‘Pathetic’ officials blamed for mass brawl

February 6, 2014

EP Kings

East Province authorities have launched an investigation into a mass brawl in a match played as a curtain-raiser to the Southern Kings-Lions Super Rugby friendly on Saturday.

The fight broke out near the end of the game between the Eastern Province Kings Vodacom Cup team and national Community Cup champions Despatch when Despatch scored a late try to level the scores.

The incident last several minutes and Despatch president Willem Oliphant went onto the field to try to calm his players down.

“What happened at the end was disgusting and I will be taking matters further,” acting Southern Kings coach and Eastern Province Academy manager Robbie Kempson told Business Day. “We have the incident on video.”

But former Springbok prop Kempton said the blame laid with the officials. “I think the referee and his adjudicators were pathetic. I don’t know why they are reffing. There should have been a red card for the punch on 18-year-old Kings player Tyler Paul.”

Oliphant took a different approach and tried to play things down saying there was no need to take things further. “It happened at the end of a good game and players from both sides were involved. These things happen in rugby. At the end there was a good vibe and all the players shook hands.”

© ESPN Sports Media Ltd

February 6th, 2014 at 10:05 am

I saw this once in Brakpan, when Brakpan played some “vuilgat” Mine team. The one player was send off by the ref for punching another player and while the ref gave him the marching orders he moerd the ref lights-out. All players on field and even people from stands came down and moerd mekaar dik.

One of the ugliest things I saw in my life.

2. avatar Methos The French Stormer says:
    February 6th, 2014 at 1:01 pm

The problem is nothing will be done to the clubs that make them guilty of this kind of behaviour.

Some of you might remember that when I still lived and played in SA I wrote quite a few articles about club rugby.

The one club that I complained most about was Strand United. A few months ago I went on WP club rugby’s website – and lo and behold – they are still at it.

Union needs to grow a pair and suspend players – that play the game to box – for life.

Cheers

3. avatar Methos The French Stormer says:
    February 6th, 2014 at 1:05 pm

This is a fight we had last year here in France. My team is the one in the green.

From the kick off.

Cheers

4. avatar Bekke says:
    February 6th, 2014 at 2:24 pm

Seems your team came 2nd…

February 6th, 2014 at 3:35 pm

@Methos The French Stormer: That is just plain ugly

6. avatar Methos The French Stormer says:
    February 6th, 2014 at 3:46 pm

Bekke – We did. But we won the match and qualified for the finals – while they finished last and dropped a level.

I took another knee to the face about 2 minutes later, then a guy knee dropped into my ribs, breaking one and bruising a kidney, which made me pee blood for a few days and then later in the game I was punched in the face after I stole a ball on the ground.

Good times

Cheers

7. avatar Methos The French Stormer says:
    February 6th, 2014 at 4:31 pm

Just for Brand

explaining the forward pass

Cheers

8. avatar Bekke says:
    February 7th, 2014 at 11:16 am

And they are not even Spaniards….