Home Guinness Pro 14 News Glasgow saw off Munster and Ulster sneak pass Edinburgh

Glasgow saw off Munster and Ulster sneak pass Edinburgh


Glasgow convincingly saw off Munster and Ulster claimed a last-gasp victory over Edinburgh on a second thrilling Friday night of the PRO14 season.

Glasgow 25-10 Munster

It was a game of two halves at Scotstoun Stadium as Glasgow saw off Munster 25-10, having led 22-0 at half-time.

The match got off to a cagey start before the hosts got themselves on the board through a Pete Horne penalty 14 minutes in after Munster strayed offside.

Glasgow continued to pile on the pressure, scoring the first try of the game eight minutes later. Adam Hastings’ floated pass led to Callum Gibbins diving over in the corner.

Hastings was the catalyst once more as the Scottish side went over 28 minutes in. His grubber kick was pounced upon by Stuart Hogg for the hosts’ second try.

However, Munster had only themselves to blame for the next one. JJ Hanrahan spilled the ball on his own try-line, allowing Adam Ashe to pounce on it and score.

Munster came out stronger after the break, showing glimpses of the form which saw them breeze past the Cheetahs in their opening fixture. Hanrahan put them on the board with a penalty early on in the second half before Rhys Marshall finally scored their first try 69 minutes into the game.

Nevertheless, it was too little, too late for Munster, who were frustrated by a solid Glasgow defence even when the hosts were consistently under pressure in the second half. A Stuart Hogg penalty capped off a deserved victory.

The scorers:

For Glasgow:
Tries: Gibbins, Hogg, Ashe
Cons: Hogg 2
Pens: Hogg, Horne

For Munster:
Try: Marshall
Con: J Carbery
Pen: J Hanrahan

Ulster 30-29 Edinburgh

Ulster overturned a 16-6 half-time deficit to beat Edinburgh 30-29 at Kingspan Stadium.

The visitors got on the board first through two Simon Hickey penalties before Henry Pyrgos’ looped pass set Tom Brown up for the first try of the game 14 minutes in.

The Belfast-based side improved as the half progressed and were unlucky to go into the break without a try to their name. TMO Olly Hodges found that Jordi Murphy was forced into touch just short of the try-line shortly before half-time.

In the second half, though, things seemed to be going from bad to worse for Ulster. James Johnstone scored Edinburgh’s second try 46 minutes into the game, which was converted by Hickey.

However, the resurgence started seven minutes later, when Will Addison went over for Ulster’s first try following a sustained spell of pressure.

The hosts never looked back from there, as John Cooney scored on 60 minutes and Craig Gilroy just seven minutes later to set up a thrilling finale.

A late Hickey penalty looked to have sealed the game for Edinburgh, but there was to be one final twist as Cooney slotted one of his own over with the last kick of the game to snatch victory from the jaws of defeat.

The scorers:

For Ulster:
Tries: Cooney, Gilroy, Addison
Cons: Cooney 3
Pens: Cooney 3

For Edinburgh:
Tries: Brown, Johnstone
Cons: Hickey 2
Pens: Hickey 5

Source: Planet Rugby

Leave a comment