It was a crazy day of rugby for South African supporters with the Boks beating the All Blacks in New Zealand, Argentina beating the Aussies in Australia and Province running riot at Emirates Airline Park against the Golden Lions and Griquas putting 50 past Free State in Kimberley.

Province win the match in the first minute when Leyds went over for what would be a the first of nine tries against the Lions. Beating the Golden Lions at Emirates Airline Park is no easy task and a lot of credit to Dobson using his revolving replacements well in the match.

The Lions did score five tries of their own but was no match for Province on the day.

Soon after, Marais extended the lead to 10-0 with a penalty with the visitors having definitely started the brighter. However, the Golden Lions hit back five minutes later, James Venter crashing over after a brilliant barnstorming run by Lions hooker Corne Fourie in the build up as Reynolds slotted the conversion.

Marais’ 12th minute penalty made it 13-7 before a brilliant give-and-go between Leyds and Sergeal Petersen ensured the former went over for his first and his side’s second as Marais added the extras for a 20-7 lead with a quarter of an hour gone.

Province were beginning to turn on the style and scored two tries in quick succession when Petersen intercepted Lionel Mapoe’s pass to run away for the score and then Josh Stander finished off a move started with a brilliant break from replacement scrum-half Paul de Wet.

Five minutes before the interval, Marais got himself on the try column when he was on the receiving end of a well-judged Stander cross-field kick as the visitors took a 39-10 lead in to the interval.

The hosts bossed the beginning of the second half and were awarded a penalty try after Province number seven Ernst van Rhyn was yellow-carded for cynically bringing down the lineout driving maul.

But despite their numerical disadvantage, the visitors immediately hit back with two tries. After good go forward ball from the scrum, they went to the blindside as Augustus went over with the pick and go. Then, JD Schickerling powered himself over.

However, it was now the Lions’chance to score two quickfire tries. First, replacement hooker Pieter Jansen went over followed by Hajcivah Dayimani going top of the Currie Cup try-scorers’ list with his 67th minute score making it 51-31.

Eight minutes from full-time, Petersen got in on the act with his side’s eighth score of the afternoon, before Dan du Plessis rubbed salt in the wounds three minutes later after good work in the build up by Leyds.

But it was Golden Lions’ flank Len Massyn who had the last laugh when he dotted down seconds before the hooter but it was a mere consolation as the home side succumbed to a disappointing 65-38 victory in the end.

The scorers:

For Golden Lions:
Tries: Venter, Penalty Try, Jansen, Dayimani, Massyn
Cons: Reynolds 4
Pen: Reynolds

For Western Province:
Tries: Leyds 2, Petersen 2, Stander, Marais, Augustus, Schickerling, Du Plessis
Cons: Marais 6
Pens: Marais 2
Yellow Card: Van Rhyn


The Griquas claimed a 52-24 come-from-behind victory over the Free State Cheetahs in a game of two halves in Kimberley on Saturday evening.

The Cheetahs actually led by ten points at half-time, only to lose by a convincing margin in the end after a superb fightback from the home side in the second half.

Tries from Ederies Arendse, Enver Brandt, AJ le Roux, Kyle Steyn, Zach Burger and a FP Pelser brace proved too much for the visitors who scored through Ali Mgijima and a Carel-Jan Coetzee double.

The Free State Cheetahs scored first. After prop Johan Kotze did well to effect the turnover by ripping the ball in the tackle, the ball was spread wide though the hands where Mgijima was on hand to produce a good finish in the corner as the Griquas rush defence was exposed.

Soon after, the Griquas responded with a superb team try with Arendse running an excellent line to go in under the posts, the conversion levelling matters at 7-7.

For the next ten minutes, it was the Cronje show, the Cheetahs outside centre bagging a brace in that period. Credit must go to his centre partner Tertius Kruger for breaking brilliantly to set up the second as the visitors took a 21-7 lead with 20 minutes gone.

The away side held on to that lead until two minutes before half-time when Griquas replacement lock Pelser cut the deficit to ten, powering over from close range.

After the interval, the momentum stayed with the home side as they came storming back in to the game with two tries in the opening ten minutes to make it 21-24. First, Pelser grabbed his brace with another powerful close-range finish after a scintillating break from Brandt down the left flank.

Then, the comeback was complete when Reinach Venter was made to pay for his sloppy pass close to his try-line as Brandt pounced to intercept and dot down for the 28-24 lead.

With a quarter of the game to go, Griquas replacement hooker would crash over for his side”s fifth before a George Whitehead penalty ten minutes later seemed to put the nail in the coffin as it meant the visitors needed to score more than two converted tries.

By the end of the match, the nail was well and truly in the coffin as Steyn and replacement scrum-half Burger added late tries to seal the victory 52-24.

The scorers:

For Griquas:
Tries: Arendse, Pelser 2, Brandt, Le Roux, Steyn, Burger
Cons: Whitehead 7
Pen: Whitehead

For Free State Cheetahs:
Tries: Mgijima, Coetzee 2
Cons: Stapelberg 3
Pen: Stapelberg

Friday Nights Currie Cup Match

Blue Bulls put Pumas away at Loftus



Facebook Comments