Home Super Rugby Super Rugby AU Round 2 Wrap – Waratahs get their first win

Super Rugby AU Round 2 Wrap – Waratahs get their first win


Tow more games this past weekend saw the Waratahs get their first win of the competition on Sunday and the Rebels and Reds playing to a draw on Friday.

Rebels Rebels 18
 18 Reds Reds

The Rebels and Reds payed to a 18-all draw on Friday. Even the first-ever golden point failed to separate the two teams.

It was Toomua that opened the scoring and put the Rebels in the lead with a penalty early in the game.

Both teams struggled to get points on the board as mistakes was at the order of the day. The next points only came after the hooter with the Rebels that extended their lead to 6-0 at the break.

We saw the fist try in the second half when the Reds worked the ball around the 5 meter line of the Rebels to send Daugunu over for their first try.

With the conversion missed the Rebels were still in the lead with one point, 6-5.

The Reds took the lead with a penalty before Reece Hodge went over for the Rebels to take his team back in the lead with 11-8. They extended their lead when Bill Meakes found himself in line with a Reds pass to dive over for their second try.

This gave the Rebels a 18-8 lead with 13 minutes to go.

Discipline started to cost the Rebels. A penalty kick from the Reds reduced the lead to 18-9 with minutes to go.

The Reds Alex Mafi took the game to Super Time when he got the ball from Feauai-Sautia to level the scores at 18-all.

But even after the extra time neither teams could get any other points which ended the game in a draw.


Rebels: Tries: Hodge, Meakes Conversions: To’omua Penalties: To’omua 2

Reds: Tries: Daugunu. Mafi Conversions: O’Connor
Penalties: O’Connor 2

NSW Waratahs NSW Waratahs 23
Western Force Western Force

The Waratahs got their win off the Super Rugby AU when they came from behind to beat the Force on Saturday 23-14 in Sydney.

In their first game back in Super Rugby the Force were all over the Waratahs in the first half getting to a lead off 14-0. It took the Waratahs almost 40 minutes to get their first points and start the fight back.

It was a mistake-ridden first half for the Tahs with teh Force taking full advantage from ball in hand.

The fist try came after Henry Stowers broke down the right and passed to Ralston to finish out wide to get over for the the try.

With a few penalties they Force build a nice lead off 14 points.

The Waratahs started to show better composer and were rewarded when Bell got over for a try.

The Waratahs kept their momentum in the second half as they tested the Force defence early on and had to settle for a penalty which Harrison kicked over.

The Force struggled on attack in the second half. The Tahs got another try from Staniforth which gave the host the lead in the game.

A few more penalties saw the Waratahs take the win 23-14.


Waratahs: Tries: Angus Bell, Tom Staniforth Conversions: Will Harrison (2) Penalties: Will Harrison (3)

Force: Tries: Byron Ralston Conversions: Penalties: Ian Prior (3)

0 0 vote
Article Rating
Notify of
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments