Home SANZAAR RUGBY NEWS Super Rugby AU Round 8 Warp – Reds keep winning record as...

Super Rugby AU Round 8 Warp – Reds keep winning record as Force steal it against Rebels


What a great weekend of Aussie Rugby in Round 8 of this season Super Rugby AU we saw.

The Reds gave a clear signal that they are here to win the competition this year in coming back against the Brumbies on Saturday to keep their winning record.

On Friday the Force surprised the Rebels in beating them with a last gasp try and moved up to one point behind the Rebels on the log.

Here is the current standings after Round 8 matches:

Super Rugby AU


The Force did it again on Friday when they beat the Rebels in their Round 8 of Super Rugby AU

It was always going to be a close one as their first round match and this time the Force have turned the table on the Rebels beating them 16-15.

Although the Rebels dominated territory and possession they just did not had the finish to put the Force away who stayed in the game.

The Rebels will know that they threw this one away with so many opportunities which was just not taken.

One must credit the Force for their defence and keeping the Rebels out and forcing them into mistakes. I am a great believer that defence still wins matches and the Force proof this again on Friday.

At the end the Force grabbed the opportunity even if it was late to score the winning try.

The Rebels will have to learn to convert all the possession and territory into tries if they want to compete with the two top sides.

It seems they have all the ability but to go through 80 minutes without even scoring one try with so much possession just does not make sense.

This win leaves the Rebels with just one point ahead of the Force on the log for third place.


Rebels: Penalties: Reece Hodge, Matt Toomua (4).

Western Force: Tries: Tim Anstee. Conversions: Domingo Miotti. Penalties: Domingo Miotti (3). Yellow cards: Kane Koteka.

Just hat we executed in the top of the table clash between the Reds and the Brumbies which came down to two penalties by O’Connor to secure a double for the Reds over the Brumbies this season.

The Brumbies started well and almost looked like they will run away with it after a great start. They kept the their host pinned in their own half.

After they tried a few times it was Folau Fainga’a who went over for the first try of the match and the lead for the Brumbies.

When the Reds finally got the ball in hand, a long pass by O’Connor saw Tom Banks intercept and ran all the way down to score the Brumbies second try.

This gave the visitors a 12-0 lead.

O’Connor kicked the first points for the Reds in the 22nd minutes of the match. Another penalty followed soon and O’Connor again went for points to reduce the lead to 12-6.

A penalty just before the break saw the Brumbies take a 15-6 lead going into the break.

The Reds started the second half better with some magic from O’Connor. He put one of the better cross-kicks which was gathered by Flook, another few phases later Flook got through the defence to get over in the corner.

The Brumbies hot back immediately with Tom Wright going over. That gave the Brumbies a 22-13 lead with 20 minutes to go in the match.

It was again that man O’Connor with another kick across the field which Petaia took brilliantly to score for the home side.

That made the lead shrink to only 22-18.

A penalty from O’Connor made it a one point game. With three minutes left O’Connor took another penalty from a brilliant scrum by the Reds to seal the win for the home side.

All the Reds had to do from here on end was to make sure their defence is good enough to keep the champions out, and they did just that.


Reds – Tries: Flook, Petaia Pens: O’Connor (4) Cons: O’Connor

Brumbies – Tries: Fainga’a, Banks, Wright Pens: White. Cons: Lolesio (2)

0 0 votes
Article Rating
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments