Stephen Nell’s new book, Golden Moments in the Modern Era, takes you behind the scenes of Springbok rugby since our return from isolation right through to the Heyneke Meyer era.
Review by Wentzel
He chats to various individuals that had a massive impact in our game like Jake White and why for instance Maruis Joubert, after a magnificent start to his Springbok career in 2004 which included a hat trick against the All Blacks did not make it to the World Cup in 2007. It also touches on the incident where Victor Matfield was sent home from tour with John Smit and Jake White speaking candidly about the impact it had on them as captain and coach.
You also get a behind the scenes look at the politics from administrators, how they backtrack on their decisions, their influence on the game with the hiring and firing of coaches and their involvement and influence with team selections.
This is what Brendan Venter had to say: “Really well written and different. The insider’s view”.
Here are some excerpts of the things you can expect from the book:
- Die Springbokke se sege van 52-10 oor Frankryk in Parys sal vir dekades nog as een van Suid-Afrika se beste oomblikke op die rugbyveld onthou word. STEPHEN NELL herroep die gebeure van daardie spesiale dag in 1997 in sy boek, Bokspronge: Goue Oomblikke in Springbok Rugby
- In Stephen Nell’s book Springbok Glory: Golden Moments in the Modern Era, Jake White speaks candidly about how he anaged Victor Matfield’s strong personality in 2004. And the relationship might never have lasted had it not been for John Smit.
- “Nelson Mandela whispered into my ear just before the final to say that he was very proud of me and that I should continue doing what I did before.He said that the world was watching me.”-Chester Williams
- “You are never going to change Jannie…..But I tell you he can do things that Henry Honiball can’t.He is a fantastic kicker of drop goals”.-Brendan Venter to Nick Mallett
- “Are we going to be like other World Cup teams that go through the motions and don’t achieve anything more? Or are we actually going to shut everyone up by pitching physically and showing that we have the ability to beat the All Blacks?”-Bakkies Botha
- “Flo is the kind of player I want in my team.The harder it get’s, the harder he plays.”-Heyneke Meyer
Springbok Glory is a must for any rugby lover’s collection
Title: Springbok Glory. Golden Moments in the Modern Era.
In Afrikaans: Bokspronge – Goue oomblikke in Springbokrugby
By Stephen Nell
Published by Tafelberg
Illustrated with a 16-page photo section in colour