Home European rugby URC – Massive second half give Bulls first win in competition

URC – Massive second half give Bulls first win in competition


We had to wait four weeks but finally the Bulls put together a perfect second half to come back from 16-3 and take their first win in the Untied Rugby Championship against Cardiff Blues, 29-19.

As poor they were in the first half the Bulls turned it around in the second 40 minutes to blow the home side away. Cardiff started well having most of the ball and control things as the Bulls struggled to get into the game.

It was Priestland that opened the scoring with a penalty six minutes into the game to take an early lead. A minute later the host were reduced to 14 players when Seb Davies was send to the bin for a no-arms tackle but that did not stop them to extend their lead minutes later with another Priestland penalty.

The home side kept dominating with ball in hand and put the Bulls under huge pressure which eventually broke their defence down when Matthew Screech got over for the first try of the match. That gave them a 13-0 lead after 19 minutes.

It took the Bulls 26 minutes to get their first points on the board with Chris Smith kicking a penalty over, but Priestland knocked over another penalty to take the teams to halftime with Cardiff leading 16-3.

Don’t know what Jake White put in the Bulls oranges at halftime but they came out in the second half a different team taking control of the match form the start. They got the reward in the 43 minutes when Elrigh Louw got over from a tap-and-go to reduce the lead to 16-10.

With the Bulls doing all the work in the second half they got the rewards from the referee as well and with another penalty Smith made it a 3 point game.

Cardiff had some opportunities but some really direct defence from the Bulls stopped them every time in their tracks. Madosh Tambwe got over for his try after a mistake from Cardiff on attack and a loose ball being kicked forward saw the winger outspent the defence to score.

That gave the Bulls the lead for the first time in the match, 20-16.

With 19 minutes still to go it was by no means over for Cardiff and they did had some ball in hand but struggled to get the momentum they had in the first half.

It was Chris Smith that extended the Bulls lead to 23-16 in the 64 minutes as they kept the home side pinned in their own half. He did the same six minutes later taking the Bulls lead to 26-16 with 9 minutes to go.

Priestland did manage to get them back in it with seven minutes to go through a penalty but another penalty from Smith four minutes from time sealed the win for the Bulls.


Cardiff: Tries – Matthew Screech Conversions – Rhys Priestland Penalties – Rhys Priestland(4)

Bulls: Tries – Elrigh Louw, Madosh Tambwe Conversions – Chris Smith(2) Penalties – Chris Smith(5)



0 0 votes
Article Rating

Leave a Reply

Inline Feedbacks
View all comments