Home FNB Varsity Cup 2019 FNB Varsity Cup Wrap – Maroon machine rolling on

FNB Varsity Cup Wrap – Maroon machine rolling on


Maties are looking set for a playoff spot to defend their title at home in this year’s FNB Varsity Cup.

Here is Round 5 Results:

Past the halfway stages of this years competition, it looks like Maties, Tuks and Shimlas may be in the playoffs with the final spot being a battle between UJ, Pukke and Ikeys.

It was good wins for Maties, Tuks, Shimlas and UJ on the night.

FNB Maties 43 – 15 FNB NWU (Pukke)

Maties has extended their lead on top of the log of this years FNB Varsity Cup log after beating Pukke on Monday night.

At the end it was a comprehensive win which makes them the only unbeaten side in the competition this year.

The defending champions looks set at the moment in retaining their championship and it is going to be difficult for any team to come to Stellenbosch and upset them.

A 43-15 scoreline says it all and that is thanks to a greta performance from their pack of forwards. It was expected to be a tight match but Maties outplayed Pukke from the start.

The game was played at a massive pace and it was HJ Luus who scored the first try for Maties before Edwill van der Merwe got his first of three tries on the night.

He has also claimed the most tries by any person in Varsity Cup history on the night with his hat-trick.

At the break Maties was leading 22-10 with Pukke still in the game but it was Van Der Merwe second try that sink the visitors chances of claiming a victory really.

Dan Jooste also got on the scoreboard to make the lead 43-10 with only a consolation try at the end giving Pukke a better scoreline.

Maties will next face UJ while Pukke will face UCT in Potch.

FNB Maties: 43
 HJ Luus, Edwill van der Merwe (2×7 pointers; 1×5 pointer), Dan Jooste
Conversions: Jordan Chait (3), Reinhardt Fortuin
Penalty: Chait (3)

Tries: Gideon van der Westhuizen; Wian Conradie
Conversions: Schalk Hugo
Penalty: Schalk Hugo

FNB Shimlas 51 – 40 FNB Ikeys

FNB Shimlas got an important win over FNB Ikeys on Monday when they beat them 51-40 in a high scoring match.

Shimlas put huge pressure on Ikeys from the start of the match to open the scoring in the third minute by Cham Zondeki.

Ikeys did answer with the best way possible in a try from Otto to make it 7-all. Shimlas had the better of the territory but too many handling errors and poor set pieces prevented them from scoring any points.

It took Shimlas until the 25th minute to get Ruan Henning over for a five pointer. To add to UCT misery Otto was send of 9 minutes before halftime for illegal play in the rucks.

This is were it all went wrong for UCT. From a great lineout that went to the backs Marnus Boshoff got over for the home side third try of the match.

From the kickoff Shimlas was brutal and scored two seven point tries in the 36 minute by Burger and in the 41st minute by Henning. This gave them a lead of 37-7 at the break.

After the break Shimlas keep dominating play and this time it was Schutte that went over for a 44-7 lead.

Ikeys did not lie down and they started their comeback with Hock scoring his try to reduce the lead to 44-14.

They did not stop there as they kept momentum to get their third try in the 49th minute of the match by Tedder.

With the score at 44-21 Ikeys just kept on coming and got their fourth try by Habutzel which made the lead by Shimlas only 44-28 with 24 minutes still to play.

With their tails up Ikeys kept on attacking and James Tedder went over for his second of the night. This made the lead only 44-35 for the home side and 15 minutes to play.

But it was one stretch to0 far for Ikeys as Boshoff second try stretch the lead again to 51-35.

Ikeys did have the final say in the match to end the game in a win for Shimlas by 51 to 40.

FNB Shimlas: 51
 Cham Zondeki, Ruan Henning (2) Marnus Boshoff (2) Zak Burger, Tiaan Schutte
CONVERSIONS: Lubabalo Dobela (5) 
PENALTIES: Lubabalo Dobela

 Cornelius Otto, Darian Hock, James Tedder(2), Cuan Hablutzel, Gary Porter
CONVERSIONS: Lohan Lubbe (1), Darian Hock (4)
PENALTIES: Lohan Lubbe

FNB Tuks 70 – 12 FNB UWC

UWC saw on Monday night just how high the standard is at Varsity Cup level, when they were demolish by Tuks in Bellville by 70-12.

Tuks scored 10 tries to 1 in what was almost a game of men against boys. .

Frustrating moments for the home side who led the Pretoria side 3-0 for nearly 35 minutes, but six converted tries, three before and after the halftime siren, was always going to be a massive mountain to conquer.

A brace from hooker Johan Grobbelaar, a five-point try via nippy scrumhalf Theo Maree and three perfect attempts at goal courtesy of the boot of Tinus de Beer helped FNB Tuks take an impressive 3-21 lead as the players headed into the paddocks for the halftime break.

It was, however, the home side who applied the early pressure and made life very difficult for the 2017 FNB Varsity Cup champions. FNB UWC drew first blood after they were awarded a penalty, Keagan Fortune slotting his attempt with ease, 3-0.

This penalty somehow inspired the Bushies leading to a series of confident attacks from the Bellville side. FNB Tuks were called on to make most of the tackles for most of the opening half, albeit not many missed tackles were seen.

The Fortune penalty separated the two sides as the first strategy break approached. The home side were clinical on defence. The midfield combination of Lubelo Scott and Lyle Hendricks found good rhythm and put a few massive hits much to the delight of the near-capacity UWC Sports Stadium.

The 2017 FNB Varsity Cup champions finally got their first points of the match in the 35th minute when slippery scrumhalf Maree snipped around a five-metre scrum. Maree caught the FNB UWC defense off-guard for his side’s first try. Tinus de Beer made no mistake when adding the extras, 3-7.

Hooker Johan Grobbelaar collected the ball at the back of a rolling maul as FNB Tuks outmuscled FNB UWC for their second try of the match. De Beer added the extras. Grobbelaar completed his brace deep into first half injury time, the FNB Tuks pivot making it three from three attempts to hand the visitors a substantial 3-21 lead at halftime.

It was as if FNB Tuks took a page out of their own book. The visiting side started matters exactly how they left it in the first half. The visitors came out firing on all cylinders, again scoring three converted tries within 10 minutes. Stephan Smit got the first try almost immediately after the half time break. Captain Marius Verwey also getting on the scoresheet. De Beer converted all three scores handing FNB Tuks a commanding 3-42 lead.

Sensational FNB UWC speedster, Tristan Leyds, got the home side’s first try. A seven-point try that caused the crowd to erupt as Leyds dove across the whitewash, Fortune converted, 12-42. This play also secured him the Steers Kinging Moment of the match.

Alas, the writing was on the wall for the home side. To come back from six converted tries on either side of the half time break, is a big ask even for the highly motivated and spirited FNB UWC side.

A further four tries, all converted by the educated boot of De Beer, handed the visitors an emphatic 12-70 victory.F

 Tristan Leyds (7-point try)
Con: Keagan Fortune
Pen: Keagan Fortune

FNB Tuks: 70
 Theo Maree, Johan Grobbelaar, Johan Grobbelaar, Stephan Smit, Marius Verwey,  Ruan Nortje, Ciaran Dayara, Irvin Ali, Hanru Sirgel, Jacobus Eloff
Cons: Tinus de Beer (10)

FNB UJ 39 – 17 FNB Wits

FNB UJ finally registered their first win of the 2019 Varsity Cup in a spirited and entertaining Gauteng Derby as they claimed the bragging rights over FNB Wits.

The much anticipated Johannesburg derby was certainly worth the hype as FNB UJ and FNB Wits locked horns at the UJ Stadium on Monday afternoon in an epic game of rugby. The home side stunned the away side in the opening three minutes as fullback Odwa Nkunjana scored for the Orange Army after some beautiful hands from the backline, Mashudu Raphunga scored the conversion and the score was 7-0.

FNB UJ were playing like a house on fire when winger Shaun William intercepted a misplaced passed and ran almost the whole length of the pitch to give FNB UJ a 14-0 lead with a seven-point try. FNB UJ were playing some dazzling rugby and were unarguably putting on their best performance of the season. Mashudu Raphunga added three points with the boot and FNB UJ were running away with it.

The halftime break saw FNB UJ lead 17-0. The second half was played at a blistering pace as FNB UJ were looking to add more points, while FNB Wits were chasing. It was the former that got the first points of the half, courtesy of the left boot of flyhalf Mashudu Raphunga FNB Wits finally got their first points of the game as centre Adrian Van Blerk scored and the conversion was slotted by replacement flyhalf Ruan Cloete.

The game was perfectly poised for a comeback for FNB Wits at 20-7, and boy was it on. FNB Wits winger Kasende Kapepula scored FNB Wits’ second try and the conversion was converted and FNB Wits were within four points as with the score at 20-16. The entertainment on the pitch was as entertaining as off the pitch, as the FNB UJ crowd played their part in an electric atmosphere

Odwa Nkunjana got his brace when he scored and almost sealed the game with five minutes to play. Evergreen Mashudu Raphunga made sure with his conversion and it was 30-16 and you could almost feel the whole stadium breathe a sigh of relief. FNB UJ captain Adrian Bester put the game to bed and scored a magnificent seven-point try, of course Raphunga made sure with the conversion and the final score was 39-16 to FNB UJ.

FNB UJ: 39

Tries: Odwa Nkunjana (2), Shaun Williams (seven-pointer), Adrian Bester
Cons: Mashudu Raphunga (3)
Pens: Mashudu Raphunga (3)

FNB Wits: 16
Tries: Adrian Van Blerk. Kasende Kapepula (seven-pointer)
Cons: Ruan Cloete (2)