Home Reds v Waratahs

    Reds v Waratahs



    It was a huge statement the Reds send out in their round 1 match against the Waratahs on Friday, beating them 41-7.

    A team that has been on the rise for the last couple of season and really showing that they has what it takes to get something in the trophy cabinet this time around.

    This was the biggest win over the Waratahs for the Reds and one has a feeling this is only the start for the men in red.

    Last year they had to settle for second place and one can be sure that they will press hard to lift the trophy this season.

    The Reds got three first half tries to race to a lead.

    What was impressive form the Reds side was that in only the first game of the season it was a pretty impressive performance.

    The Waratahs was first on the board with Gordon sending the ball out wide with Maddocks offloading in the tackle to Gordon coming around to score in the corner.

    The Reds however hit back  immediately with O’Conner slotting a penalty over. It took not long after that for the Reds to get their first try of the match attacking form their own half with the ball going to backs that saw Campbell go over.

    This gave the Reds the lead in the match.

    Within minutes the Reds was behind the Tahs try line again, pilling on the pressure with Mafi showing his strength to go over.

    With the Reds now in control of the game the third try was always going to come. Paisami created the space for Daugunu to get over for his try.

    Being down 7-0 at the start of the match the Reds quickly jumped to a 24-7 lead in no time.

    A penalty extended their lead. The Waratahs then loss Perese with a red card for a dangerous tip tackle. All due respect to the Tahs the game was over before the incident.

    With 14-men it was hard for the the Tahs but a change to the rules in this competition the red-card player was allowed to be replaced after 20 minutes.

    The Tahs must be given credit for not giving away any points while they waited for Perese replacement.

    The second half was a much tighter affair. Although the Tahs defence was much better in the second half they just could not make any difference on the scoreboard.

    The Reds finally got their bonus point try nine minutes before the end with Sorovi braking free from the scrum with a prefect offload to Daugunu who went over for his second try of the match.

    Droasese got the final try for the Reds to give them an impressive win against the Waratahs.


    Reds: Tries: Jack Campbell, Alex Mafi, Filipo Daugunu (2), Ilaisa Droasese. Conversions: James O’Connor (5). Penalties: James O’Connor (2).

    Waratahs  Tries: Jake Gordon. Conversions: Will Harrison.

    Red cards: Izaia Perese.


    Date Time Season Full Time
    Feb 19, 2021 10:45 am SUPER RUGBY AU 2021 90'