South Africa’s 2023 World Cup bid has been given the government’s full backing.
According to the Sunday Times, the 2023 World Cup technical committee that was in South Africa over the past week to begin its assessment of the bid was assured by tourism minister Derek Hanekom that the government is behind it.
World Rugby is asking SA Rugby for guarantees of £240-million (about R3.7-billion) to host the event, which Ireland and France are also bidding for.
Sports minister Fikile Mbalula’s ban on SA Rugby bidding for mega rugby events, based on the findings of a 2016 report from the Eminent Persons Group (EPG) on transformation, is still in place. But EPG chairman Willie Basson told the Sunday Times that an updated report had been given to Mbalula.
‘The sports minister now fully supports the World Cup 2023 bid. There isn’t a question mark over that,’ Hanekom said.