AJ Venter Talks to Ruggaworld

October 14, 2013

Regular blogger Americano requested that we try and hunt down AJ Venter for an interview and today we are proud to give you this exclusive Q&A with the legend himself:

hmmm another caprice party...

hmmm another caprice party…

1)        You are a ginger. Do you have a special place in your heart for
Kitshoff?

You must first know that the ginger race is taking over the world, and we will not stop until it happens!!!! He is a great player, I dont know why us gingers always have that aggressive streak, but I like that about his play, I think he is gonna go all the way.

2)        Your career took off in Bloemfontein, yet you are a bit of a
metrosexual. Did it bother you that Bloem  only had one place where you
could catch a decent cuppachino?

When I played in bloem they didn’t even sell cappuchino’s, it was instant black or with milk thats it. When I moved to Italy from Bloem as a young cat, I arrived in the very modern Northern Italy with Khaki kit, I thought that Diesel is something you only put in tractors, I didn’t know it was a very fashionable clothing brand (shocked) But I love the way the Cheetahs play their rugby now, they are definitely my favorite team at this moment.

3)        You were schooled at HTS Louis Botha. Have you checked in to see
how remarkably well your alma mater is doing, especially in athletics?

I have not been back for years, but I hooked up with an old school mate afew weeks ago, and I was pleasantly surprised to hear that they are doing really well in sport now. When I was there myself Okkert Brits and Allen Donald was the only Springboks from HTS. I should definitely go back for a look see.

4)        You were one of the pioneer South African players to play a stint
overseas before coming back to complete an illustrious career. Is the
current player exodus a good thing?

It is unfortunate for South Africa that we lose our best players to the
pound and Euro, but if you look at it from the players perspective it is just fair that they look after themselves and their families, a rugby players life is short and you have to make the best of it.

5)        Many people feel the current Bok loose trio are not balanced as we
lack a skillfull link player. You played with some great loose trios, so
what is your opinion in this regard?

I absolutely love the loose trio at this moment, I think they gel well
together. These are the best strongest fastest and most skilfull guys in the world, and we have so much depth in the country as well, SA has always produced amazing loosies and we always will.

6)        What are your thoughts on the the launch of the Economic Freedom
Fighters in Marikana this past weekend?

Like all of us my first sentiment is fear, fear because of the slight chance that those guys that call them leaders of EFF could actually be our “leaders” one day. It definitely gives me an uncomfortable feeling.

7)        Do you still buy CD’s or do you use a streaming service, and who
are your favorite bands right now?

CD ? what is that…….. I love music, I listen to all kinds of music, but
the stuff that really gets me going is deep house and house. I listen more to non commercial music, a bit of underground stuff you know…….

8)        If smartphones were rugby players, which one best represents AJ
Venter?

I have always been an Apple (iphone man) but I lost my phone and our store in Ballito had no iphones, so by default I bought the new Samsang Galaxy S1v, let me tell you I can believe how amazing that phone is and a cant believe that I waisted my time with iphone for that long. So ’cause its amazing I am the Galaxy, hehe

9)        Who is going to win the Currie Cup and why?

Its gonna be tough, but I think WP stand a good change this year,we will have to wait and see.

Well there you have it guys. If you have any other questions to ask AJ please go ahead – we can try hussle him to get on here and defend himself! In the meantime you can follow AJ on Twitter @AJVenter_

Thanks so much for your time AJ. The image of you arrive with two-tones in Italy is truly one to behold!

Regards,

Ruggaworld.

1. avatar Brendon says:
    October 14th, 2013 at 3:03 pm

During AJ’s playing time the agents and scouts in Europe obviously tested the waters still. In the early days it was only a certain player that would make it alone in a strange environment and they obviously had it spot on with AJ and Franco Smith and the likes.

2. avatar Thabu Bertram says:
    October 14th, 2013 at 1:21 pm

This man obviously knows his rugby! Saying province will win. Played primary schools Cravenweek with him – he was even clever then!

October 14th, 2013 at 3:22 pm

Many people feel the current Bok loose trio are not balanced as we
    lack a skillfull link player. You played with some great loose trios, so
    what is your opinion in this regard?

I absolutely love the loose trio at this moment, I think they gel well
    together. These are the best strongest fastest and most skilfull guys in the world, and we have so much depth in the country as well, SA has always produced amazing loosies and we always will

I absolutely agree with AJ on this

4. avatar Brendon says:
    October 14th, 2013 at 3:24 pm

@Jacques(Bunny):

yes I was suprised by his comment there. I also like our loose trio but we are not good enough for Kiwis because we lack a link player. Start with Alberts sure, but later in the game you need something else. Deon Fourie to do what Louw does and Lappies to do what Alberts does?

5. avatar Brendon says:
    October 14th, 2013 at 3:27 pm

Stongest, fastest and most skillful. Hmmm I am not sure I agree with AJ.

October 14th, 2013 at 3:32 pm

@Brendon: I think HM need to play around with the loosies in his match 24.

We need to start playing to the conditions and teams we face, that is just my thought

October 14th, 2013 at 3:33 pm

@Jacques(Bunny): They do have the skills and they are strong, fastest :) me do not think so, but in todays game it is not just the 3 loosies that makes them great but the whole teams defence.

8. avatar Brendon says:
    October 14th, 2013 at 4:13 pm

Cant remember was AJ 8 with Rassie and Andre Venter at Cheetahs?

Also cannot remember Duane playing in trio with Scholtz and Brussouw when Juan Smith was around?

October 14th, 2013 at 4:16 pm

Bravo YOC – another great interview catch.
    Always liked AJ’s grit. He could play flank & lock ( will same be said of PSDT?)

What are the chances of Lappies getting a shot in EOYT?
    I like the idea of getting him in there at times in place of Alberts.
    I don’t think it will be the case though as Alberts’ game is more for the muck of Euro fields in the fall.

Lappies reminds me of Schalk Burger in this regard – He has a ceaseless motor. I think that and his rangey-ness of stature would show well in Bok outfit.

10. avatar Brendon says:
    October 14th, 2013 at 4:18 pm

Just been trying to find some archives on AJ and suddnely bumped into none other than Caper (spook) Steyn!

Ha! Legend….

11. avatar David Spohr says:
    October 15th, 2013 at 5:36 am

Clearly a nice guy… thanks RW

October 15th, 2013 at 7:38 am

Casper Steyn?

13. avatar Dean Hammerich says:
    October 15th, 2013 at 5:47 am

Mah booi!

October 15th, 2013 at 9:40 am

AJ… I’d like to see some even bigger hits on Wok thanks!