The time has come to say goodbye

I never thought that I would have to write something like this one day – but the time has come for me to say goodbye to all my friends on RuggaWorld.

It is with some sadness that I have to bid you all farewell in an official capacity here at RuggaWorld, but I do it with very good reason.

The thing is, I have been offered an amazing opportunity. An opportunity guys like me (and I am sure every rugby lover) can usually only dream of – to make a career out of the game.

Don’t worry, Heyneke has not selected me for this weekend’s game…  But rugby will now become my life in more ways than just being some random dude that gives opinions on the game, it will become my career as I accepted an offer to go work at SA Rugby in their High Performance division.

With such a great opportunity does come some sacrifice however, and the biggest one is that I can no longer be directly involved in RuggaWorld or comment on the game as I did for the last 8 years.  Conflict of interest stuff – you know… So this week is my last week I am officially part of the team.

It has been such an awesome journey though – from the day myself, Dawie, Deon, Org  and Nelius decided it would be a good idea to start our own blog since Keo closed over that one December, I made the most wonderful friends, had the most intense debates (fights with Dawie), but got the opportunity to share thoughts and ideas of what is a huge passion of mine in rugby, with likeminded folks.

I have no doubt the majority of friends I made on the blog and on twitter over the years are going to end up being friends for life – that is just how we roll on RuggaWorld, and I want to say thank you to each and every one of you for the endless enjoyment it all gave me for so many years – or probably more importantly, thank you to your partners/wives etc for letting you talk kak for hours on end on a bloody website!

After all, if it wasn’t for RuggaWorld and you lot who stuck with us, I would never have ended up with the opportunity I have now…

I won’t disappear completely of course, you just won’t see me post articles like you used to. And if you want to stay in touch off-line, my email will still be up and running. RuggaWorld is also not going anywhere – there will be a couple of obvious changes of course but those will be communicated through to you folks I am sure.

So finally – thank you to each and every one, not just for your loyalty to this website, but for your friendships over the years which I truly value.

40 thoughts on “The time has come to say goodbye

Ollie

on

Morne, it was a pleasure getting to know you here and am sure the place will poorer for it. Unfortunately I haven’t had the time recently to have discussions with you on Ruggaworld as much in the past but still appreciate the time.

Congratulations on the new position and am sure you will do them proud. What will your post be there?

Cheers and best of luck, mate.

ReplyReply
  • Nothing left to say that hasn’t already been said bud.

Best of luck and congratulations on the new job.

Craven

on

Congrats and I am a bit jealous of your opportunity to make a living out of the sport we love so much.

All the best Morne and hopefully we will have the opportunity to get some insight into what you will be doing once you are up running?

• Reply to Ollie @ 2:27 pm: Reply to Craven @ 2:34 pm:

I will be working with Rassie specifically with a program SA Rugby has implemented.

Its an app which builds a national database of players but more than that, tracks their development from U/16 level right through to the senior Boks.

The idea is not only to start identifying rugby assets from an early age, but also pro-actively ensure we guide in their development from juniors to senior professional players working on areas of their game they are not too strong in.

Players will be able to track their own performances over extended periods as analyzed by various specialist coaches and experts.

There is also a big drive on identifying and mentoring players that does not have access to support structures you will find in elite rugby schools. One day camps or rugby clinics although valuable to some extent does nothing for long term guidance and support for our young rugby stars – this will hopefully change that.

But as soon as I am stuck in and on top of things, I will give you guys an update of exactly what we are doing.

ReplyReply
  • Congrats Morne! Enjoy it!

If you ever come through this way you kow where to find me ;-)

Timeo

Congrats.
    And if you ever need to know how to make Bok performance higher, just ask. We’ll have the solutions to all your problems, and more, right here. :lol:

Timeo

on

On the other hand Anakin, why did you join the Dark Side?

• Reply to Morné @ 2:50 pm:

Sounds great! :applause:

• Reply to Timeo @ 2:52 pm:

Only way to change something is from within ;)

Thomas_Bulls

Congrats Morne!!!!!

All the best for the new job! May the Lord bless you in all that you do and achieve there.

:beer:

Timeo

on

Great thing about the new job is, you’ll get a bonus and promotion if you screw up.

bryce_in_oz

on

Wow awesome news Morne… congrats mate!!!!

biltongbek

on

Congratulations Morne, good luck with the new venture, as long as you promise not to become one of those “What happens behind closed doors stays behind closed doors” types.

It would be nice to have “someone on the inside” so to speak.

Ollie

Reply to Morné @ 2:50 pm:

Niiice, sounds right up your alley. Just don’t let the powers that be get to you with their crap from the top.

• Wow Morne!

I’m happy for you, buddy!

Now go change things for the better at SARU and help build the brighter future for SA Rugby and the youngsters of the next generations to come!

Thanks specifically also for your open support of Rugby-Talk and enduring me here at Ruggaworld from time to time.

We need to cross-support and cross-polinate our views accross the independent blogs like Ruggaworld and Rugy-Talk and I have always found allies here at Ruggaworld, mostly might I say due to your dedication and rugby contributions.

I will keep your Cell Number, your E-mail address and I will keep in contact, that is a promise!

Boertjie

on

Sure is shit news to me, but you can’t keep
    a good man down.
    All the best – it was eight wonderful years.

ReplyReply
  • Good luck bud, you’ve just proven that a whole bunch of crap talk can get you somewhere in life. I’m inspired :respek:

Great stuff brah, now don’t forget you still owe me an invite for a potjie

The Year of the Cheetah

on

well i am not surprised. SARU giving a job to someone who know fokol about rugby….

:lol:

congrats morne. so bloody chuffed for you.

garyj1-Bulls

on

Morne congratulations man are you moving away from the Valley?

ReplyReply
  • Congrats mate, really chuffed for you.

But please – no Jean de Villiers at 10…

Cheers

ReplyReply
  • Thanks everyone, it sure is a great opportunity but I will still be around here though from time to time.

I am going to miss most of this terribly though – been a part of my life for almost a decade.

Timeo

Reply to Morné @ 2:54 pm:

That’s what Obama said. :roll:

Aldo

on

Congrats Morne! Die is awesome nuus vir jou, so naby as ons plebs kan kom aan living the springbok dream. Ek is regtig verskriklik bly vir jou.

But in mentioning that, I am extremely worried about all the talent that is gonna go wasted, as Morne tries to convert every Jean de Villiers look alike into our own stephen larkham. Whether the kid plays centre, prop or hooker, nothing will stop Morne. I see a generation of flyhalves with not boot what so ever coming up.

Reply to Provincejoulekkading @ 4:29 pm:
    my fnok clayton jou skiewie gemors! Lewe jy nog? Ek dog die tik het jou lankal gevat. Bloody hell, how are you. We havent spoken in ages!

Americano

Morne –
    While I don’t necessarily approve of your sudden departure….what am I gonna do?

I do have one request though….
    If in your new capacity you ever get a chance to rub elbows with Messerschmitt-Willie, will you please….
    High Five him for me – easily his biggest supporter stateside
    &
    Let him know of his ruggaworld nickname.

Thanks & go easy!

Americano

Ok one last thing….
    So is Morne really Deon?
    OR
    Is Boertje also Deon?

When I first got on this thing there was a guy named Deon & then poof….he split.

I think it was due to something Aldo said – it couldn’t have been me.

ReplyReply
  • All of us are Deon Americano… only you aren’t….

Boertjie

Reply to Americano @ 9:34 pm:

Nope, all different individuals.
    I think Deon split because Jake White’s team
    is doing so well.

out wide

on

Congrats Morne. In line with tongue in cheek comments from others here, I ask whether you have the right credentials for working at SA Rugby? You seem way too logical and reasonable to work there :pot: Seriously, thanks for the patience and neutrality you have shown in keeping law and order on this blogsite. Still one of the best for being allowed to dare to think outside the square without being insulted too badly.

Aldo

on

Americano, sometimes even I get to be Deon, other times I have to do the dishes, then Im Deon’s wife tafelberg. It gets complicated when 3 of us log on as Deon at once.

Duiwel

Poepol butch james tell him thx costing the Sharks the title
    with that kick please.

Duiwel

Deon is Donner

Aldo

on

Shhht Duiwel, ons almal weet dit, maar americano nie.

Pom in Joburg

All the best Bud

Let me know when your in Joburg, you still owe me a beer !!

Cheers
    Mark

Duiwel

Bergie,
    Ok.
    Sorry.
    Is hy scitzo?

Duiwel

on

Schizophrenia (/ˌskɪtsɵˈfrɛniə/ or /ˌskɪtsɵˈfriːniə/) is a mental disorder characterized by a breakdown of thought processes and by a deficit of typical emotional responses.[1] Common symptoms include auditory hallucinations, paranoid or bizarre delusions, or disorganized speech and thinking, and it is accompanied by significant social or occupational dysfunction. The onset of symptoms typically occurs in young adulthood, with a global lifetime prevalence of about 0.3–0.7%.[2] Diagnosis is based on observed behavior and the patient’s reported experiences. :boks:

ReplyReply
  • Congrats Boet, this is a hell of an job and I know you will enjoy this.

:beer:

• Congratulations Morne

Cannot think of anyone better to do that job!

Excellent “company” as weLL!

Injecting intelligence into process- eish – things are looking gOOde-

far cry from getting the yeLLow valiant stuck on a namibian beach ekse!

:respek:

Mug Punters Organisation of South Africa

on

Well done and congrats from all the Mugs out there.

You are now open for ridicule and abuse of course.