Home European rugby PRO14 Saturday Wrap – It was wins for Munster, Connacht and Ospreys

PRO14 Saturday Wrap – It was wins for Munster, Connacht and Ospreys


There was three more matches in the opening round of the 2020/2021 PRO14 season on Saturday which saw wins for Munster, Connacht and Ospreys.

Munster managed a great fightback with 14-men to beat Scarlets on Saturday.

It was a massive effort from Munster after their captain Peter O’Manony was send off while trailing 27-17 after he got a second yellow card.

They eventually won the game 30-27 with Healy slotting a 50 meter penalty to win the game.

Leigh Halfpenny kicked nine penalties and looked good for the win but they did not take advantage of the extra man in the final minutes of the match.

Both teams struggled to get going in damp conditions and it took 17 minutes before Halfpenny kicked his first penalty over.

Jonathan Davies showed his class for Scarlets and was a welcome return.

Halfpenny kept the his boot ticking over the scoreboard and extended their lead with another penalty. It was here when O’Mahony got his first yellow card for a no-arms tackle.

That made the score 9-0 with another Halfpenny penalty but Munster hit back with the first try of the match by O’Donoghue.

With Munster giving away penalties, Halfpenny was too happy to turned them into points and gave his side a 12-7 lead at the break.
Halfpenny kept punishing Munster with penalties and he extended the lead six minutes after the break.
That extended with a few more penalties by Halfpenny to take their lead to 24-10

Munster got back into the game when Farrell got over for Munster second try of the afternoon. The game was then turned on its head when O’Mahony was shown a second yellow card for a no-arm tackle.

Another penalty by Halfpenny looked like it sealed the match for Scarlets but another twist was on the cards.

First Healy kicked a penalty over to bring Munster within a converted try the level things up and that try came when O’Byrne finished off a rolling maul.

That even things up on the scoreboard after Healy added the extra two points. He was also the  man that step up with no time on the clock to kick a massive 50 meter penalty to take the win.


Scarlets: Penalties – Halfpenny(9)

Munster: Tries – O’Donoghue, Farrell, O’Byrne Conversions – Hanrahan, Healy(2) Penalties – Hanrahan, Healy(2)

Bundee Aki sealed a 28-24 win for Connacht over Glasgow on Saturday scoring two tries in the match.

Glasgow only led 7-3 at the break with the game opening up in the second half and it was Aki that got his first ten minutes after the break.

Roux added a second try for the home side before Aki finished a great team move to add their third of the match.

For Glasgow, Nick Grigg, Huw Jones and Tommy Seymour all scored tries.

The home side made a lively start to the match and scored the first points through a Carty penalty
Glasgow scored their try when Hastings stepped inside and passed to Grigg to go over just before halftime.
Hastings added a penalty early in the second half but the home side hit back with Farrell getting through the Warriors and offload to Aki who powered over.

With the scores at 10-10 it was Roux that got over but Glasgow hit back immediately with Jones getting over for his try.

Carty put Connacht back in the lead with a penalty before Aki scored another.

Glasgow hit back again when Seymour got over for his try but a Carty penlaty added three points and cemented the win for the home side.


Connacht: Tries – Aki(2), Roux Conversions – Carty(2) Penalties – Carty(3)

Glasgow: Tries – Grigg, Jones, Seymour Conversions – Hastings(3) Penalties – Hastings

Ospreys got off to a perfect start on Saturday when they beat Edinburgh 25-10 thanks to two tries by Mat Protheroe.

Ospreys controlled the match as Edinburgh had no answer really.

Ospreys had plenty of possession in the beginning of the game but both teams struggled at first to get out of their own half with challenging conditions.

Edinburgh made the first move when Farndale got through a gab to offload to Dean, he passed bak to Bennett which was deliberately knockdown by Tipuric who was send to the bin.

That resulted in referee Brace awarding a penalty try for Edinburgh.

Minutes later Edinburgh, Gilchrist was also shown a yellow card for dangerous play which left us with 14 against 14.

Ospreys took the control and it was Smith who got over for their first try which made it 7-7 after 17 minutes. Ospreys took the lead from a long-range penalty by Myler.

It was just before halftime that Protheroe opened his account for his new club after brilliant work by Webb and Williams in the lead up.

Myler made no mistake with the conversion and that gave Ospreys a 13 point lead. Edinburgh got a penalty over just before halftime to make the score 20-10 in favor of Ospreys as the teams head to change rooms.

Ospreys started the second half well and it was that man Protheroe again that extended their lead with his second try of the match.

Edinburgh had no answer in the second half as Ospreys took the win to open the new season on the right note.


Edinburgh: Tries – Penalty Try, Penalties – van der Walt

Ospreys: Tries – Smith, Protheroe(2) Conversions – Myler(2) Penalties – Myler(2)

0 0 votes
Article Rating
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments