Home Currie Cup 2019 Currie Cup Match Report – Cheetahs crush Griquas to go top of...

Currie Cup Match Report – Cheetahs crush Griquas to go top of the log

Photo by: JJ Vorster (Speedshots)

Free State swept Griquas off the field on Saturday when they beat them

It was Free State with the early points but both sides were spreading the ball wide with Griquas just not getting the luck of the ball.

Free State took the first points of the match with a try from Junior Pokomela who gave the host a 7-0 lead.

Griquas had their opportunities but was unable to finish off. Free State got a second try came from Henco Venter with Tian Schoeman converting both tries to give them a 14-0 lead.

It was all Free State as they end the half with 28-0 lead scoring two more tries from Joseph Dweba and William Small-Smith.

Schoeman made sure or the conversions and left the Griquas a massive hill to clim in the second half.

Free State started the second half as they ended the first with a great try from their forwards driving over for try number five.

Griquas got their first try with some great backline play to send Eduan Keyter over to reduce the lead to 33-7.

Free State hit back immediately with Swanepoel catching Griquas sleeping with a quick penalty.

Griquas got their second try from a a break deep in their own half when Ederies Arendse sprinted to the line.

This made the lead 40-14 after 60 minutes.

The Cheetahs was just kept the tries coming with Rabz Maxwane getting a high cross kick from Schoeman.

This took the Cheetahs lead to 47-14 with 20 min still to go. From a turnover, William Small-Smith got another try to add to the one he scored in the first half.

Free State was just too good for Griquas and ended up with a massive 68-14.


FS Cheetahs: Tries: Junior Pokomela, Henco Venter, Joseph Dweba (2), William Small-Smith (2), Dries Swanepoel (2), Rabz Maxwane, Louis Fouche Conversions: Tian Schoeman (6), Fouche (3)

Griquas: Tries: Eduan Keyter, Ederies Arendse Conversions: George Whitehead (2)

Leave a comment