Unwanted Bulls lock heads to France

June 23, 2014

Paul-Willemse-Bulls-ball

Bulls lock Paul Willemse is heading to France, after being overlooked for Springbok selection.

The Blue Bulls Company (Pty) Ltd confirmed on Monday that Willemse will head abroad at the end of the year.

The 22-year-old player will join French club Grenoble after the Currie Cup competition on a two-year deal.

According to the BBC High Performance Manager, Xander Janse van Rensburg, it is becoming increasingly difficult to hold on to players and to compete with overseas clubs.

He added that with Willemse being overlooked for Bok selection the big cash offer was too good to ignore.

“Paul feels that he is not currently in the mix for Springbok selection and has a number of locks ahead of him in the line-up, so wants to add a different element to his game by playing in the French Top 14,” Janse van Rensburg said.

“Game time in France will see him improve as a player and we can reap the benefits of that upon his return.

“We tried our utmost best to retain the services of Paul,” Janse van Rensburg added.

“It is however very concerning that we are losing players at a younger and younger age to the overseas market.

“In Paul’s case, we are talking about a massive offer to the player and one that is very hard to say no to.

“We certainly cannot blame Paul for accepting such a lucrative offer, but even if we wanted to, we could not match it as this is one of the biggest offers I have seen for a player of his age.”

Willemse plans to return to South Africa in two years’ time to make a bid for the Springboks jersey and could well be back in Bulls colours then.

Source: Rugby365

June 23rd, 2014 at 1:33 pm

I’m told he gets 2000% more in Frogland = R500,00 per month.
    I think a car, flat, etc. goes with that.

June 23rd, 2014 at 2:18 pm

Ok I am 22 years old, did not get a Bok call up in my first year of Super Shit so flook SA Rugby lets make some money…..

June 23rd, 2014 at 2:19 pm

@Jacques(Bunny): Sounds like another Frans Steyn so don’t let the door hit you on your way out….

4. avatar Ollie says:
    June 23rd, 2014 at 2:33 pm

Ok, I’m 22 years old, I have this great opportunity to do what I love abroad for a few years, which will also open more opportunities to. Plus I get paid plenty more than if I stay were I am.

Get on that plane young man.

June 23rd, 2014 at 4:40 pm

I agree Ollie. Jees Bunny, he is going overseas for 2 years and clearly in the article on news24 it says that he then intends to come back a better player. Good for him as a player, good for South African rugby, plus as an added bonus he gets to make some extra money. A lot extra to be honest. And wait a min, aren’t you out of the country, better money and oppertunities? Oh wait, rugby players play for passion only.

Good luck to the young man.

6. avatar Duiwel says:
    June 23rd, 2014 at 4:45 pm

Poor bastard.
    Right move -wrong club.
    Sterkte boet

June 24th, 2014 at 12:50 am

@Aldo: The top teams in Top 14 players play 33 to 34 top class games a season…..

It has been proven that if you want to succeed in top class rugby 30 games is the limit to the top players a year….

Supershit gives you better opportunities and in the eye week in and week out with selectors and Bok coach….

How many players went overseas who was not a Bok before hand and got into the team?

June 24th, 2014 at 7:34 am