CJ accepts Irelands call

January 30, 2014

CJ-Stander-Munster-630Former Bulls flank CJ Stander has committed to a long-term goal of playing Test rugby for Ireland by signing a two-year contract extension with Munster that will see them stay with the province until June 2016.

Stander joined Munster in October 2012 from Super Rugby side the Bulls and made his debut as a substitute against Scarlets that November at Musgrave Park.

A week later, the powerful back row unit scored two tries on his first league start against Glasgow Warriors at Thomond Park.

The 23-year-old South African made his European Cup debut against Edinburgh in October 2013 in Murrayfield, and to date he has played 22 times for Munster, scoring six tries.

Duncan Casey also agreed a two-year contract extension. The Cork man is a product of the Munster Academy and is currently contracted as a development hooker.

The 23-year-old will move to a full senior contract at the end of this season on the back of impressive breakthrough performances this year.

He made his debut off the bench against Perpignan in the European Cup at Thomond Park in December and then made his first start against Scarlets in the league at Musgrave Park two weeks later. He has made three further appearances off the bench so far this season.

Commenting on the confirmed signings, head coach Rob Penney said, “We’ve had a really positive start to 2014 with players committing their future to Munster and I believe this spurs the younger lads on, knowing what is ahead of them and who will be leading the way.

“We are extremely pleased with CJ’s progress, it’s great that he has recommitted to Munster and that he believes this is the best place for his development.

“Similarly for Duncan, it bodes well for the future, and his progression is another example of the hard work that is being carried out at grassroots level.”

Source: Rugby365

January 30th, 2014 at 6:36 am

Still cannot understand how we could have let this guy go over to Ireland, one of the better players I have seen in a long time.

Should have been now the Bulls captain and not the has-been Spies with his juiced up body.

January 30th, 2014 at 8:59 am

Cj stander was a massive loss. The guy is brilliant.

3. avatar Cheetah Glory says:
    January 30th, 2014 at 4:08 pm

Yip agree – how the Bulls let him slip (for Spies and others) is not totally understandable.

January 30th, 2014 at 8:31 pm

Brendon they offered him some hefty contract to stay because he WAS seen as a future Bulls and even Bok skipper and his first SR season proved it…

It was common knowledge the Bulls tried their level best to keep him here but the overseas guys just offered too much money…

NOBODY could compete with GBP1 – ZAR14

So stop talking kak that the Bulls let him “slip through their fingers”

That’s as stupid as saying Heyneke Meyer let dronkie lazy ass Trevor NyAAkane slip through his fingers…

January 31st, 2014 at 6:51 am

Hehe if I said what you just said Dawie, Id be called a stupid Bulls supporter. Thanks for pointing out the obvious!

January 31st, 2014 at 7:13 am

@DavidS: They did not mind spending the money a few years ago to get Victor back, invest in the youth and let baggage like Spies and Stegman go and play up north.

This is not just a Bulls problem it is all over with all the provinces.

7. avatar Christo (Vetgesmeerde Blits) says:
    January 31st, 2014 at 11:10 am

Here is what CJ had to say about leaving:

“Ek het my agent hiervan vertel en hy het gesê Munster wil ‘n aanbod maak.

8. avatar Christo (Vetgesmeerde Blits) says:
    January 31st, 2014 at 11:44 am

Here is what CJ had to say about leaving:
    “Ek het my agent hiervan vertel en hy het gesê Munster wil ‘n aanbod maak.

January 31st, 2014 at 1:37 pm

Stander is really good. But talk about jumping from pot to frying pan….
    Yeah he escaped the cultish clutches of bulls but now….he has to live in Ireland.
    Eeesh!
    Only been there once but it didn’t take long before I realized why my great grand dad decided to blow that popsicle stand.
    So cold, wet & gray, felt like my entire body had trenchfoot.

Hope he decides to go back & play at the Vatican of SA Rugby…..Cheetah Field.

10. avatar Christo (Vetgesmeerde Blits) says:
    January 31st, 2014 at 2:28 pm

Here is what CJ had to say about leaving:
    “Ek het my agent hiervan vertel en hy het gesê Munster wil ‘n aanbod maak.

January 31st, 2014 at 3:00 pm

Im glad you call the Freestate the vatican of sa rugby. In now way what so ever do I want to be associated with the vatican.

12. avatar Christo (Vetgesmeerde Blits) says:
    January 31st, 2014 at 4:29 pm

Well if he was seen as the future he didn’t know about it. I would also have left if I was stuck behind an one dimensional basher like Jaques Potgieter and to a lesser extend Pierre Spies going missing for a few seasons. Here is what CJ had to say about leaving: “Ek weet ek het baie mense geskok met my besluit om vir Munster te speel, maar ek beskou dit as ‘n goeie skuif vir my loopbaan,” het Stander aan keo.co.za gesê. “Ek het gedink ek sou lank vir die Bulle speel, maar ek is nie gelukkig met die speeltyd wat ek daar kry nie. Ek was in die beginspan vir ‘n paar wedstryde, maar daar is Springbokke en ander spelers wat tans voor my in die hiërargie is. So ek is nie verseker van ‘n plek in die 15-tal nie.” “Ek het my agent hiervan vertel en hy het gesê Munster wil ‘n aanbod maak. “Munster bied hul spelers slegs tweejaar-kontrakte aan. Ek’s nie seker wat my finale besluit gaan wees wanneer my kontrak verstryk nie, maar ek stel belang om vir Ierland te speel as die geleentheid hom voordoen.” Stander het egter bygevoeg dat die Springbokke altyd sy eerste keuse sal wees, maar hy dink nie dat hy deel is van Heyneke Meyer se huidige planne nie. There was also talk that Heyneke wanted CJ to covert to hooker( Like he did very successfully with Gary Botha and Tom Youngs). At 1.88m tall he wasn’t seen as tall enough to jump at the back of the lineouts.

January 31st, 2014 at 4:54 pm

Aldo, thanks for your candor.

You don’t have to take the Vatican description literally if it will make it go down smoother for ya.

You can just infer from it that for many ( not Aldo obviously ) it can signify a place of great tradition, being close to God, etc & so on….in a word ( or is it two ) :
    Cheetah Field

January 31st, 2014 at 5:54 pm

Got to love the comments. Thanks for the smile a day Americano

15. avatar Cheetah Glory says:
    January 31st, 2014 at 8:19 pm

@DavidS:

On what planet do you live princess. £1 equals R18.55

16. avatar Cheetah Glory says:
    January 31st, 2014 at 8:22 pm

But I get what you guys are saying. The modern player is not only after money but also a life experience. Who knows maybe he was escaping a bad influence in his family. We cannot fault the Bulls without knowing the facts. So many factors at stake.

17. avatar Christo (Vetgesmeerde Blits) says:
    January 31st, 2014 at 8:36 pm

Here is what CJ had to say about leaving:
    “Ek weet ek het baie mense geskok met my besluit om vir Munster te speel, maar ek beskou dit as ‘n goeie skuif vir my loopbaan,” het Stander gese.
    “Ek het my agent hiervan vertel en hy het gesê Munster wil ‘n aanbod maak.

February 1st, 2014 at 2:14 am

The 2013 Bulls Super Rugby campaign ended when Pierre Spies was injured… fact…

February 1st, 2014 at 9:45 am

Bryce, I never get involved in the Spies debate, but to the Bulls he is essential, like you pointed out. And on form he is the best loose forward in SA. He had pace, power, he offloads well, but having said that, he hasnt showed his best for a while now. Hope he returns this year, hungrier than ever

February 1st, 2014 at 9:55 am

@Aldo: You are right Aldo, but don’t know what happen to him over the last couple of years, maybe injury’s plays a bigger mind game than people think.

February 1st, 2014 at 10:35 am

It could be Jacques. I dont know, but I do know I would love for him to regain his 2009 form.

On another note, I see some real idiots voting on the current cricinfo poll. In what universe is South Africa the best ODI team in the world, by a massive margin? Test cricket we are the undoubted best in the world, and have been for a while now, but ODI? No ways, also with Test cricket, we are on fragile ground, just how do you replace Jacques Kallis? Suddenly we know what the rest of the world feels like, when picking a test team. So I am really excited about the Aus tour to SA.

22. avatar Christo (Vetgesmeerde Blits) says:
    February 1st, 2014 at 10:47 am

Hi, I have been trying to post on this aricle for a couple of days, but it keeps saying my posts are awaiting moderation. I didn’t use any swearwords or anything, just a technical problem?

23. avatar Christo (Vetgesmeerde Blits) says:
    February 1st, 2014 at 10:51 am

Well if he was seen as the future he didn’t know about it. I would also have left if I was stuck behind an one dimensional basher like Jaques Potgieter and to a lesser extend Pierre Spies going missing for a few seasons.Cj is a much better player than these two imo.
    Here is what CJ had to say about leaving:
    “Ek het my agent hiervan vertel en hy het gesê Munster wil ‘n aanbod maak.

24. avatar Christo (Vetgesmeerde Blits) says:
    February 1st, 2014 at 10:53 am

Here is what CJ had to say about leaving:
    “Ek het my agent hiervan vertel en hy het gesê Munster wil ‘n aanbod maak.

25. avatar Christo (Vetgesmeerde Blits) says:
    February 1st, 2014 at 10:55 am

@Christo (Vetgesmeerde Blits): It still doesn’t want to post my longer comment.

26. avatar Christo (Vetgesmeerde Blits) says:
    February 1st, 2014 at 11:18 am

@Aldo: like you say, on was potential alone he should have been the best loose forward in the world, I agree with that. Yet he has never been the best, not in South Africa nor in the world. He might have been the best no.8 in SA for a while but Juan Smith, Burger and Alberts have always been better rugby players, lesser athletes but better rugby players. It just proves again that supreme athletic ability certainly does help but won’t make you a great player on its own.

The fact that a Duanne Vermeulen and not Spies received a Bok contract is fair. Spies had more opportunities than any player I can remember in recent history to prove himself and regain form. He simply didn’t use those opportunities this last few seasons, it is as simple as that.

27. avatar Christo (Vetgesmeerde Blits) says:
    February 1st, 2014 at 11:25 am

This is what CJ Stander had to say about leaving:
    “Ek het my agent hiervan vertel en hy het gesê Munster wil ‘n aanbod maak.
    There was also talk that Heyneke wanted CJ to covert to hooker( Like he did very successfully with Gary Botha and Tom Youngs). At 1.88m tall he wasn’t seen as tall enough to jump at the back of the line outs.1.9Om seems to be as low as Heyneke is willing to go.

28. avatar Christo (Vetgesmeerde Blits) says:
    February 1st, 2014 at 11:39 am

Jacques, jammer man, ek word nogsteeds gemoderate. Daar is ‘n post oor CJ waar hy in sy eie woorde se hoekom hy Ierland toe is wat die afgelope 2 dae elke keer terugkom en se die kommertaar wag vir moderation. Ek het die woorde al bietjie geskommel maar dit wil nie deurkom nie. Ek brand om dit te deel, dis van nasionale belang. Ek het nie doos gese nie, ek belowe. Weereens ek wil nie moeite maak nie, maar kyk asb vir my of een van julle pype nie dalk verstop is nie. Dankie by voorbaat.

29. avatar Christo (Vetgesmeerde Blits) says:
    February 1st, 2014 at 11:41 am

February 1st, 2014 at 10:51 am
    Here is what CJ had to say about

30. avatar Christo (Vetgesmeerde Blits) says:
    February 1st, 2014 at 11:42 am

This is what CJ Stander had to say about leaving:
    “Ek het my agent hiervan vertel en hy het gesê Munster wil ‘n aanbod maak.

February 1st, 2014 at 11:44 am

No one’s argueing that he had it shot and lost it Christo. That is why Im hoping the fact that Vermeulen got the contract (deservedly so), inspires him to play better. He has all the attributes to be brilliant, but has failed to impress more often than not.

2009, pre the BI Lions tour, they had special news reels and tv shows, where they discussed the matter of stopping Spies, I watched one episode on BBC. That superrugby season was his last brilliant season, if he doesnt regain that form, he simply doesnt deserve a bok spot. Easy as that, Duanne is the incumbent, to lift him out of the nr8 spot, Spies and any other number 8 in this country, doesnt need to be just as good as Duanne, they need to outplay him. That is just how it works, Duanne has proven his value, same as any other position, the fringe players need to be better than the incumbant, not as good as.

32. avatar Christo (Vetgesmeerde Blits) says:
    February 1st, 2014 at 11:46 am

CJ Standers own words had about leaving:

33. avatar Christo (Vetgesmeerde Blits) says:
    February 1st, 2014 at 11:50 am

Continue:
    Ek het my agent hiervan vertel en hy het gesê Munster wil ‘n aanbod maak.Munster bied hul spelers slegs tweejaar-kontrakte aan. Ek’s nie seker wat my finale besluit gaan wees wanneer my kontrak verstryk nie, maar ek stel belang om vir Ierland te speel as die geleentheid hom voordoen.

34. avatar Christo (Vetgesmeerde Blits) says:
    February 1st, 2014 at 11:52 am

Continue:

35. avatar Christo (Vetgesmeerde Blits) says:
    February 1st, 2014 at 11:56 am

Continue:
    Ek het my agent hiervan vertel en hy het gesê Munster wil ‘n aanbod maak.Munster bied hul spelers slegs tweejaar-kontrakte aan. Ek’s nie seker wat my finale besluit gaan wees wanneer my kontrak verstryk nie, maar ek stel belang om vir Ierland te speel as die geleentheid voordoen.

36. avatar Christo (Vetgesmeerde Blits) says:
    February 1st, 2014 at 11:59 am

Continue:Stander het egter bygevoeg dat die Springbokke altyd sy eerste keuse sal wees, maar hy dink nie dat hy deel is van Heyneke Meyer se huidige planne nie.

37. avatar Christo (Vetgesmeerde Blits) says:
    February 1st, 2014 at 12:03 pm

Continue: There was also talk that Heyneke wanted CJ to covert to hooker( Like he did very successfully with Gary Botha and Tom Youngs). At 1.88m tall he wasn’t seen as tall enough to jump at the back of the line outs.1.9Om seems to be as low as Heyneke is willing to go for a nr 7 or 8.

38. avatar Christo (Vetgesmeerde Blits) says:
    February 1st, 2014 at 12:11 pm

Toemaar Jacques ek het die post in stukkies opgedeel toe kom hy deur.

February 1st, 2014 at 12:49 pm

@Cheetah Glory:

That’s 2014 you moron… CJ left in 2012 or are you actually that short of a memory.

February 1st, 2014 at 12:59 pm

@Jacques(Bunny):

What are you smoking? Your beard? It was SARU that spent the cash in Victor too… your Helium Piet went and squealed at him in a high tched voiuce to please return in 2008.. forgetting of course that Matfield signed a single season contract overseas… jissis are all of you that short on memory????

Holy crap what is this Alzheimers sufferers of the Cape and Ireland Unite???

February 1st, 2014 at 1:00 pm

@Christo (Vetgesmeerde Blits):

ALL SA coaches though…

It was something Jake started… the need to have five lineout players

The success of which can be seen in the fact that the All Blacks have quickly moved to ensure their loosies are tall enough to also be lineout options…

February 1st, 2014 at 1:43 pm

@Christo (Vetgesmeerde Blits):

Keegan Daniels 1.87m… 5 caps under Heyneke Meyer…

Siya Kolisi 1.86m… 18 caps under Heyneke Meyer…

CJ took the easy way out… the above did not…

43. avatar Christo (Vetgesmeerde Blits) says:
    February 1st, 2014 at 1:58 pm

That is true, but I struggle to understand what difference 2 cm will make. Timing, the length of the lifters and explosive power can all easilly make up for a mere 2cm. No players arm length are the same proportion to their height, so a player at 1.88m can easilly have the same reach or more than a 1.92m player.A player with CJ’s potential doesn’t come around often, even with all our talented young loose forwards CJ and Arno stood head and shoulders above the rest(even at 1.88m). Marcell Coetzee and Siya Kolisi are not in the same league than those 2 Bok contacts or not.

February 1st, 2014 at 2:14 pm

@Christo (Vetgesmeerde Blits):

I dare say that a national coach of HM’s calibre with all the info available has a far better understanding of who is where in the rankings than us mere mug-punters…

That said one cannot keep every ‘prospective’ Bok that has yet to prove himself at Super rugby level from moving OS for other ‘fast-tracked’ opportunities…

45. avatar Christo (Vetgesmeerde Blits) says:
    February 1st, 2014 at 2:24 pm

@bryce_in_oz: Of course he has, that doesn’t mean we won’t have different opinions on the matter though.

46. avatar Christo (Vetgesmeerde Blits) says:
    February 1st, 2014 at 2:53 pm

@Aldo: True, mabe this will get him out of his comfort zone. If he regains his form there is no reason why he could not be a Bok again. He is turning 29 this year and his speed and explosive power won’t last forever. Mabe this is his year at last.