Home European rugby Match Report – Van der Merwe late try steal win in Paris

Match Report – Van der Merwe late try steal win in Paris


Nobody expected such a close game but Scotland came to Paris to play rugby and win the game and they did just that even if it was in injury time.

It was a final try from Van der Merwe that did it for Scotland to give them a 27-23 win which also handed the Six Nations to Wales.

It was all France in the opening exchanges of the test match with France not just good on attack but also on defence pushing the Scots back all the time.

Both teams tested the kicking game in the wet weather and it was France that took advantage better to setup the first scoring opportunity with a penalty to take an early lead.

Scotland worked there way into the French twenty two and kept them pinned down there. After a few attempts from the maul it was finally Van der Merwe who joined the forwards for the first try of the match.

This gave the visitors a 7-3 lead.

The French were doing some storage things under pressure in their own twenty-two which just gave Scotland three points on a platter to extend the lead to 10-3.

Scotland had a real good period midway through the first half with all the ball and when the French did get the ball they were knocked back by some very good defence.

France scrum started to work again and got a penalty to reduce the lead to 10-6.

France kept the Scots pinned for the next ten minutes in their twenty two and after a lot of penalties and scrums taken by he French they finally got over with Brice Dulin.

This gave France the lead 13-10.

Just before halftime Scotland still kept keeping penalties away every time France got into Scotland half of the field and the referee had enough and send Hogg off with a yellow card.

The teams went into the break with the host leading 13-10.

France was again all over Scotland in the second half with the extra man and it was some brilliant hands and the skills of Penaud which scored France second try of the match.

The conversion was not over so the lead extended to 18-10.

Scotland got Hogg back onto the field after his sin bin and had another good period in the French half which they forced a penalty. That reduced the lead to only 18-13.

Scotland took the lead after camping on the French line and got a few mauls going before David Cherry got over.

This gave Scotland a 20-18 lead.

The lead did not last long as France hit back immediately with Rebbadj crashing over the line.

The game was turned on his head with a fore-arm by Russel which saw him send off with a red card. Minutes latter France Baptiste Serin got a yellow which made it 14 against 14.

By this time it was all over form France to get the 21 points to take the trophy but the win for the test was still up fro grabs.

With the clock in the red France decided to run a turnover in their own twenty two and gave a penalty. Scotland was happy to kick for the line and after offload to offload and drive on drive for the line, the Scots finally got the ball wide to Van der Merwe to score in the corner and steal the game from France.

This was one brilliant test match and one that will hunt the French for months to come.


France: Tries – Brice Dulin, Damian Penaud, Swan Rebbadj Conversions – Romain Ntamack Penalties – Romain Ntamack

Scotland: Tries – Duhan van der Merwe(2), David Cherry, Duhan van der Merwe Conversions – Finn Russell(2), Adam Hastings Penalties – Finn Russell(2)

0 0 votes
Article Rating

Leave a Reply

Inline Feedbacks
View all comments