Home End of Year Tour Autumn Internationals – Springboks leave it late to take first win since...

Autumn Internationals – Springboks leave it late to take first win since 2013 in Cardiff


It was a hard as we expected with the Springboks having to come back at Wales from the start to finish but a try from Marx saw them take the lead for the first time in the match with minutes to go. It was a poor first half from the Springboks with some dodgy decisions by the officials but at the end the Springboks took the win 23-18.

It was a great start form both sides keeping the ball in the air seeing how will make the first mistakes early on, with both side defences holding on. The Springboks gave away two penalties which resulted in Wales getting into their half with ball in hand.

The Springboks defence was tested early on but they held their ground and kept knocking the Welsh back. With two penalties by the Springboks conceded, Wales was able to get in the Springboks half which resulted again in a penalty which Biggar had no problem to kick the first points in the match.

Pollard even things up straight away but then it was again the Springboks being penalised for hands on the ground before going for the steal which Biggar knocked over again. That gave Wales a 6-3 lead.

As early Pollard even things up again after Wales was penalised again in their own half to even the scoreboard again after a massive scrum. Penalties was coming form all directions and made it a bit of a stop-start match early on.

The rest of the half was difficult to watch as the players gave away too many silly penalties which resulted in Ox Nché and Carre for Wales getting yellow cards. Biggar slotted two more penalties in the half with Pollard only one more to make the score 12-9 at the break.

The Springboks would have been frustrated with the referee not picking up that Wales going for the players in the lineout before the jumper is going to the ground. It was really poor referee in that first half.

The second half saw the same plan implemented by both teams with kicking for territory which led to mistakes under the high ball.

The Springboks played themselves beautifully into the Welsh half with clever play but Pollard and Am but after multiple phases Wales managed to steal the ball in the tackle to get out of their half and force a penalty which Biggar slotted over again.

The penalty festival continue with Pollard and slotting one and Frans Steyn with a massive one from his own half to even thing up again at 15-all.

It took not long for Biggar to get extend the lead again for Wales to 18-15 after the Boks was on attack just to get the ball stripped on the Welsh line to get a penalty on the other side of the field.

Then came some more controversy which saw a great try from Mapimpi overturned after the TMO decided that the Springboks forwards was infant of the kicker although they had no influence in the play after as Etzebeth got the ball from the Welsh mistake to offload to Mapimpi.

That gave Wales a penalty which they kicked for the line but gave the ball away which the Springboks pack just worked their way back to the Welsh twenty two. With a lineout close to the Welsh line Vermeulen told the ref to look at the drive in the jumper and this time the Springboks had the perfect drive to send Marx over.

That gave them a 20-18 lead with 2 minutes to go.

Wales tried to get back in the Boks half but penalties against them saw them back in their own half and defending another maul close to their line. They manage to do that but kept the Welsh in their half and in the final moment got a penalty which Jantjis knocked over for their first win in Cardiff since 2013.

Next up…….Scotland


Wales: Penalties – Dan Biggar(5)

Springboks: Tries – Malcolm Marx Penalties – Handré Pollard(4), Frans Steyn, Elton Jantjies

0 0 votes
Article Rating

Leave a Reply

Inline Feedbacks
View all comments