Chiliboy off to France

June 6, 2013

The Blue Bulls Company (Pty) Ltd announced on Thursday that Vodacom Bulls and Vodacom Blue Bulls hooker Chiliboy Ralepelle did not accept an offer to extend his contract past October 31st, 2013. The hooker indicated that he will instead take up an offer with the French club Toulouse.

The BBC and Ralepelle reached consensus on a possible extension in early May, on the proviso of the player also being offered a Springbok contract for 2014/15. A new offer, this time by Toulouse, prompted Ralepelle to decline the contract extension negotiated with the BBC.

The High Performance Manager at the BBC, Xander Janse van Rensburg said they did their best to keep Ralepelle at Loftus Versfeld, where he has played all of his Vodacom Cup, Absa Currie Cup and Vodacom Super Rugby matches and also became a Springbok.

“We tried our best, but Chiliboy decided it was time to move on. We respect his decision,” Janse van Rensburg said.

Ralepelle indicated that it was a lifestyle and career move.

“I always wanted to play abroad and this opportunity will provide that. I also feel that I will develop further as a rugby player in France, where different set skills will be required. I can only improve by playing over there.”

He will leave the union with mixed emotions, Ralepelle said.

“The Bulls were my life for so long, so of course I will miss it, but have peace of mind about my decision to move abroad. There are no ill-feelings on either side, it was just time for me to move on.”

•Janse van Rensburg also confirmed that negotiations with scrumhalf Jano Vermaak has progressed well and is at an advanced stage.

“We are aware of the overseas offer made to Jano and this forms part of our negotiations,” he said

1. avatar Jacques(Bunny)Somtimes I sits and thinks and sometimes I just sits says:
    June 6th, 2013 at 6:13 pm

At one stage he was mark as a future Bok Captain

June 6th, 2013 at 6:19 pm

This is sad news. He is really such a massive part of the Bulls success this year. Hope you come back a stronger player Chilliboy, you will allways be welcome at Loftus.

3. avatar Duiwel says:
    June 6th, 2013 at 7:35 pm

Best move he could make.
    Great club.
    Great lifestyle.
    Great for his development .
    Great for his career.

June 6th, 2013 at 7:46 pm

:respek: maybe now you will get some! :applause:

June 6th, 2013 at 8:42 pm

Poster boy project gone wrong – which is a great pity because he is a very good player.

Go well Chili.

June 6th, 2013 at 9:10 pm

Laughed at wag on twitter

When I heard Chilli was contracted to Toulose I thought he was moving to the Stormers…

June 7th, 2013 at 5:42 am

Haha, I wish there was a like button for that one david!

8. avatar Mug Punters Organisation of South Africa says:
    June 7th, 2013 at 6:37 am

Reply to DavidS @ 9:10 pm: That is brilliant!!!!!!

9. avatar Mug Punters Organisation of South Africa says:
    June 7th, 2013 at 6:48 am

I believe any player receiving BOK and elite training must sign contracts.

The IP develop by the Boks is then taken advantage by the player and to be used for his own future career use.

June 7th, 2013 at 8:38 am

Reply to Mug Punters Organisation of South Africa @ 6:48 am:

why? Nothing stopping the player to play for SA, nothing stopping the coach selecting him either!

11. avatar Mug Punters Organisation of South Africa says:
    June 7th, 2013 at 1:34 pm

Reply to JT_BOKBEFOK! @ 8:38 am: if you want to keep your top players local. try keeping, under these comps, strength versus strength games to keep your local rugby strong.

Of course okes can go where they want its professional era and coaches must live with the fact that wont have all their best players available.
    Club versus country and of course players receiving all your best training and elite programs to run out against you.

The Rathbone affect.

I would love to see a global season of rugby, The whole year season.

A mugs opinion.

June 7th, 2013 at 2:39 pm

Reply to Mug Punters Organisation of South Africa @ 1:34 pm:

Let them play overseas imo and if they are good enough select them! Overseas teams can only contract x amount of players and when the market is saturated the balance will be restored.

13. avatar Duiwel says:
    June 7th, 2013 at 8:05 pm

Exactly.
    He can learn a lot at Toulouse .
    And it will bear fruit in his game.
    Might even advance his springbok cause rather
    Than harm it.

June 8th, 2013 at 2:53 am

Was his best season in his career this…