Ruggaworld

Rassie Erasmus says his job is on the line against All Blacks

Springboks coach Rassie Erasmus feels this weekend’s Test against New Zealand isn’t just about ending a losing streak but claims his job is on the line too, reports Ultimate Rugby

Erasmus has had a similar start to his time as the Springbok coach to that of Allister Coetzee – who he took over the head coach role from this year.

The former Springbok flanker admitted that the pressure is mounting after back-to-back Rugby Championship losses to the Wallabies and Pumas the past two weeks, making this Saturday’s contest in Wellington more than just another Test.

“Probably just for me to survive it’s very important [that we win]. But that’s totally beside the point, for me to survive,” Erasmus said.

“If we can beat the All Blacks here then everybody will think we have a realistic chance of winning the World Cup next year and if we do really well here people would say there’s growth.

“But if we do really bad here then I will probably not be in the seat for the next couple of matches and somebody else will probably be there.”

Erasmus says the six-year contract he recently signed doesn’t make him invincible.

“If you follow South African rugby, the six-year contract means nothing if you’re not performing. I think it’s more a sense of our leadership saying listen here, think a little bit long-term don’t just think crisis management, get through this week and get through the next week.

“I don’t think like that. I know people will say ‘you must think like that’ but if you think like that then you never will build a squad that will be competitive. The only thing that six-year contract tells me is not to think about next week, think about the World Cup and the 2023 World Cup as well.

“My honest thing that I want to get right is I want to see growth and I want us to be contenders next year. That’s what the whole discussion and what this whole championships is about. By doing that you’re always going to upset supporters, board members and people. But that’s besides the point, as long as this team is growing.”

Full Story via: tvnz

1. avatar

Aldo

September 10, 2018 at 12:07 pm

Bollocks Rassie. Your job is safe as long as you make you KPI’s. You know that as do we. I don’t see us building at all. Maybe I just don’t see the bigger picture, but let’s use Louw as an example. The guy came on for 20 mins. Yes 20 mins, in those 20 I believe he did not make a single tackle. What value does he add? How are building with him there? Just let him go, he was brilliant, but hasn’t been this whole year. Rather play van Staaden, at least he will make a tackle in 20mins and is still young so you could even say you are building.

ReplyReply
  2. DavidS

DavidS

September 10, 2018 at 12:21 pm

@Aldo: And the only KPI anyone of influence is interested in is the number of black players in the side

ReplyReply
  3. Bekke

Bekke

September 10, 2018 at 12:46 pm

@Aldo: Just giving jobs for all his old WP pals. Louw has been consistenly useless. Same with Kolisi.

ReplyReply
  4. avatar

Welshbok die Brandwag

September 10, 2018 at 1:22 pm

The brilliant captaincy of Kolisi in the England series was in fact Duane Vermeulen pulling the guys together, not Kolisi. Make Vermeulen the captain FFS!!

A good start at sorting things out is to get Vermeulen back in the squad ASAP, sort out the ballance of the looses by sacking Kolisi who isn’t a specialist open or blind sider, and get specialists in all the positions and let them settle down.

Top many hybrids floating around brings confusion.

ReplyReply
  5. avatar

bryce_in_oz

September 10, 2018 at 2:51 pm

Rassie would do rather well to just stop yapping…

ReplyReply
  6. avatar

out wide

September 11, 2018 at 1:13 am

Rassie is probably doing a bit of coach-speak here but anyone wanting to fire the man if they lose on Saturday does not understand rugby. The AB’s last lost a test match nearly a year ago when they lost a deadrubber Bledisloe game 23-18 to Aus. Since then they have racked up 5 home wins and 5 away wins and the Boks would have to play out of their skins to beat them away in Wellington on Saturday. I am holding out for home wins v Aus and (maybe) NZ and for the Argies to beat Aus in Oz on Saturday.

ReplyReply
  7. avatar

Americano

September 11, 2018 at 8:44 am

Hello Mr outwide. I love the drama & panache Rassie brings to this tourney.
    IF its not going on out on the field……BRING IT OFF !
    Were Rassie a Tele-Novella star I’d reckon he’d be like this
    Love it & I’m on pins n’ needles hoping he gets through this gauntlet to live another day.

ReplyReply
  8. avatar

out wide

September 11, 2018 at 10:21 am

@Americano: Ha ha – yes, he does bring that bit of the unexpected. Remember his use of the disco lights on top of the stand to send messages out to the team?

ReplyReply
  9. avatar

Aldo

September 11, 2018 at 11:01 am

@out wide: maybe the Boks need that this weekend, because either they don’t have a plan or they don’t understand the plan.

ReplyReply

You must be logged in to post a comment Login