Experienced Springbok Sevens for USA

January 15, 2014

bokke

Springbok Sevens coach Neil Powell named an experienced team to defend their HSBC Sevens World Series tournament title at the USA Sevens in Las Vegas next weekend.

Injury permitting, the same team will also travel to New Zealand a week later for the Wellington Sevens tournament.

Powell included 10 players from his contracted group and handed a national debut to Steval Pumas flyer Rosko Specman. Powell also included a fit-again Seabelo Senatla, who will make a first appearance in the 2013/14 HSBC Sevens World Series.

Vodacom Bulls winger Sampie Mastriet, who played in all three IRB tournaments thus far this season, has again being included in the squad and Stephan Dippenaar is also back, having returned to full fitness after missing the Cell C Nelson Mandela Bay Sevens in December.

In all, Powell made three changes from the squad that won the Port Elizabeth event, with Specman, Dippenaar and Senatla replacing Cheslin Kolbe (DHL Stormers), Kwagga Smith and Steven Hunt respectively.

“It wasn’t an easy decision to finalise the squad as everyone really worked hard to make the final cut,” said Powell.

“Players such as Steven, Kwagga and Jamba Ulengo can count themselves unlucky not to be in the team, whilst Paul Delport has also just returned to full fitness after a serious knee injury.

“Rosko was with the team in Port Elizabeth and just missed out on selection there, but he kept working hard and deserves his opportunity,” Powell said of the Nelspruit-based player.

“He excelled for the SARU Sevens Academy team and was named Player of the Tournament at the Punta del Este 7s earlier this month, so I am confident that he can contribute significantly in our efforts to retain our title in Las Vegas.”

South Africa will be looking at a third title in in the Sam Boyd Stadium in Las Vegas, but will first have to overcome Kenya, Wales and Canada in Pool A.

They are currently second on the HSBC Sevens World Series log with 56 points, just two behind New Zealand (58).

The Springbok Sevens team (with number of tournaments) is:

Kyle Brown (captain, 36), Chris Dry (31), Philip Snyman (18), Frankie Horne (53), Rosko Specman (0), Werner Kok (3), Branco du Preez (26), Stephan Dippenaar (16), Justin Geduld (7)

Cecil Afrika (27), Sampie Mastriet (5), Seabelo Senatla (5)

1. avatar namboer says:
    January 15th, 2014 at 7:01 pm

Hoessit, Tjops.

Hoera, bietjie rugby op die tiewie hierdiekant van die dam!
    :support:

Schedule says they are broadcasting four 2-hour snippets on 2 channels – sure I’ll get the one, not 100% sure about the other.
    Americano, suspect you’ll be keeping an eye on proceedings too?

January 15th, 2014 at 7:12 pm

@namboer: Enjoy it Namboer, I cannot wait for 6 Nations and Supershit, Sharks look like a good team this year.

3. avatar namboer says:
    January 15th, 2014 at 7:19 pm

@Jacques(Bunny): Dankie, sal inderdaad!
    Not much to look forward to except that :? streaming is crap and don’t like watching recorded games, neither have the time for it. …Vat maar ‘n ekstra dop en skree vir die WiePie vir my part! :D

January 15th, 2014 at 7:36 pm

@namboer: :wave: Sal so maak

January 16th, 2014 at 4:36 am

No way Nam – 7′s blows. Plus didn’t the US lose that super fast Carlin Isles to his dream of being on the Detroit Lions only to get stuck on their practice squad or unceremoniously dropped in training camp?
    That guy only played DII or whatever in college football & he was no great shakes at that.
    Oh well. Someday US7′s will get a clue & drop all the rugby guys but maybe 2 ex-pats and stock the rest of the team with straight up olympic sprinters. I

6. avatar namboer says:
    January 16th, 2014 at 9:52 pm

@Americano: Any kind of international rugby on TV is a real treat for me, I’ll take it, thanks! And Powell has ties to Namibia, his brother played for us in a few RWC’s. So all the more reason to cheer for the BlitzBokke.

Not sure about the exact status of Carlin Isles, I got the idea he was just on loan to Detroit & still contracted to USA Rugby. At first I liked the captain (now player-coach) Matt Hawkins – accent like he’s from SA – but he’s making a hash of it unfortunately. Hardly gives Isles any game time and even though he need to work (lots!) on additional skills, speed does kill and more so in 7′s.

Won’t ever give up proper rugby for 7′s though, agree with you on that.

7. avatar namboer says:
    January 16th, 2014 at 9:55 pm

@Americano: Indeed, Isles will be playing in Vegas – must have just been on loan.

8. avatar Methos The French Stormer says:
    January 17th, 2014 at 11:08 am

Namboer, Americano

Try vipbox.tv. I stream all my games on it and I have no problems with it.

I plug the laptop into the TV when the little one is sleeping and then I can watch it on the big screen in very good quality! They even have cricket on it.

Cheers

January 17th, 2014 at 12:48 pm

@Methos The French Stormer:

It’s great… but use Add Block Plus and AdBlock…

10. avatar Methos The French Stormer says:
    January 17th, 2014 at 1:05 pm

Bryce – I do – but forgot to mention it. Really takes the frustration out of the adds. Just wish the bloody Super 15 would hurry up and get here…

Cheers

January 17th, 2014 at 10:11 pm

Thanks Methos. Will do. Cricket is a bridge too far for me…
    But this will come in handy – its a real bitch to see SA when they play in Europe hopefully this will help that – God forbid Messerschmitt-Willie heads to Europe some day!

I don’t like watching NH Heineke etc. Direct TV has all the SH stuff locked up and it is so-nice. Even Currie Cup I see now.

12. avatar namboer says:
    January 20th, 2014 at 8:31 pm

@Methos The French Stormer: Ta. I do use it, but my internet connection somewhat sluggish and makes watching really frustrating. :? I’ll try the AdBlock though, thanks Methos/Bryce, I HATE those 110 banners.

@Americano: The folks I live with have Dish, didn’t know Direct TV has all that rugby – interesting.