De Klerk: Kings’ free ride over

July 31, 2013

Cape Town – News24 – Lions president Kevin de Klerk is confident that his team will take what he believes is their rightful place in Super Rugby.

The Lions were replaced by the Kings for this year’s competition, but are favourites to return next season after beating their foes from Port Elizabeth 26-19 in the first promotion-relegation match last week.

For the Kings to stay up, they have to win Saturday’s second clash at Ellis Park by at least eight points or with a four-try bonus point.

But De Klerk believes his team will shut the door on the Kings.

“We want to right some wrongs. It will taste real sweet if that happens. I am proud of my team and for the courage they showed over the weekend,” he told the Beeld website.

“The way I see things, the Kings won’t make it.”

However, if the Kings lose the promotion-relegation playoffs, De Klerk expects them to again fight for their spot in the SARU boardroom.

“Yes, if we win it will again be another ball game. (But) this time we’re going to the boardroom with a loaded gun. Then we’ll have shut everyone’s mouths with the way we played and prove that we belong in the (Super Rugby) series.

“The Kings supposedly did well in their first season? But now we are thrashing them?

“We’ll have a plan of action in place when such a time arrives,” continued De Klerk.

The clash at Ellis Park kicks off at 17:00 on Saturday.

July 31st, 2013 at 8:09 am

I for one would not have been so arrogant after my team scrap through last weekend and had some help from an incompetent ref.

Hope for his sake it does not bite him in the arsh

July 31st, 2013 at 8:54 am

Thrashing?? :what: @Kings Please do me a favour and shut this :asshole: up on saturday!!

Go Kings :Rule 9:

3. avatar biltongbek says:
    July 31st, 2013 at 9:09 am

Fine. let’s say the Lions are back next year. What are they going to do to perform better than before?

July 31st, 2013 at 9:31 am

Ouch… too soon for that kinda talk Kev…

Good question BB…

July 31st, 2013 at 9:39 am

@bryce_in_oz:

would not have had a problem with the Lions winning and coming back to S15 rugby but talk like that rubs me the wrong way!

6. avatar Ollie says:
    July 31st, 2013 at 10:40 am

JT, me as well

7. avatar Ollie says:
    July 31st, 2013 at 10:42 am

Especially when the Kings camp say they find it unfortunate that the Lions had to lose out and wished that both could be in.

July 31st, 2013 at 10:43 am

I am fully supporting the Kings on Saturday and I hope they kick this Lions teams arsh.

No wonder the Lions does not fair well in Supershit, if he thinks they thrash them last Saturday.

I totally lost my respect for Kevin. :noshake:

July 31st, 2013 at 10:45 am

Adding to that I feel sorry for the Lions supporters to have an President like that

10. avatar Brendon says:
    July 31st, 2013 at 10:58 am

yes i am also firmly behind the kings now. What a rude and uncouth old man this de klerk is?

11. avatar Ollie says:
    July 31st, 2013 at 11:25 am

That said, I would still like the full story because I don’t trust the media

July 31st, 2013 at 12:45 pm

Yep Ollie I’d have to agree… this little outburst is extremely out-of-character considering the month’s we’ve heard him speak under far more emotive situations… sounds like bollocks from a certain part of the media…

13. avatar Mug Punters Organisation of South Africa says:
    July 31st, 2013 at 12:56 pm

They were at the bottom and got relegated, next! I like Kings, great spirit good crowds too but this is the rules.

Whoever is at the bottom next time must go down as promotion is a good motivational factor and should be the pinacle of local competition between the teams.

The Lions were playing pretty good rugby some how are always getting :Rule 9: by the refs.

July 31st, 2013 at 2:01 pm

Muggies… they haven’t been relegated yet… there’s another game still… and the game wasn’t a thrashing it was far closer than either a> De Klerk or b> a mischievous journo is alluding was the case…

July 31st, 2013 at 2:07 pm

@bryce_in_oz:

And the Kings won’t be missing any motivation after this! If I were coach I would post this on every players door! :twisted:

July 31st, 2013 at 2:10 pm

Haha… this reminds of that story years ago when Dawie, Murph and a few went to KP for the S15 final… and Murph raced, in his socks, against some dude car over a few metres… poor man’s version of this latest from Habs…

July 31st, 2013 at 9:34 pm

Quite frankly there is no room for either
    team in the S15.
    Who ever makes it will be fighting for
    the wooden spoon.
    We have enough talent to feed four competitive
    teams – that’s it.