Michael Hooper will now lead the NSW Waratahs for the first time this Saturday after the late withdrawal of Dave Dennis.
Initially expect to by be fit, Dennis has failed to recover from a knee injury sustained in Sunday’s bonus-point win over the Force.
His place in the starting XV will be taken by Stephen Hoiles, with Pat McCutcheon joining the bench.
Invited to train with the squad for the 2014 pre-season, Hoiles was named on the bench for last week’s Force clash and came on for Dennis in the 66th minute. The eight-year stretch between caps (he last played for NSW on May 19, 2006) is bettered by only two other players (Phil Hardcastle 2/5/1938 to 27/7/1946 and Jack Turnbull 12/6/1939 to 24/5/1947), both of whom had their career interrupted by World War II.
Tickets for the match, which kicks off at 7.40pm at ANZ Stadium, are priced from $20 for adults and are available in advance from www.waratahs.com.au. Children aged 12 and under can now enjoy free access to all NSW home matches thanks to our new Free Junior Season Pass available now from www.futuretahs.com.au.
Updated NSW Waratahs team to play Queensland Reds
ANZ Stadium, Sydney
Saturday March 1, 2014 (7.40pm)
1. Benn Robinson (Eastwood)
2. Tatafu Polota Nau (Parramatta)
3. Paddy Ryan (Sydney University)
4. Jacques Potgieter (unattached)
5. Kane Douglas (Southern Districts)
6. Stephen Hoiles (Randwick)
7. Michael Hooper (Manly, captain)
8. Wycliff Palu (Manly)
9. Nick Phipps (Sydney University)
10. Bernard Foley (Sydney University)
11. Peter Betham (Sydney University)
12. Kurtley Beale (Randwick)
13. Adam Ashley-Cooper (Northern Suburbs)
14. Alofa Alofa (West Harbour)
15. Israel Folau (Sydney University)
Replacements to be selected from:
16. Tola Latu (Sydney University)
17. Jeremy Tilse (Sydney University)
18. Sekope Kepu (Randwick)
19. Will Skelton (Sydney University)
20. Pat McCutcheon (Sydney University)
21. Brendan McKibbin (Eastern Suburbs)
22. Rob Horne (Southern Districts)
23. Matt Carraro (Randwick)
24. Jonno Lance (Eastern Suburbs)
Issued by Waratahs Rugby