you need to know about the type of supporter you are dealing with.

April 2nd, 2013 at 7:47 pm

Reply to The Year of the Cheetah @ 8:44 pm:

In case you left your brain in Bethlehem buddy, China, India, Russia, Slovenia, Czech republic, Slovakia, Latvia, Lithuania, Estonia and Brazil are NOT in trouble, and neither do they have leaders in trouble. In Belgium there are no leaders except the King trying to call for calm and saying they should stay together and NOT split based on patriotism. Last time I checked America is the most powerful nation on earth by miles and miles and miles. The only economy that remotely manages to meet theirs is the WHOLE EU.

Maybe catch a wakeup before you talk kak.

40. avatar biltongbek says:
    April 2nd, 2013 at 7:50 pm

Reply to DavidS @ 7:47 pm: when last did you have a look at the Chimese economy?

April 2nd, 2013 at 8:03 pm

Reply to Ollie @ 10:59 am:

Ja I saw there were arrests but don’t know exactly what the issue was. There was even a vid of some fighting at Kings Park between Kings fans and Sharks fans. Seemed to have some serious racial overtones too.

Unneccessary and as Morne said really poor reflection on sports.

Amazingly when I took my kids to a game between Valke and Sharks and it went brilliantly and kids had a brilliant time. Similarly when that moron Brendon and I went to Ellis Park last year we were in the family area with our kids (mine and friend were both 7 years old) and had a ball.

Honestly believe these are isolated incidents.

Not excusable but not something to judge the whole of our rugby fandom on.

By the way, Bryan Habana has had a full go at the Cape Crusaders

On Facebook he is getting PLENTY support from people with surnames like Titus and Abrahams all saying the same thing… and I quote:

“They must f**koff to NZ”

As I said above

It’s a valid opinion

April 2nd, 2013 at 8:04 pm

Dunno who the Chimese are…

:P

April 2nd, 2013 at 8:11 pm

Says in Q4 2012 Chinese economy grew by 7,9%

South Africa has not reached that since 1994 in even a single quarter.

Chinese economic growth at the moment poises it to become the biggest economy on earth by 2030.

As I said… no country in trouble needing to rely on patriotism to stay in power. More like a proud booming nation bulking its national muscle and its people developing pride in its achievements.

The same goes for Slovenia and Croatia. They have already achieved their freedom out of Yugoslavia and there is no reason to display patriotism. In both countries their economies are stable and part of the EU. And the same applies here.

Brendon is talking as much kak as that twab Cab who used to ply his trade here annoying all with his bullcrap.

44. avatar biltongbek says:
    April 2nd, 2013 at 9:20 pm

Reply to DavidS @ 8:04 pm: :1up:

CHINESE. :cheers:

April 2nd, 2013 at 9:43 pm

Reply to biltongbek @ 9:20 pm:

:respek:
    :D
    :lol:

46. avatar The Year of the Cheetah says:
    April 3rd, 2013 at 1:00 am

Ai tog I am always in kak on this site. Dawie, please prove to me instances where governments do a better job at promoting unity than sport does. Thats all I am saying.

And i never disagreed that the US is the strongest economy but their economy is built on a very unsustainable idea which is why their banks had to be bailed out socialist style.

America is no longer a capitalist free market society so that idea, like the roman empire, is imploding.

And whatever new system takes over one thing is for sure: africa will not be ready for it.

April 3rd, 2013 at 3:55 am

Reply to DavidS @ 7:59 pm:

Interesting, but patriotism is ultimately about geographic locations. Geographic isolation, fragments language and culture and creates a new ethnic group and displays of unity by that group becomes patriotism.

It world via migration also.

Dutch, Germans, French and others, moved to Africa. Geographic isolation forged a new culture and they became Afrikaners. Geography.

In South Africa their is a small but growing group of people with no specific affiliation to the currently defined ethnic groups. Most English speaking whites for example. They define themselves as South Africans and nothing else.

If the geographic location named South Africa stays in tact long enough they will become the majority (eventually).

April 3rd, 2013 at 10:20 pm

Reply to Timeo @ 3:55 am:

Not at current rates of alienation.