Home Cell C Sharks Deysel gets three weeks

Deysel gets three weeks


Sharks flanker Jean Deysel has been suspended for three weeks for stamping on Jordan Taufua in the Sharks 25-30 Super Rugby victory over the Crusaders.


Deysel has been suspended from all forms of rugbyup to and including Saturday 7 June 2014 which means that he can play in the Sharks last two regular season matches and the play offs should the Sharks qualify.

A SANZAR Judicial Hearing accepted a guilty plea from Deysel for contravening Law 10.4 (b) Stamping or trampling after he was issued a red card during a Super Rugby match at the weekend.

The incident occurred during the match between the Crusaders and Sharks at AMI Stadium, Addington in Christchurch on Saturday 17 May 2014. The referee for the match, Rohan Hoffman, issued a red card for the incident which occurred in the 16th minute.

The SANZAR Judicial Hearing held via video conference on Tuesday May 20 2014 at 9pm NZST, 7pm AEST, 11am SAST was heard by Jannie Lubbe SC who was assisted by former professional player, John Langford.

In his finding, Advocate Lubbe ruled the following, “Jean Deysel of the Sharks tackled Jordan Taufua of the Crusaders near the Sharks’ goal line after Taufua illegally held on to the foot of Deysel, preventing him from joining the line of defense.

“In order to free himself, Deysel stamped with his boot on Taufua and made contact with the neck/head area of the player. Taufua sustained a minor injury to his mouth but was able to complete the match and subsequently provided helpful testimony that supported the medical evidence.

“The entry level of the offence was categorised as mid-level which carries a five week suspension after applying section 9.5 of Appendix 1 of the SANZAR Disciplinary Rules; mainly because of the use of a boot in the head/face area of a player in a vulnerable position on the ground.

“Stamping is a serious offence. It is an offence that cannot be tolerated in the game because not only is it totally against the spirit of the game, but it carries an inherent potential danger of serious injury to players, especially when contact is made in the head/face area.

“The period of suspension was reduced to three weeks as a result of compelling mitigating factors which consisted of the following:

The player apologised to his opponent after the match who accepted the apology. Deysel is a senior player with an exceptionally good record over a long career who acts as a leader and performs a mentoring role in the team. He pleaded guilty and showed genuine remorse for his actions.

Having considered the player’s upcoming schedule of matches as required by IRB Regulation 17, I am satisfied that the player was scheduled to play in the KZN Club Rugby competition during the June break for Super Rugby. This means Deysel will miss the Sharks’ two upcoming fixtures, along with a match for his club side on 6 June.

Accordingly, the player is suspended from all forms of rugby up to and including Saturday 7 June 2014.

Source: www.superxv.com


  1. You see this is how the SOBs are…

    They didn’t think when they banned O’Donague and suddenly there is an outcry because we know what’s coming for Deysel and then they realise oops they have to make the “Boors” happy so they give Deysel 3 weeks instead of the six months him and O”Donague deserve or the four weeks that Higginbotham similarly deserves.

    And being the pathetic ESSA mediocrity worshippers we are we just gratefully lap it up because at least Deysel will get to play again…

Comments are closed.