Mbonambi to join WP Rugby

July 23, 2014

Highly-rated former SA Schools and SA Under-20 hooker Bongi Mbonambi will join Western Province Rugby at the start of the 2015 season.

Bongi Mbonambi

Bongi Mbonambi

The mobile, yet powerful hooker will move from Pretoria at the conclusion of the 2014 Absa Currie Cup season and will provide valuable front row depth for the DHL Stormers ahead of the 2015 Vodacom Super Rugby competition.

WP Director of Rugby Gert Smal said: “We’re excited at the prospect of Bongi playing his rugby in the Cape from next year onwards.

“We’ve tracked his progress and believe that he can reach his full potential here. At the same time, hooker is a specialist position and you need depth in crucial positions. We are confident that Bongi will push the likes of Tiaan Liebenberg and Scarra Ntubeni for a starting place.”

Mbonambi, 23, is looking forward to furthering his career in the Cape in 2015.

The hooker told www.wprugby.com: “I am looking forward to the next chapter of my career. Not only is Cape Town a beautiful city, but there is also plenty of history and excellence associated with a great union like Western Province.

“I’m not expecting any hand-outs and I know that I have to play my best rugby to nail down a regular place in the DHL Stormers or DHL Western Province teams.

“But that is an exciting prospect for me and why I want to continue to give my all for the Bulls before moving to the Cape ahead of next season.”

Mbonambi, who was born in Bethlehem, weights 102 kilograms and is 1,86 metres tall.

He played for SA Schools in 2009 and represented the SA Under-20 team in the 2011 IRB Junior World Championships in Italy, which saw him play alongside DHL Stormers and DHL Western Province stars Eben Etzebeth, Siya Kolisi and Nizaam Carr

July 23rd, 2014 at 1:27 pm

Although it is looking that the Bulls are making all the important signings again this year, this guy is a great signing for WP Rugby.

He has the pedigree and the ability to grow and hopefully he will get much more play time than what the Bulls gave him under Callie.

2. avatar bchanakira2 says:
    July 23rd, 2014 at 5:37 pm

Exactly . A quality player who if given game time will develop into a world beater. What is seen in Callie ? Stats show he is one of the worst hookers in Super Rugby?

July 23rd, 2014 at 5:49 pm

@bchanakira2: And Yet he was selected for Boks group, don’t understand that reasoning but glad for Mbonambi…

4. avatar bchanakira2 says:
    July 23rd, 2014 at 7:25 pm

I am with you! Victor suggested he be picked. He had a say on selection.

July 23rd, 2014 at 8:22 pm

@bchanakira2: Well good on him just hope WP is a good choice for him….

July 23rd, 2014 at 8:50 pm

@Jacques(Bunny):

This is my primary concern…

WP is a graveyard of other province signings….

7. avatar bchanakira2 says:
    July 23rd, 2014 at 9:48 pm

Maybe he could actually develop there. I feel the Lions been developing well. Joint most dominant front row in sa .

8. avatar Craven says:
    July 24th, 2014 at 6:46 am

I reckon he would have better off at the Lions or Cheetahs (especially if Strauss were to move to the Bulls).

At the Stormers they already have Tiaan Liebenberg and Scarra Ntubeni, while Stephan Coetzee looked good when he started against the Sharks in the Stormers win.

How much actual game time he will get if there are no injuries is not certain.

9. avatar bchanakira2 says:
    July 24th, 2014 at 10:12 am

Its all down to pre season. He needs to hit the ground running. Rate he can crack the 2 jersey.

10. avatar Cheetah Glory says:
    July 24th, 2014 at 2:00 pm

Good lad. Few days ago he came to training at high school and thanked his under 14 and 15 coaches. Sister is also a manic sportswoman! This kid needs gametime!