Home Vodacom Super Rugby 2019 Match Report – Sunwolves upset Waratahs at home

Match Report – Sunwolves upset Waratahs at home


The Sunwolves secured only their second away win against the Waratahs on Friday when they beat them 31-29.

It was a massive performances from the Japanese base side when they beat the same team that just a week ago got one over the Crusaders.

It was the same old same old for the Waratahs making just too many handling errors which just turned possession over to the Sunwolves all night.

It was a hard fought win for the Sunwolves but one they deserved at the end.

Both side had a good start testing each other out but it was the Waratahs who got over for the first try of the match when Nick Phipps getting a pass from Hooper who founded space in the Sunwolves defence.

This gave the home side a 7-0 lead first up.

Mistakes on attack with ball in hand has been the Waratahs single biggest problem and it showed when Folau and Hunt combined on a breakout just to loose the ball again.

The Sunwolves enjoyed some ball and territory and were rewarded with a penalty which Parker slotted over to get them on the board.

From a high hit on Phipps the Waratahs get an attacking lineout. With some patients shown with ball in hand the ball gets out wide Beale throwing out a perfect pass to Clark who gets over in the corner.

With the lead of 12-3 the Sunwolves came back with some good work from Hattingh running straight powering over the line for the Sunwolves first try of the match.

The conversion was over by Parker and the lead reduced to only 12-10.

The handling errors started to creep in again for the home side as the Sunwolves looked more and more dangerous on attack.

With a break down the sideline Masirewa is at the end of the Sunwolves second try and the lead for the first time.

The Waratahs did get a penalty over before halftime to make the scoreline 17-15 for the Sunwolves at the break.

The second half got off to a bang for the home side when captain Hooper got over for his try finishing off a good passage of play.

The Sunwolves were next to score with Masirewa going over for his second try of the match in the corner.

Masirewa then got his hat-trick when he went back to back from a pass that went to ground which he picked up and raced to the try line.

With the successful conversion the Sunwolves were leading 31-22. It seems that the Waratahs have lost their way with handling errors again starting to creep into their game.

It was the home side to score next when Beale took a quick tap to score next to the posts.

With the conversion over the Sunwolves lead was reduced to 31-29 with 9 minutes left in the game.

In the end the Sunwolves was good enough to hold out the Waratahs who kept on making mistakes and handing ball over to the Sunwolves.


NSW Waratahs NSW Waratahs  29  31 Sunwolves Sunwolves

Waratahs – Tries: Phipps, Clark, Hooper, Beale. Conversions: Mason (2), Beale. Penalty: Mason.
Sunwolves – Tries: Hattingh, Masirewa (3). Conversions: Parker (4). Penalty: Parker.

Leave Your Comment Here